predator

Discussion in 'Action Movies' started by drazil, Sep 4, 2006.

1. drazil

drazil Member

is this movie considere a cult classic.or just a cult or classic?

2. Hacker

Hacker Vescere Bracis Meis

I consider it a classic. I absolutely LOVE The Predator. I think the Predator species is my favorite cinema created creature.

I even endured Predator 2...

:p

3. drazil

drazil Member

was just watchin it,pretty good stoner movie

4. Formertechno34

Formertechno34 Member

Now that's a classic! The second is very good too but many people prefer the first one over the second. I just find them both awesome.

5. articnorth

articnorth Member

i like predator 2 more.

prefer the urban setting hehehee.

6. mondoglove

mondoglove Member

predator is one of my favourite films. i agree with hacker. aside from the alien in 'alien', the predator is the coolest movie monster ever. his weapons, technique and his style are just rad. the invisibility effect still looks excellent. great cast, suspenseful, exciting, and a classic soundtrack. i particularly like the showdown where arnie sheds his modern gear and goes all primordial with the mud.

check out the documentary on the 2 disc predator dvd. some really funny anecdotes behind that film, and a rare glimpse of the original predator: a beak-faced, hunchbacked, three-toed, unscary character.

the sequel made some adequate additions to the creature, but was weak on other points, such as plot. it didn't have characters you can relate to, and the hero was unconvincing. also the tone was pretty unpleasant, making it hard to give a shit. but the moment where all the other predators emerge still gets me every time.

avp: an abomination!

7. OctopusNightstand

OctopusNightstand Member

Terrible movie. Everything in the movie, but the movie itself is completely amazing. Cult classic because it is really not that great of a movie. Predators are crazy.

8. TransAmRocker

TransAmRocker Member

i would consider it more of a classic, but this movie is one of the best movies!!!

9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

1 of Arnolds BEST for sure!!!!

I recently watched PREDATOR 2 and turned it off after 20 mins... What a piece of crap!!!

Irminsul likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Best. Movie. Ever.

Dude111 likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah Predator 2 was a complete let down but for me it's the little bits that annoy, such as in Predator once the mask came off he could barely see yet in P2 the mask comes off and he still has his vision. I don't like it. I know they try and evolve predator every movie too which also annoys me. But yeah, you can't let obvious shit like that slip through.

Dude111 likes this.
  12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I enjoyed the entire franchise and I wasn’t disappointed in Predator II if anything it was slightly better than the original.

The only movie I didn’t like was AVPR: Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No way! In what world and way was predator two better than the original? I eagerly await the response so I can LOL. :p

Dude111 likes this.
  14. undefeated41

undefeated41 Members

A classic.. because it appeals to the general audience not just a specific group

15. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It did so-so at the box office, in the top 1,700 for all film releases, and in the top 500 for R-rated films. Disc sales were lackluster. It hasn't been a mega-hit on any streaming service.

If you love the film, great. I've seen it a couple of times, including the initial theatrical release, and liked it. It has some memorable moments.

However, calling it a classic is going out on a fragile limb. Calling it even a cult classic should raise more than a few eyebrows. It didn't have much of a following in its day. Classic status requires staying power that this film has never shown.

As to the premise that it appeals to a general audience, and not just a specific group, that isn't supported by the numbers. For its level of popularity in the US, which has only 4 percent of the world's population, it's never gotten much of an international audience (among the other 96 percent of the world's population), and it's far more popular among men than women. It's a niche, 80s, Arnold film: nowhere near classic cinema status, not up to this point.

Saying that it will ever be a classic, or even a cult classic, is pure speculation. It is possible, but not clearly probable.

Fourteen years ago, the original poster asked for an opinion, and no opinion is wrong as long as it's honestly-held. However, how much a particular individual liked a film isn't going to provide much support for its standing among the film-loving public at large. Anyone got numbers to support "cult" or "classic" status for this one? "My two best friends and I" may be a cult, but probably not.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020