Possible draft?

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by user__friendly, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Real American

Real American Banned

Because they don't want to hear about your sexual perversion. Not to long ago, homosexuality was viewed as something bad. Those ideas about what was right and wrong were placed into the foundation of our government. The reason they emplimented the "don't ask don't tell" policy was because they don't want to know about it. It was also a way of giving those homosexuals that wanted to serve a way to serve without being kicked out.

2. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I don't recall where I heard about the discharge of the combat trooper. Probably on either Air America Radio or Pacifica Radio.
    The military policy about gays is well known, but I don't think you wanted confermation about that.
    The idea of using the policy about gays to avoid the draft is mine. I think that it is ironic. Both from the point of view that the military is excluding people and the gay rights movements responce to a draft.

3. SageDreamer

SageDreamer Senior Member

The government is making noise about no draft, but I'm afraid I see a draft as inevitable. National Guard members are seeing their service involuntarily extended, and I don't see this government getting us out of the Middle East any time soon.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see future wars in Iran and Syria. Building an empire in the Middle East won't come without more troops, and that means a draft.

There's an election coming in November, and this is the sort of issue that could cause young voters to mobilize around Kerry. As a result, the Republicans desperately don't want to admit a draft is coming.

4. Real American

Real American Banned

Putting Kerry in office won't end the war on terrorism. Are you expecting him to pull all troops out as soon as he is in office? Perhaps you think all your problems will go away if Bush doesn't stay. Seriously folks, this issue is bigger than one man. You all know the president doesn't have the power to declare war on his own right? That it takes approval from congress? Yet amazingly, I don't see or hear all of you protesting our congress members. I'm sorry, but you guys are sad.

5. smellyhairyhippie

smellyhairyhippie Member

a draft would be great then we could rebel against it!:p seriously it would show the peopl who are all like yeah nuke iraq wait its my kid lemee think about this...

6. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Man... there you go again, Real American. You always have to insult someone. Also, Kerry has said that he would remove *some* troops from Iraq as soon as possible if he is elected (But we all know that politicians lie, so..)

7. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Kerrry's election will not end the war on terrorism. This is true. Neither will it end the occupation of Iraq. Unlike Bush, Kerry realizes that the US is incapable of succesfully fighting the war on terrorism by itself. Similarly, the rebuilding of Iraq requires that it appear (no matter what the reality is) different from US colonialism. Kerry will return the US to the notion that we must be a member of the international community of nations.

Bush's attitude that the US must not compromise (I'm trying to be generous to the shrub) has led us into overextending our troops and alianating potential helpers in our efforts agaist terrorists. With alies, not only will there be more troops in the fight, but the need for military will decrease. Thus, the reason for the US to use slave armies (a.k.a the draft) will disapear.

8. HippieLngstckng

HippieLngstckng Bringer of DOOM!!!

No, putting Kerry in office won't end terrorism, nor will it necessarily stop the draft from happenning. He's another money minded politician like all the rest, who says what he thinks will get him in office. That's his problem, he's trying say what he can to please everyone, get more votes, but in the process, he looks like a wishy washy butt wipe who doesn't know what the hell he stands for.

And actually, I said in another thread (I was defending Bush, for crying out loud, even though he's not fit to tie his own shoes) "The 'Truth' About the War in Iraq" that people should distribute the blame equally among the branches of gov't, as our implemented series of checks and balances prevents the excutive branch from having supreme power over the congressional and judicial systems. DISTRIBUTE THE BLAME EQUALLY. This could never have taken place on Bush's whims alone.

And yes, RA, I am sad, the saddest person alive... and very sorry that you can't speak without insulting people on this board.

9. jimi morrison

jimi morrison Member

if this draft hapens.... ok when the draft starts it will be one of the worst in history because they will have to take men and wonem between the ages of 18-35, they will take women because un like the past drafts these days women have the same rights as men at home and on the battlefield, back in the civil war, ww1, ww2, and veitnam women werent alowed in combat, but today they are so women will be drafted to.

10. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

drafts are a scary thought...

11. gate68

gate68 Senior Member

I closed my window'no more draft,150

12. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

Hey, why are we banning people because of their opinions?

13. Loveminx

Loveminx Sports Racer

i agree with you. i dont think everyone should just say jesus said this and that and think thats a good enough arguement. we dont all believe in the same(if any) religion and so it doesnt make sense to me that ppl keep referring to it.

*im sorry if i seem like im against religion, im not. i think its great to believe in something but i just dont think we can all agree on one religion's view.

life is precious, violence is not the answer. :(

14. turtlefriend

turtlefriend Member

I don't think anyone can "say" for sure weather there's gonna be a draft or not. I do not believe it's outside the realm of possibility, but no one can say that it definately will happen.

15. kjhippielove88

kjhippielove88 color + rhyme

just stay tuned for March 31st. all will be revealed

16. dj_reegz

dj_reegz Member

Well if it happens I'll be down at the border working to get as many of you across as possible. no person should be forced to kill another.

17. HippieFlowerGirl67

HippieFlowerGirl67 Banned

I'm practically old enough to be drafted but thank God you have to finish high school before you can go. And I'm a girl so I don't think it's a girls job to do stuff like that. Not my idea of a trip man....

18. Gypzy

Gypzy Member

That is exactly the kind of shit we need to hear! Clear and simple baby, MURDER JUST ISN'T RIGHT! In any fucking context!

19. Micha

Micha Now available in Verdana!

This is so sad.
    What makes our government think that they can make people do things that they don't want to do.
    In some aspects it's okay..but dying? That's a little fucking overboard..
    :(

20. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There will not be a draft.

Congressman Charles Rangle sponsored draft legislation that was soundly defeated in The US House of representatives in 2004.

The armed forces only wants volunteers anyway.