PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by HippyFreek2004, Jun 10, 2006.

1. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

I have it. I know about 40 other women that have it. So, let's discuss. Maybe we can start figuring out together what is causing SO MANY women to have it, when it wasn't even considered a true syndrome by the majority of medical professionals just ten years ago.

So...If you've got PCOS, are you overweight? Have you always had a weight struggle (since infancy) or did it occur suddenly? How much meat have you consumed in your lifetime (a guesstimate)? Do you eat organic? A history of hormonal issues in your family? Anything else?

Basically, tell your story. Maybe we can help some people browsing the forums to understand their own health a bit better and find a diagnosis for them...Or maybe we can start to pinpoint some things that might cause problems.

2. nightwriter

nightwriter Member

I had gestational diabetes during my third pregnancy. PCOS was diagnosed a few years later. Exercise and watching simple carbs seems as well as metformin seems to work for me. I was really active during my teens and early 20's...and didn't eat very often (or healthy). I think that trained my body to have to get by on few calories and then as I got older and more sedentary (as well as regular meals since I had children) it was too much of a change. Plus I drank WAY TOO MUCH soda (with sugar, not diet) as a teen and young adult. There would be days when my only caloric intake would be a few cans of coke classic and some candy. Yikes.