Pope Francis knew of McCarrick’s abuses

Discussion in 'People' started by Deidre, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Agree, I think what he meant was that the priesthood would attract a different type of candidate, one that isn't trying to hide his mental illness and sexual perversions, by becoming a priest. If they could marry, and a priest still wishes to remain celibate, it would draw more attention. Not that everyone needs to get married, but it would still draw attention, and probably wouldn't be a haven for pedophiles like it has been.

2. You haven't?
    I've seen a lot of it throughout all these years here.
    Probably why I don't even bother anymore.

McFuddy likes this.
  3. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I haven't. In the religion section, I haven't noticed anything, unless it's just randomly in other threads.

4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

I don't see how lifting celibacy will have any effect on any of this.

Any job that offers easy access to children attracts pedophiles. Having married men in the mix won't change that. Might boost vocations though.

5. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

That's true. A lot of pedophiles get married to ''appear'' normal, so...

6. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

There's a culture of secrecy that pervades the Church... Things are kept hidden in the name of preventing scandal. It's clear they haven't learned from their mistakes.

soulpoker likes this.
  7. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

As a former Catholic I do not think the climate will change much until the parishioners put pressure (anger and financial) on the leaders.

Many (not all) Catholics do not want to talk about the abuses. I tried to encourage Catholics to protest the behavior of the church's leaders 15 years ago. Most of those approached did not want to even discuss the problems.

8. Matias

Matias Members

This has been my experience as well.

It's sad that Pope Francis may have known. He's the most "progressive" pope the church has had in a long time. I don't know what to think to be honest. I'm sadly left waiting for more details to trickle out of the news to form a hard opinion on things.

This too has been my experience. If you wanted to one-up the secrecy one only has to look at the LDS (Mormon) church. Now that's secretive...

gentlesenior likes this.
  9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I remember when the child sex abuse scandal hit the Boston archdiocese,

It turned out that Cardinal Bernard Law, the Archbishop emeritus of Boston had been covering up for the pedophile priests for years by transferring them from one parish to the next.

When he died in 2017 people were openly cheering and rejoicing

10. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

He isn't the only one, but was one of the bad ones. I actually think the church will start to change,seems the parishioners are finally fed up.

hotwater likes this.
  11. Matias

Matias Members

I hope so, for the betterment of the church and its followers.

12. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I’m not for the government getting involved with private organizations but I think at this point, the RCC has proven that it can’t deal with clergy committing crimes in a responsible way. I think that the government should oversee it.

13. gentlesenior

gentlesenior Members

I think they should, can't believe they haven't. In my neck of the woods the RCC is very powerful, at one point they were able to hider an investigation.

Deidre likes this.
  14. hotwater

The RCC worldwide are 1.3 billion strong

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Sexual deviance is one of the cardinal sins in human nature. The concept of sin is central to Catholicism. Everyone just pretends, oh paedophiles, they're not like us, shoot them. It is no accident that the Catholic church has become embroiled with this issue. It is one of the great muddles in human society. We are all under a spell. Break the spell. Jesus said "Whoever shall so harm these little ones..." Capitalism itself has a strong paedophilic subtext if you care to see through that transparency. It's all hypocrisy. Does anyone really care about children? Or are they just "kids", like goats.

16. hotwater

Molesting boys wasn't enough for this one priest.................

17. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It isn't the first, and doubtless won't be the last !!!

18. hotwater

Yeah, the priest had to shut the kid up or he would have told the authorities he was being molested.

19. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Whilst personally an atheist, I know of several cases of Catholic priests involved in Paedophilia and a Catholic Bishop who was removed because, although he knew about a priest in his area, he tried to cover it up and merely transferred the relevant priest elsewhere.

hotwater likes this.
  20. maineiac

maineiac Members

This sex scandal would be a case for the RICO laws because it goes beyond just a few instances of pedophile priests, there were hundreds and the higher ups were involved as well, priests were transferred and able to abuse more kids while the higher ups were covering it up which makes it an organized conspiracy. The situation in Pennsylvania is unreal, just saw this on the news that it was going on for decades.

The church has already proved that they are unable to do the right things, the victims deserve justice.