Pre-European Culture In Henry County

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by Aerianne, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2. apothecaryvybez

apothecaryvybez Member

so i guess you live near mcdonough? my friend lives there

3. Aerianne

Yes, not to far from McDonough.

4. f3rnbabyvoodoo

f3rnbabyvoodoo Guest

Wow outta the blue I made a profile here on hipppppppforums and I live/d in henry county and spent lots of time playing in the dirt looking and never found arrowheads. I plan on reading the reports in the links and maybe doing some of my own investigation. I'm an anthropology student for shit like this. Mcdonough seemed bland but maybe i need to dig deeper literally never even thought about it. thanks much chica

5. Aerianne

I know...Now, as I cross all these rivers I think about these people who once lived around them. I'm fascinated. I haven't gotten a chance to do any artifact hunting around here, though.

6. GardenGuy

GardenGuy Senior Member

Woodland Indians and the Creek culture that emerged lived near creeks and rivers.
    The sandy soil could be tilled with wooden and stone tools. The soil on the uplands was generally hard rocky clay and better left as hunting grounds or orchards for berries, plums, persimmons and wild apples.
    And there were no wells in those days. If you had no surface water, you did not live there!
    So you might find the odd arrow deep in the woods from a hunting party, but 99% of artifacts will be near a stream or river.