Pre-locking suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by artxinxlies, Feb 9, 2009.

1. artxinxlies

artxinxlies Member

Hello all! I've been lurking here for a while and I'm so grateful for all the great advice I've found. I, luckily, found this site before spending any money on wax, starter kit, etc. So first of all thanks!

I am planning on locking my hair in a month or two (or three). I'm trying to grow my hair out just a little bit longer before I do the whole process. I have already given my self a little test dreadie just to see how well my hair locks and it's doing great! I have very curly caucasian hair that dreads pretty easy. I'm going to be backcombing and palm rolling. I know everyone has differing opinions on which method is best but I think this is the method that is going to get me where I want to be.

On to the questions...
    1. Is there anything I could/should do to prepare my hair before locking?
    2. I have heard some people talking about palm rolling "too" much and possibly causing the dread to fall out! Does anyone know if this is true/know how much rolling is too much?

I think that's it for now! I'm going to try to include a few pictures of my hair and my one and only dread...[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    p.s. my dread now has a loose curly end and i'm going to keep it and my future ones like that. I like the free flowing look of the curly ends.

2. pypes

pypes Hot alien babes

Id imagine your hair would lock up pretty dam quick anyway tbh, if i had to suggest something it would be wash your hair with something really harsh like dish soap to dry it out a bit.

As for palm rolling I kinda stoped bothering after a month or 2, it's too much like hard work and I like my fat flat dreads, I do have 1 dream I fastidiously palm rolled more so than the others and it is considerably rounder, but it's also less locked at the roots. Correlation != causation so just take that as a little anecdote and pay no heed to me.

3. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

you are super cute arthadshajx? I love those photos^-^your hair will lock up lovely whatever methos you choose

4. artxinxlies

artxinxlies Member

pypes-yeah i don't palm roll the one i have too often and i've noticed when i don't roll it for a while the roots do lock up better...i'll probably occasionally roll them.

luxie- thanks! you and your dreads are beyond cute! I was pretty sure before i even did my "test" dread that my hair would lock pretty good considering the back of it does that every night when I go to sleep haha

5. Luxiebow

Luxiebow Senior Member

yey! funny what your hair will do when you leave it alone. little rascals they are knotting up^-^be sure to keep us updated <3

6. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

didnt see this till just now your hairs a dreadiers dream
    u say you want to prepare the hair to dread in a month or 3 then go on to say it dreads overnight

to prepare the hair to be dreads in a mointh throw away the comb
    wash with residue free sopap
    take frequesnt naps
    the time yopud waste palm rollinmg spend curled up under a blanket reading a goiiod book
    in month see if u got dreads i bet u will

palm rollinmg an be done anytime even years down the road, but is really alotta wasted effort that could be spent on more enjoyable things
    preparing for dreading is also preparing your mind for not doing anythinmg to your hair
    the only thing id concider nesacaruy is seperating dreadlings that try to grow together unless u want really fat congos
    id avoid that early thouigh as fat ones can be unpredictyible in how iratiting they can be to the scalp and how hard they can be to cloean
    your hair will most likely form a nice mix of thin and thick dreads on its own but judging by texture in betting more will lean towards the thick sidfe unless u keep on top of keeping themn thin in the earlky stages

to sumerize
    to prepare for dreads stop thinkinmg soi much about methods you intend to use to produce the looks you desire instread celebrate the freedom from having to think about such things and abandon yourself to the will of the dread..
    id suggest postinmg pics weekly asyouir progress should be quick
    but also realize no matter the mthod you wll have daysd of disapointment
    i trulyu believ e though that tyrying to force your will over the will of your hair will cause more daysd of disatisfaction when thinghsd are not 100% perfect
    but abandoninmg yourself to the process you realize perfections in the process itselkf, and in the imperfections of the individual dreads u find the most satisfaction

7. Pat__

Pat__ Banned

This

8. artxinxlies

artxinxlies Member

thanks for the advice! although frequent naps and no work would be great unfortunately it's not something i can work right now. :( I work in cosmetology and it is important to look professional. And i want my dreads to give an impression of being well kept and show people that dreads on a white girl don't have to look like they just happened while i wasn't paying attention. I know this goes against some peoples opinions BUT i think dreads are beautiful things that can be whatever you want them and be unique to each person! :D

however! i have been doing what I can get away with. I've only been washing maybe a few times a week and observing the knots and twists that are forming and trying not to disturb them. mainly, the only reason i'm waiting a little while is that the very bottom of my hair is only about 2 inches or so but I might just go ahead and dread everything else and then add them in later... either way i'll post pictures after their birth day!

9. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

post some now sounds like theyre already starting

10. artxinxlies

artxinxlies Member

I would but I don't have my own camera! I'll get my roomie to take pictures soon