Powerful, New Chinese Laser May "Rip Apart Empty Space"

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by skip, Jan 27, 2018.

1. skip

skip Founder Administrator

There is an International race going on to develop the most powerful laser on Earth. At the moment the Chinese are leading, with their Superintense Ultra fast Laser Facility, capable of generating 5 PW or Petawatts of power in a pulse that exists for less than a trillionth of a second.

Now they are developing their Station of Extreme Light (SEL), which they expect to generate up to 100 PW. As they focus the beam into such a tiny space, only 3 microns wide, it will generate enormous amounts of heat, possibly hot enough to enable nuclear fusion.

When focused in a vacuum, this beam could literally rip apart space at the subatomic level, according to Quantum Theory. It seems empty space isn't empty at all. Sub-atomic matter and anti-matter particles pop into existence, then instantaneously annihilate each.

Scientists hope these powerful lasers will teach them more about the physical universe, and apply this ever more powerful technology to new uses.

Read more here:http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018...-so-powerful-they-could-rip-apart-empty-space

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

blows my mind how they can focus the laser on a single mol of helium or hydrogen.

skip likes this.
  4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yep.

I was going to say

[​IMG]

skip likes this.
  5. skip

skip Founder Administrator

I understand the Chinese are also developing laser weapons, including a satellite killer.

And according to the article the US is falling fall behind in this Laser Race.
    That's due to the under-funding of science in the US.

"When focused in a vacuum, this beam could literally rip apart space at the subatomic level, according to Quantum Theory. It seems empty space isn't empty at all. Sub-atomic matter and anti-matter particles pop into existence, then instantaneously annihilate each."

So instead of annihilating each other, the particles are blasted apart by the laser...!

I just read another article about "particle consciousness" that could actually explain the missing ingredient in the universe.

Perhaps consciousness is manifest in these matter/anti-matter particles that exist for such short instances.

Perhaps those are thoughts or fragments of thoughts of a consciousness at some level?

So what would happen when you blow those matter/anti-matter particles and consciousnesses apart as the laser might do? I guess we're going to find out.

That would REALLY be mind blowing for some "thing"!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  6. Twogigahz

Twogigahz Senior Member

Um, why do you think all this laser research is for? Blasting satellites and missiles out of the sky. Can one even fathom what a PW is....?

7. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Remember five years ago when they said the same thing about the hydron collider or whatever?

World will either end or it won't. In the meantime I'm going to live, bruhs

Eric! likes this.
  8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

At the moment 500 Megawatts to start nuclear fusion with magnetic confinement, 500 terawatts with lasers

So, if they can get it working Magnetic confinement would require 1 millionth of the power to start a reaction compared to lasers

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I run on laser beans