post your most disturbing vegetarian facts!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by x_WaX_x, Feb 17, 2006.

1. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

>Chickens are raised in crowded, unnatural enviroments. There are usually 3,000 or more in one pen. The birds are not able to move about freely or even spread their wings due to the over crowding. They use "nests" made out of metal and they are bred by unnatural means.

>In order for hens to lay mass amounts of eggs, artificial light is on 17 hours a day. Each hen averages about 300 eggs per year. Once a hen's egg prodution declines they are slaughtered. Most hens live an average of 5 to 6 years.

>Veal calfs are raised in cages on an anemic diet. The cages are so small that the calves cannot stand or even move in order to clean themselves. The veal calves are kept in the dark most of their lives within the cages. They are subjected to a cruel and horrid death.

>More than 7 billion animals die yearly for human consumption.

>Most food animals are killed by the process of Kosher slaughter. Kosher slaughter involves hanging an animal particullarly a cow or pig by its hooves. The animal's neck is cut without any kind of anethesia. The animal hangs and bleeds to death.

>660,000 animals are murdered in the United States every hour for their flesh!

and there's alot more add yours!..., oh and:

http://members.fortunecity.com/ricardo005/Ricardo4you/id5.html

you can add your own website too, with factoids and such,

peace,
    Angela

2. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Your source is a moron. Kosher is a tiny percentage of slaughter (Halal, acceptable to Muslims is a much larger market) and pigs would NEVER be killed under the Kosher laws. (nor halal)

what does happen in kosher slaughter is the cow/steer/sheep is placed in a metal "cage" that holds them closely and securely. the cage rotates so the animal is upside down and the throat is slit. yes, the animal must bleed out. Leviticus says that we should not eat blood of an animal.
    Since it is virtually impossible to remove all blood, capillaries cannot be removed in butchering, I have taken this to be a comandment NOT to consume flesh.

3. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Well, when I was in university there was a guy, dad was Indian and mom was European. Decided to live closer to Hindu than European, after all dude had an Indian first and last name.

So he became vegetarian.

He wasn't a "I'll just have the salad" kind of dude. He grew up with a vegetarian father in a vegetarian culture and knew all the dietary trips.

I watched him waste away.

His hair fell out in clumps. His skin hung on his bone structure.

He persisted.

He developed a cough.

He persisted.

He was tired all the time. Wouldn't take coffee to compensate.

When he collapsed he was rushed to a hospital.

He was told he had one of two choices. Start eating meat again, or die.

He was literally dying.

4. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

Bullshit.

Humans can survive without MEAT, all you need is the right amount of protein, vitamines, etc. Meat isn't the only food that contains protein.

5. drumminmama

gee she doesn't say ANYTHING about the inaccuraces in her post....

6. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Most food animals are killed by the process of Kosher slaughter. Kosher slaughter involves hanging an animal particullarly a cow or pig by its hooves. The animal's neck is cut without any kind of anethesia. The animal hangs and bleeds to death.

Uh, and since when would the Jewish people eat pork? That's been considered unclean since Moses/Moshe! If someone's slaughtering pigs in the same style as them, that's one thing... but don't call it Kosher. That's religious; nothing more, nothing less. God's chosen people are ordered not to even TOUCH a pig's carcass! (Leviticus 11:7-8)
    love,
    mom

7. drumminmama

exactly. the Web source is innaccuarate.
    the animals are not hung by hooves, that is too difficult for the slaughterer

8. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

i think whats "most disturbing" is when it's put plain and simply..

why would one want to have something in their body that was already in another creatures body?

drinking something SQUEEZED from an animal.. eeeww!

eating something SQEEZED from a birds body.. :confused: thats just .. well nevermind

seriously though.. am i weird for thinking of it that way to begin with?

9. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

alright, big deal. the disturbing fact is that they let them bleed to death, not that they're hung by their hooves or not, or what the prossess is called, its cruel, then end.

10. hippie_chick666

hippie_chick666 Senior Member

Actually, that IS how they kill a lot of pigs. At IBP, or what is now Tyson, the pigs were slaughtered hanging upside down by their feet/hooves and their necks were cut with a double edge knife, bleeding them to death. My boyfriend used to work there as a roller, someone who rolls the dead hogs so their "gams" (ankles, I think) can be hung up on hooks. The method is not "kosher" or anything, but that's how some animals are killed at certain plants.

11. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

thank you. ha.=)

12. thecrowing86

thecrowing86 Member

I find it disturbing that animal tendons are in foods like marshmallows and Skittles, and that the lining of a cow's stomach is in a lot of cheeses.

13. x_WaX_x

x_WaX_x Member

ok, i did not know that. thats quite, well, gross.

14. drumminmama

this answers wax and hippie chickie:
    yes, standard slaughter does this Kosher, and that is what wax's source was saying, cannot.
    All animals are bled out to some degree.
    An "ethical" slaughterer will cut swift and deep enough to sever all the nerves as well.
    the assembly line killing of the West does not allow that.

Remember, I do not defend slaughter of any kind, but I also want to clarify when anti-Jewish propaganda gets spread, and that is what wax's source was.
    THere's plenty of GOOD info out there that bad and inaccurate info is not needed.

15. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

The most disturbing thing I've seen was a picture of a skinned fox on a PETA website. Theres quite alot of bad stuff in Meet Your Meat too.

16. Spacer

Spacer 'Enlighten yourself'

The Halal & Kosher way of killing meat is totally unnecessary. It's barbaric in this day an age. There's lot of things in the world which used to be tradition and culture which people have stopped due to the realisation that there is no need for them anymore. The same should happen with this. Here's some info on it below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/2977086.stm

As Drumminmama pointed out, Halal killings are more prominent, but there are around 1 billion (more or less) Muslims in the world. The EU should ban it outright. Obviously Israel and most Arab countries won't. I think they should but I know from an Israeli friend of mine that it's something that older people in Israel take very seriously (it's probably one thing they would agree with the Palestinians on!). Also I've a Pakistani friend who was appalled when I told him there was no need for it and it should be banned.

17. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

RE :Bullshit.

Humans can survive without MEAT, all you need is the right amount of protein, vitamines, etc. Meat isn't the only food that contains protein.

Some people can't.

Believe me, the dude tried and almost ended up six feet under.

Vegetarians die earlier than normal people. You can bleat all you want about health but the epidemological data will prove you wrong.

18. Floyd Soul

Floyd Soul The Walkin' Dude

Vegetarians do not die earlier than "normal" people.

Do you have something to back that statement up?

19. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Believe me, the dude tried and almost ended up six feet under.

Actually, I've heard about this before too. Apparently SOME people honestly can't live on a vegetarian diet. It had something to do with an inability to process some mineral or something.

But it's supposed to be pretty rare.
    love,
    mom

20. silent

silent Member

If the guy was dying it's most likely cause he wasn't eating porperly. many people say they turned vegetarian but just eat junk food and don't balance their diet properly...
    That doesn't apply to all vegetarians and vegans...

As far as vegetarians living less time than meat eaters, it all depends but with all the conditions that eating meat leads to I find that healthy vegetarians should live longer...

Oh and i think you guys can be too harsh sometimes with new-comers or any person that is misinformed... anyone can read something from a bad source...
    You shouldn't act like know-it-alls... Besides we learn something new everyday...