Poverty and the cost of living today.

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Bilby, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Discuss poverty in different parts of the world.Also, discuss what you consider to be poverty. Moreover, discuss issues of the cost of living today.
    Situation in Australia many young professionals such school teachers and solicitors living in capital cities cannot get into the housing market and therefore stay on the rent roundabout. Staff in country supermarkets often own their own houses albeit on a mortgage and drive a late model car.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    swan616 likes this.
  2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Houses might get a lot cheaper pretty quickly soon

Joshua Van likes this.
  3. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

Milwaukee and Waukesha Wisconsin have some poverty stricken areas. Families have to figure out almost on a daily basis where their next meal is coming from.

Milwaukee is still running the school meal program during COVID-19 just so children get a meal 5 days a week all year long (during summer too)

Cost of living seems decent. Poverty stricken homes start at 5K. Middle income homes about 100K. High income homes start at 225K.

Incomes are higher due to lots of union trade jobs throughout Wisconsin

Off topic
    However one of the worst and hardest to fix attributes of Milwaukee is its racial segregation. Only comparable to a prison imo....
    This seems to be the reason why poverty cannot break through this endless barrier and have any chance to get better. Sad

Eric! and stormountainman like this.
  4. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Poverty for children in the UK, thanks to the scumbag 'nasty party' !!!

5. Bilby

I get the feeling that some people in the capital cities think that un-affordable is a wonderful thing.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

City folk, they'd pay to breathe air.

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Milwaukee isn’t alone.

Boston is also running the school meal program while the schools are shutdown, There are designated locations throughout the city in which the parents pick up lunch for their child or children.

8. elusivemuse

elusivemuse Members

Poverty, race, and class are irrevocably linked within America and it's hard to facilitate a conversation about one without including the others.
    Amid the COVID-19 crisis, I am anticipating the aftermath to look terrible for black and brown communities. It also seems that there's going to be a new large subset of the population without income or insurance which will hopefully lead to some type of movement.
    "Middle class" folks are learning quickly that they're working class, and a couple of paychecks from poverty.

We'll... see...

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I think it's relative. What it means to be poor in a first world country is not the same thing as what it means to be poor in a third world country.

Also,

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  10. Bilby

Agreed. I read once a low income person in Australia is in the top 7% of wealthy people in the world. Not sure if that is still the case now the Australian dollar has depreciated lately, We do have our homeless people like any other county. They usually have mental health issues.

soulcompromise likes this.
  11. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

it annoys me sometimes how people define being skint, usually the younger ones, I remember one time being so skint that I had no food and about a fiver to get me until the next unemployment benefit, now to me that's being skint, when you're struggling to buy food or pay rent, a lot of youngsters think they're skint because they can't afford the latest smartphone, or a bigger tv, or fancy clothes. I suppose it says a lot about people and their priorities

Adamskiffle and Bilby like this.
  12. Bilby

Supermarkets can save you money on food , but can also a place to waste your money.Breakfast cereals, tinned spaghetti, in fact most foods that come out of a can except fish. During the last GFC Jane Brody from the New York Times recommended as austerity measure people should buy canned vegetables. I don't know about the USA but where I live canned vegetables are more expensive than frozen and fresh when in season.
    I could live on $50 a week if I had to. I am still cooking up purlsane that grows as a weed where I live. I have also eaten plantain and nettles.

13. Time Out of Mind

Time Out of Mind Members

They may indeed have to someday. I'm sure some big high tax cities are thinking about an "Air Tax"

14. Time Out of Mind

Time Out of Mind Members

I would say poverty is somewhat geographical. If you have the tools and skills, staying in the forest easily provides your basic needs with only a small upfront investment. Where living in the concrete jungle is a never ending expense. Food and shelter most always have a cost.

Native Americans made living in nature work. When resources thinned they simply moved to another area allowing the land to recover. By today's standards they were way below the poverty level. Yet they survived and perpetuated. If I recall my high school American history, native American societies downfall was not poverty, but European settlers with diseases and guns.

I am fortunate to live a few miles from a National Forest. I can hunt, fish, and find wild edibles most of the year. More than half the worlds supply fresh water surrounds my state. With the items I already own, I could live off the land for zero dollars for a long time if need be. And most of you can too.

Bilby, marcco and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

It's funny because where I live less than $100,000 is considered "Low Income". Since I get paid by a government agency that only has to pay more than state minimum wage I get $14.80 when my local minimum wage is $15.00 an hour, I get no vacation and only 1 sick day a year. Fortunately I live in a rent controlled apartment and only py $600 a month.

C/S,
    Rev J

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

welcome back to the forums, it's been a while i think.

17. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Yeah, Thanks. Life has been crazy on my end. I'm easing myself back in to here.

C/S,
    Rev J

18. Most of my adult life, my family has been "below the poverty line." We have lived on one income so that I could stay home and raise/homeschool our kids. I never took anything from the government except healthcare for my kids, which we hardly ever used. I wouldn't have even taken that if healthcare were anywhere near reasonable. We never had extended family to rely on. We live in an area with very high property taxes and we are still paying off our house. Despite all this we have never felt "poor." I have only been late paying bills twice in 20 years and that was just an oversight, not because we lacked funds. We have no debt besides our mortgage. We don't prioritize money, however, proper handling is important. We have never fought over money and my kids never felt like they were lacking. Although, we don't live the way most people around us do. We have never been on vacation, we take day trips instead. We buy cheaper smart phones and take care of them, we have never even had to get a screen fixed. I often use rags and dish towels to cut down on the paper towels we use. I make my own chicken broth whenever I cook a chicken, usually turning it into soup or a pot pie. We try not to waste anything and we try to stay away from a lot of expensive disposable products. There are a ton of things that people could do to make their quality of life better even if they are poor. I don't think people should limit themselves based on money. Sometimes you just need to think of ways to optimize what you have instead of dwelling on what you don't.

Bilby likes this.
  19. Bilby

Yes many people could be more resourceful if they tried. I also make a chicken stock in a crock pot to make soup as soon as I get two chicken frames.

20. Bilby

My parents would have saved themselves a bit of money if they had a few more tools. Having said that Mum was quite happy to buy garden tools.