Pope Francis knew of McCarrick’s abuses

Discussion in 'People' started by Deidre, Aug 26, 2018.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Much of the abuse could be ended if priests were allowed to marry.

For you catholic faithful out there, I know it goes against strict church doctrine, but celibacy is unnatural

I’m not saying young boys and girls will no longer be preyed upon by sex starved priests, but the Priesthood would attract the entirely new type
    of individual and no longer just mostly gay men who are looking for God's forgiveness

scratcho, Deidre and tumbling.dice like this.
  2. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

^^^I quite agree. Celibacy is itself a form of deviancy in that it deviates from the norm. Incidentally priests were allowed to marry until the year 1139.

hotwater likes this.
  3. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I agree, it would cease to attract guys who want to hide that they aren’t mentally well.

There are plenty more decent priests than there are abusers for sure but I think that the RCC needs to clean house starting with all the old men at the top, because they seem to be the ones who were either abusers themselves or knew of it happening.

In the Bible it states that many plagues will come upon those who “add or subtract” from Scripture. Hmmm...think the RCC is experiencing quite a plague. There is no need to follow “canon law,” which basically is what they used to justify covering these abuses.

This stuff goes on elsewhere but the covering up to this degree doesn’t.

Either way, these men should step down because it’s the ethical thing to do. If they don’t, they don’t care about the Church. Well, they actually don’t considering they covered up sexual abuses.

They just fail to be trustworthy and credible at this point.

hotwater likes this.
  4. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

They all (the perpetrators, enablers and those that covered it all up) need to be excommunicated, prosecuted and jailed. Then when they die I hope there is a special place in hell for child abusers to suffer for the rest of eternity. There are few crimes more heinous than the abuse of children.
    The church needs to adopt a zero tolerance policy and any suspicion of abuse needs to be immediately reported to the proper civil authorities for it to be investigated.

Deidre likes this.
  5. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Agree. I think that the followers of the faith need to stop trusting Popes and the hierarchy over Jesus. That’s also the problem. Sounds like back in the day, no one questioned these people. No one questioned authority. We aren’t like that today, but that’s not to say it still couldn’t go on.

I don’t understand why the government isn’t stepping in and forcing them to be prosecuted. These were crimes and these men should face trials. Not merely become defrocked and sent away. They may be innocent but they should have to face a trial. Just like any of us would have to face it if we were charged with these same crimes.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  6. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

As for McCarrick, 6 accusers, only one of them ever went to law enforcement. The others just took a pay out

Whether its this kind of thing or the me-tooers. Thats what needs to change, they need to go to the cops, then and there. Not wait 20 years.

As for Francis, what do you think was the real reason Benedict quit?

8. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Agree but I guess they felt no one would believe them over the priests. I think from what I’ve read about Benedict is he sanctioned McCarrick but um, he should have turned him into the police. Then Francis comes in and gets rid of the sanctions and makes the guy a trusted advisor.

And Wuerhl is just disgusting.

I think they’re just evil and drunk with power. They all need to go and if this was another journalist or celeb, they’d be fired already. Kevin Spacey comes to mind. McCarrick and him are no different.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

In McCarricks case they were young priests

Happened in early 2000s, so i dont buy at all they couldnt just go to law enforcement

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm glad you posted this thread and response here Deidre.

Religion is the one paradigm where we trivialize this shit. I've said stuff along these lines in other threads and 9 times out of 10, I get someone on here in response defending such actions, it seems like a peculiar and odd blind spot for many people.

11. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Yea, I read there was a minor involved too at one point. But the point is he shouldn’t have ever been moved up the rankings.

12. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

It’s completely indefensible. These were crimes against kids but they’ll reap what they sow. The RCC isn’t gaining that many new members so Francis is trying to appeal to atheists and others by not actually follow Catholicism and just pandering to everyone in hopes it fills pews. You know, they needs tithes for all those lawsuits. Who else pays for their cover ups except the parishioners?

I don’t understand why the FBI or the attorney general doesn’t step in and conduct independent investigations. Makings of a really good series on Netflix, tho.

13. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Pope Francis is popular because he panders to everyone. He would tell you what you want to hear if it got you to enter a mass and drop a few bucks in the collection plate. Meanwhile he’s deceptive and covered up abuses and stands up to officiate mass? Lol If it wasn’t so scary and sad it’d be funny.

lion1978 likes this.
  14. lion1978

lion1978 The King

POPE is that short for Praeside pedofile organization extraordinare (in latin) (or in english) president of the pedofile organisation extraordinare

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Lol People on here are defending sex with children by priests etc. and that the church officials are hiding that? 9 times out of 10? Are you sure?
    I read a lot of these threads too on here over the years and what happens 9 times out of 10 is that its not only about the child abuse but shifts to bashing the religion in general. Then some others are reacting to that with nuance and I guess those are the defenders you talk about... :p
    But really, defending the pope hiding, denying or downplaying these accussations? I don't recall. Defending the papal position after some unnuanced antichristian pissed on it verbally. Yes, 9 out of 10 THAT happens.

EloiseAtThePlaza and McFuddy like this.
  16. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I haven't seen the Catholic bashing on here, but for me, this comes down to the leaders within the RCC doing the right thing, and stepping down. They're an embarrassment and they should be ashamed to continue on in their roles.

17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

This may sound stupid, but since the Vatican was aware of what went on in the past, everyone would know and it would be impossible to appoint a new pope from within the church.

With the crazy ideas that a priest cannot marry, I wonder whether their is a single member of the Vatican without a few skeletons hidden in the vaults.

As I said, I can be really stupid at times. :yum::yum::yum:

18. storch

storch banned

19. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I think that allowing priests to marry would attract a different candidate, not to say, that there aren't a great many awesome celibate priests out there. But, it seems to have historically been a place where mentally ill men ''hid'' their sexual problems, and thus crimes were acted out. I don't have kids yet, but if I did, I would go straight to the police if my kid came home claiming that a priest molested him/her. I'm not going to the Bishop. He isn't the law. The problem also is that more lay people need to get involved and commit to not overly trusting these people in the RCC's hierarchy.

If someone follows Christianity, trust in Jesus. He alone will bring the right answers. You don't need a church to find him. Once more people stop relying on religious institutions when it comes to their faith, this kind of thing will die out. I'm spiritual, but not religious for this very reason. I think that when religion gets into the hands of humankind, it just poisons itself.

That was interesting storch, I watched a bit of it. ''Man of the people,'' hmmm. If he were that, he'd have done the right thing and not had an abuser (McCarrick) become his trusted advisor. He made a child and seminarian abuser, his trusted advisor. He has Cardinal Wuerhl who should be in jail, as a trusted advisor. Really scary and sad. I pray for justice.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Seems to be a train of logic that still persists

But think about it, if you were forced into celibacy for a long period of time, you with all your pics of boobs and butts in various threads, exactly how would forced celibacy switch your brain from college age volleyball players to say 12 yr old girls? What are you talking about? Where does that assumption even come from? How exactly would forced celibacy train you off big jugs?

Its the other way around, Priesthood, teaching, any profession that involves kids, just more likely to attract pedos more than average. They may convince themselves their motivation for getting into that profession was innocent at first....but eventually....

Just that no one knows about them until they get caught, they were always thinking that way. lack of sex didnt switch their brain somehow