Prayer

Discussion in 'Agnosticism and Atheism' started by Total Darkness, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Does anyone pray despite being a disbeliever in God or higher power?

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Maybe out of hope, which I guess gives me doubts.

3. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

To whom would one pray?

4. Total Darkness

The Easter bunny.

5. Total Darkness

In all seriousness i do find myself praying despite considering myself agnostic.

Its more of an expression of gratitude. To whom? I guess it doesn't matter. I don't worry much about whether my prayers are answered or not. Though they usually are. I guess its just another avenue of expression.

6. Noserider

Who do you think answers them?

Not trying to be difficult. I just find it interesting a non-believer would engage in such a practice. I mean, you seem to be suggesting something more substantial than an atheist or agnostic saying, "Oh, please God, don't let that cop see that I ran that red light!"

Eric! likes this.
  7. Total Darkness

I don't know. I don't know whether there is some higher power that answers me or i manifest it myself.

Be as difficult as you wish. :)

8. Noserider

There have been debates on the "power of prayer" in a purely scientific way. That is, verbalizing something may give one an imagined sense of accountability, thus one is more likely to obtain what they "prayed" for. So, perhaps it is something you manifest yourself.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  9. Total Darkness

I've heard something similar to that but with writing. I guess writing can also be a form of prayer.

Noserider likes this.
  10. Noserider

Writing is more like religion :)

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I prayed when we were waiting on my mom's test results to come back for cancer

To whom? Who knows.
    I believe in energy.

Back when I was a Christian I still mainly only prayed during times of desperation (i was always a bad Christian). Old habits die hard

Eric! likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

An agnostic can still pray though? You just don't know who or what you're praying to.

Meliai likes this.
  13. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

14. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

pray constantly

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I'm thankful to who knows who. For Fuck knows what.

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

At the very least, prayer can help you focus your thoughts and priorities. It also gives you a sense of control through communicating and making sense of your emotions. Writing down your desires or struggles can be therapeutic, so I am sure speaking them aloud also has the same effect.

I don't necessarily believe in the "power of positivity" in the way the some people do (as in manifesting good things by thinking about them), but I do think "praying" can make you more likely to act in ways that will lead to the fulfillment your prayer. And that isn't a bad thing.

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ah, you mean willin' it.

Don't knock the power of willin' things though, I've see a lot come to fruition because we sat down and started willin'. Cause also come back and bite you twice as hard, but every know and again, you can will things along in life.

18. Total Darkness

Doesn't always have to be about willing things. Prayer can also be an expression of gratitude for what you already have.

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oktober 28th, 2015. Martinsville, Virginia. 3pm.
    The whole reason Irminsul was in Amerika in the first place, and the race wound down to its final 200 laps of the Goodys Headache Relief 500. Jeff Gordon was in 3rd place but had been suffering difficulties on pit road losing positions all race. Another bad pit stop regulated him to down the order in an almost impossible situation to get the job done.

Irm sits up in the turn 1 sprint tower stand, her hopes and dreams now only rely on hope, luck and willin'. That whole year, that whole trip was specifically targeted and designed for that spot in time, that moment, that destination, my life.

And we sat in the stands and we held hands and we willed and willed. 15th, 10th, 5th... Come on boy keep going keep going. 3rd, 2nd... Come on boy hit your marks you got this boy come on! 1st. Checkered flag! Thank you very much!

Did we really will it, was it fate, luck? Dunno, don't care. But someone was sitting with us that day I believe. It was just too epic, too coincidental.. Too perfect.

Willin' it.

And it was not just the will that day, it was everything. We needed specific moment in time to happen, it happened, I could see the future, I could feel the intensity, I could see it develop. Matt Kenseth sends Joey Logano into the wall right in front is us, 60,000 people erupting and we Willin it, because we need Logano out to win, and we willed it and I saw it happen 20 seconds before it happened.

Was such an epic day that never should have happened. It was miserable and raining. The radars were fucked the race would go ahead. I sat in a tent, come on God, Nerthus and whoever. Stop the rain. The rain stopped it rained everywhere except that ribbon of asphalt and concrete. Race should never have started, once Jeff won the heavens opened.

It was literally meant to be.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

prayer can take many forms. most of them are at least mostly harmless.

i don't disbelieve in the infinite possibilities of the unknown,
    rather i believe, that whatever exists,
    owes nothing to what people tell each other to pretend.

i prefer my gods friendly, mostly harmless, and with no desire to be feared.
    also invisible, and independent of any need for physical form.

i pray to unknown invisible friends.

i have to admit i don't often think in terms of prayers as distinct from things like ritual chanting.
    or even "talking to myself".

there is energy power in many things.
    things that are unknown, have no limits.

save those they impose on themselves,
    to do more good then harm.

i don't want to tell anyone what to pretend,
    only that there are some things that are not changed by what they do.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018