Post Your Holiday Meals

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by everything bagel, Dec 1, 2019.

1. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone is eating this holiday season. Post pics from your Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's meals, good eats at holiday parties and son on...

So I got to do Thanksgiving dinner for the 1st time and I don't like turkey and neither does my mom and rather than do a basic Thanksgiving dinner that at least 2 of us wouldn't like, I took it back to its roots. After watching a history show about the colonial period of American history, it mentioned how the Natives and Pilgrims probably had lobster that 1st Thanskgiving. So, this year, I went with a whole New England themed Thanksgiving dinner. Thanksgiving? Sure. Turkey Day? Not in my house...

For starters, pan seared scallops wrapped in bacon, and Cape Cods (equal parts vodka and cranberry juice with seltzer and lime juice)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The soup is homemade Rhode Island style clam chowder. Traditional New England clam chowder calls for a heavy cream broth and a number of my guests (and myself) are lactose intolerant, so I went with the clear broth

[​IMG]

And the main attraction, lobster with corn on the cob, andouille sausage, and boiled red potatoes...
    [​IMG]

And for desert, I made an apple tart topped with melted extra sharp cheddar cheese. Apparently apple pie and cheddar cheese is a thing in New England? Any NE natives, feel free to verify or deny this claim, but it is something I've heard.
    [​IMG]

What are you guys eating this time of year??

Orison likes this.
  2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That looks so good, I love nontraditional Thanksgiving dinners and I love that that meal might have actually been the OG traditional meal.

I didnt get any pictures of our Thanksgiving dinner but I did make a banana bread the night before and snapped a picture. It looks a little burned around the edges only because I added a honey glaze to the top and it caramelized

20191127_214535.jpg

Orison and everything bagel like this.
  4. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

That banana bread looks delicious!

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Probably stuff with pork as usual.

20190204_132414.jpg
    20190208_132307.jpg
    20181225_123813.jpg
    20181225_225301.jpg
    20181222_191337.jpg

Orison and everything bagel like this.
  6. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

That pork belly looks amazing

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah, I'm really good with pork, it's a family tradition. :) here's a pic of the pork before and after cooking. I used a pool cue ball to show its size, this was last year. So what I like to do is a family tradition flavour but infused with a bit of Chinese cooking, so I cook it like Chinese BBQ pork belly, but using family spices and things to infuse the flavours and the style of cooking together. I love making pork belly, but any pork I am good with. :)

20181216_111506.jpg 20181223_162311.jpg
    20181223_160814.jpg
    20181223_154653.jpg
    20181225_224553.jpg

everything bagel likes this.
  8. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Yes! I love Chinese pork belly gua bao. The Chinese really know how to cook amazing pork dishes. And, obviously so do you!

9. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Everything Bagel--Are you a New Englander?

:)

10. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

No. Just a fan of the food :)