post your most disturbing vegetarian facts!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by x_WaX_x, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Ah but what land are you talking about? Remember only 18% of land in the USA is arable. Cattle are often raised on land that is not arable. To claim that such land could be used to grow spinage or any other crop is factually incorrect.
    Hamburgers for fast food outlets are made from old dairy cows, not prime beef.

2. Rigamarole

Rigamarole Senior Member

DISTURBING FACT:

Vegetarians are secretly made of lettuce.

You don't even want to know what vegans are made of.

3. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

Eagle Scout...

Kidding, I can't kill bugs either. For cruelty and karmic purposes. I just don't feel unnecessarily killing anything does the world any good. Every living creature, even the small ones, deserve compassion and the right to live.

Of course, there are millions of microscopic organisms being crushed under us constantly, but when people bring up that arguement, I just have to laugh it's so ridiculous.

4. Bilby

Watch Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch sometime.

5. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

I don't even understand why people kill bugs, really.... [unless a wasp is like, attacking you---which I wouldn't do anyway, because I'm sure the wasp would win]... I just don't get why people feel the need to squash something as harmless as an ant.

Some people are just "grossed out" by bugs and think it's a legitimate reason to kill them ....and that's just carelessness.

I've never found bugs gross really...when I was little, I would sit outside like a fricking geek and literally observe bugs...and what they did/how they lived.... unfortunately that's what lead me to my first bee sting :p

I wanted to pet the "poor drowning bee" in my kiddie pool, and I paid for it :&

Anyway back on the O.P:

One of the most disturbing things to me are the way chickens are treated in factory farms. Their beaks are cut off when they arrive, and the workers literally just THROW the poor chickens into their crates... and pack them so tightly that they are literally like, sitting on top of each other. Most of the chickens are crippled immediately, and are killed before they even reach "adulthood" for fast food joints and such.

I protested KFC on this once. :&

6. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

Mosquitos are also fair game tbh.

7. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

Just wondering actually, do bugs have nervous systems and stuff? Can they feel pain?

8. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

well, they deffinitly have a nervous system, but it can't be proven that they actualy feel pain:

"Although it is impossible to know the subjective experience of another animal with certainty, the balance of the evidence suggests that most invertebrates do not feel pain. The evidence is most robust for insects, and, for these animals, the consensus is that they do not feel pain."

9. Elle

Elle Senior Member

its of course much harder to understand whether or not "bugs" feel pain and are capable of suffering or feeling. they are SO different from us and we have a hard time understaning what we cant relate to. but even if bugs do not feel and have no emotion i still really have no way of prooving this or knowing. so ill give the benefit of the doubt and assume that they do and treat them with the same respect as i'd treat any other living creature. so then either way, no harm done.

10. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

exactly

11. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

Well, even if IIII didn't feel pain, I know I sure as hell wouldn't want to die right now...even though it would be painless...

so, I use that theory for things like that ...

and aside from all that, I just can't even brinnnng myself to do it, period. I wouldn't kill a bug anymore than I would cut down a tree.... because it just doesn't FEEL right.

12. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

I was just thinking what you said actually. It really is beside the point whether they feel pain or not. Chances are they don't want to die.

13. Bilby

14. inbloom

inbloom as the crow flies...

Yeah, I read that quite awhile back.

See, in that instance, I'd let the doctor do whatever he or she felt was best for my child. I want to raise my kids vegan, but I also want them to be healthy. I believe it's possible to raise a healthy, vegan child, but you have to be soooo very very careful with it. And listen to a doctor, for fuck's sake.

15. Bilby

I have read Nourishing Traditions. I thought Sally Fallon was a bit extreme in her views but she was preaching to the converted in regards to me for much of the time. To give an example most breakfast cereals are highly processed and are expensive in terms of nutrition. I am a wholefoods person.

Hey maybe you should attend the Wise Traditions conference and you would have another story to write about.

16. Apples+Oranjes

Apples+Oranjes Bekkasaur

How cruelty free are you, really, if you let your child die of anemia?

And they literally let him die...they were warned, and they refused to get the child the help he needed....

And for fucks sake, I just had to learn the hard way, of B12's importance...if you're going to be vegan, or make your children vegans... fucking take vitamins.

There's nothing "unnaturual" or "new medicine" about vitamins, so I do NOT see what these parents were fussing about.

They sounded like whack jobs, in my opinion.

17. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

ditto