post-pandemic vow

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Xoču, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Xoču

Xoču Members

I have been a secret barefooter for years, going shoeless outside only when alone, and only when I could be reasonably sure I won't be seen by anyone I know. My spouse doesn't know, and my friends don't know. When I've been in public without shoes I am constantly nervous that I'll run into an acquaintance, have to explain myself, and acquire a reputation as crazy. When strangers have asked me or warned me about my bare feet, my heart has always started thumping. The pandemic has made me realize how short life is, and how trivial these worries are. Plus the ability to work from home has permitted me to spend weeks and weeks with nothing on my feet, and going back to status quo ante starts to feel ridiculous. So I hereby pledge that once warm weather returns, and especially when the pandemic subsides, I will let my spouse in on my secret, stop worrying about running into acquaintances, and start doing my barefoot thing when I feel like it, because to do otherwise is just plain silly and counterproductive (and life really is too short to keep saying "someday" to myself). If I end up surprising or amusing friends or relatives, so be it. I'll survive. Anyone else in my shoes, so to speak, who wants to join me in this vow?

2. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

Congratulations on putting your best bare foot forward. I can definitely relate to your post as I was painfully foot shy as a child up through my early 20's, as bad as it could be. To put in simply I thought there was something wrong with me but as I read many stories here and on other forums I was delighted and relieved that I was not alone. When you turn the page and rid yourself of this silly phobia (at least that how I now look at it) your world will open up and you will experience the pleasure and fun that you have been denying yourself for years.

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your bare feet.

jagerhans and Xoču like this.
  3. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

I've been a secret barefooter in my childhood. then when in my late 20's-early 30's i resumed underground barefooting in woods and desolate places but after a short while i came out as a full time barefooter and stopped giving a shit about the opinions of other people. never looked back. I only live once and a whole life is too long to please the aesthetic sense of the random Joe on the street. No one cares about your opinion, so neither should you about their stupid, clumsy, conformist way of thinking. most people are just dogs and sheep. it is tragicomic that with covid i started worrying again about people just ofr the issue of safety and hygiene and expecting people to be super paranoid and scared. turned out i was wrong. a lot of people thinks it is all bullshit and all the rest are rarely so brazen to dare to make a fuss with you. so, I am barefooting again, and I'm done forever, for good, once and for all with worrying about what people thinks.

Xoču and Barefoot-boy like this.
  4. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

Use this Covid-situation as the most perfect excuse and cover to come out. Simply tell everybody that you picked up a new habit for your own comfort while you were cooped up inside in quarantine. I'm sure it'll start rolling from there. 2020 was full of all sorts of craziness, so I doubt people will think twice about your rather insignificant situation.

Xoču likes this.
  5. Xoču

Xoču Members

Just what I have in mind!

M_Ranko likes this.
  6. mmicmann

mmicmann Member

Yes, most people won't notice, or if they do, won't say anything. Usually the best response that it's more comfortable. If you get questions such as "Where are your shoes?" you answer "At home in my closet." or, "Aren't you afraid you'll step on something?" say, "Like what? The ground?" The important thing is to not get defensive.

Xoču likes this.
  7. Xoču

Xoču Members

Yes indeed, that's been my strategy. But always with nervousness about being discovered by people who know me or attracting unwanted attention, which also limited me and my choices. That is what I've decided to stop caring about now, and wanted to share.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  8. Barefoot-boy

Barefoot-boy Member

I too was a bit nervous about being discovered. I would often go barefoot around my neighborhood under the cover of darkness, felt it would be less noticeable. If anyone noticed no matter what time of day, I'd make a joke of it, smile. It's comfortable, best yet, the sky didn't fall.

Remember your feet, your decision.

Xoču likes this.
  9. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I remember feeling awkward as heck the first time I walked all the way up to CVS half a mile barefoot "too far from home" after I got the idea to see if I could make my feet tough from that barefoot running article that popped up and I read one day.

I have an advantage living in a Florida beach town close to the beach but in the beginning it still felt awkward being barefoot "where I shouldn't be" according to no one except worry in my own head.

Anyway the biggest breakthrough was that idea to leave the shoes in the car in case I needed them instead of making the decision in the house before going out.

I think what happened is I conquered the physical part of feeling awkward no having shoes on by barefoot hiking around so once it felt natural and that feeling like I was missing something I 'needed' went away the mental part went away with it. Thinking more thats exactly what happened.

Anyway if I over came it anyone can.

There is nothing to worry about being 'discovered' no one needs to know you keep the desire to go barefoot a secret and then come out with "I got this secret", just say the damn shoes are uncomfortable or make up some convincing bullshit about shoes causing pain I guess.

Xoču likes this.
  10. Sparky11

Sparky11 Members

Like ShoeScam said you shouldnt come out and say "I got a secret." Just go barefoot whenever you like. if anyone asks, just say you like doing it. If they dont ask, then everyones happy :sunglasses:

Barefoot Rick, Xoču and RT19 like this.
  11. Xoču

Xoču Members

Just want to say it took me a while, but I did it! Lovely barefoot walk today, told my spouse before I left the house. She thought I wasn't serious at first, but now the secret is out.

12. Just fuckin' do it. Your wife will get used to it and you have an incredible new hobby! It feels just fucking fantastic!

Barefoot Rick likes this.
  13. Xoču

Xoču Members

I did it, I did it, I did it!

14. And keep on keeping on! Toughen those soles and your soul!!

Barefoot Rick and Xoču like this.
  15. M_Ranko

Cheers, mate! Good show.

16. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

And what was her reaction?

17. Xoču

Xoču Members

as I wrote above

18. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

I should have been more specific. Did she comment on your return or ask any questions?

19. Xoču

Xoču Members

Update 13 months later. Took my daily 2 mile walk, me barefoot and my wife in sneakers, our normal habit for the past year. Yesterday, out and about without shoes — had several errands, including the post office and some purchases at Staples, no shoes with me. Alas, work and the need to visit food shops and restaurants mean that barefootedness for me has to be an on-again off-again thing (literally). But such a good feeling compared to all those years when my barefoot wishes were a secret I was afraid to reveal to others.

20. M_Ranko

Good show, mate.