Potty Training

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by skye*, Jun 3, 2004.

1. skye*

skye* Member

HELLO, IM SURE ALOT HAVE YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT THIS.
    I ON THE OTHER HAND DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT, I WANT TO START HAVING MY DAUGHTER USE THE POTTY INSTEAD OF HER DIAPER AND WAS WONDERING IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY ADVICE FOR ME.
    wOULD IT BE EASIER IF I WENT TO THE BATHROOM AT THE SAME TIME SO I CAN SHOW HER, OR IS THERE OTHER WAYS THAT WOULD WORK BEST.
    ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. SHE IS ONLY 16 MONTHS OLD BUT I WANTED TO TRY TO START NOW OPPOSE TO LATER.

THANKS MUCH:)

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

I personally think 16 mo. is too early to start potty training. My daughter is also 16 months old. She knows what poop/pee is, and she tries to take her diaper off when it is wet/stinky. But, she doesn't know how to control it, yet. She doesn't realize she is about to poop/pee until she is actually doing it. If you want to get her acclimated to the potty, let her play on it. Let her watch you, and tell her about it "See, mommy poops/pees in the potty!" But don't expect too much. Expect another 1-2 yrs before she is completely potty trained.

3. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

16 months does seem a bit early to start potty training full-on. I think getting her/him used to the potty is okay, but at that age they're still having accidents and lord knows if you go out in public THAT'S when those stinky little accidents usually occur. :eek:

When I felt like my kids were ready (Around 2-2 1/2 years old) I just stopped putting diapers on them altogether, except at night. They don't like being wet and/or stinky, and usually started going potty with no problems after only a day. I think my son might have taken a bit longer, but not by much.

Maybe it's just me, but I felt like a day worth of cleaning pee pee off the floor was better than doing it every other day for a year. :p

4. Brighid

Brighid Member

I took my kids to the bathroom with me as soon as they could walk. No pressure, no telling them what to do, just cheerily saying, "I got to pee-pee!" and letting them see how it's done and flush the toilet. (They loved flushing!) It wasn't long before they would one day just up and run to the potty themselves. Children learn by example, and they want to do everything we do.

5. JosieB

JosieB Member

I too would have to agree that 16months seems a little early. My youngest is 22mo and I wouldn't try. My oldest was fully potty trained about a week after her 3rd Birthday.

Good luck with all if you decide to do it :)

6. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

It might be too early, like many people have said. I was using the potty myself at 14 months, but most babies aren't like that. By the time a child is this old they have learn to ignor the need to not soil themself, and learned that it's ok to go in the diaper. That that point it's usually better to wait until you see the "signs of readiness." Though, giving opportunities without consiquence is always a good idea, just don't be worried about outcomes. Just think of it as a new experience for her, not something you are teaching her, and you'll probably have fun and learn a lot from eachother!

Come talk about it on the diaper free thread!

http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7975

7. Earthy Mama

Earthy Mama Feel my wrath... ;)

Croix just runs around naked, when he starts to go if he forgot to go to the "potty" or didn't get their in time I really quick put it under him. When we're outside he just runs around with the dog and pees with him, lol.

8. skye*

skye* Member

i cant beleive it, we woke up late today and i had to go so i figured id try putting her on her potty to see what happened. By the time i was done i heard tinkling[​IMG]
    Than she tryed to see in it and stayed on didnt want to get off,lol. I picked her up and saw she had gone[​IMG]!!!i yelled yay you went potty and gave her a big hug.I am so extatic, she did it all on her own and i didnt even tell her anything. She wanted to climb back on it, it was so cute[​IMG] SO i figure every time i go wich is quite often cause im pg i'll let her join me on hers. Couldnt hurt and i am so happy my little angel is growing up[​IMG] She didnt want a diaper back on im going to go get some pull ups, that would be easier, she takes her diaper off and her pants already has for months now.
    yay, had to share [​IMG]

9. lunar forest

lunar forest Member

how great for you, skye! I think just give her chances to go is the best way to do it. Just BE RELAXED about it, and everything will go smoothly for you, I'm sure.

I have our potty chair in the living room with us, and ds walks around naked, and just sits on it when he needs to go (and usually tells me when he's done.)

10. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

We also kept the potty in the living room since we spent so much time in there, and at night we'd bring it into the room so our daughter could go as soon as she woke up. That seems to be when they always peed the most, and the hardest time to be able to make it to the potty in time.