poll for Vegetarians

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by mlinauer, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

OK,
    this vegan versus vegetarian crap stops now!
    if you want to be a self righteous jerk, go to Veggie Boards. it's a great place for high holies.
    the poll and question is for VEGETARIANS. lacto/ovo, ovo, or lacto only.

we KNOW vegans don't consume this stuff.

2. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

vegans are vegetarians, strict vegetarians, but vegetarians none the less, so this applies to us too.
    the question, is do you drink milk? do you eat eggs? obviously strict vegetarians don't eat eggs or drink milk, so that is going to be our answer.
    the original poster is looking for the right diet, maybe strict vegetarianism is the answer, maybe not.
    if the original poster did not want vegans to answer, then why put a "none of the above" option in the poll?

3. duncan36

duncan36 Member

I enjoy cheeses and sometimes my body pushes me towards eating eggs. I also eat fish a few times a week. I guess I'm not a vegetarian but a fishetarian. Though sometimes my body tells me to lay off fish for a couple of weeks at a time.

I also very occassionally eat meat from a Chinese restaurant to build up a tolerance to it because I am sometimes put in positions where etiquette dictates I eat meat.

4. drumminmama

it's fine to answer but the jabs at those who are not vegan (and there is a difference between strict vegetarian and vegan: the lifestyle side: leather silk wool, etc.)
    will not be tolerated.

5. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

few of my kids & myself have been on veggie diets at different times and sometimes for different reasons. I never bought soy milk though until the kids were doing the veggie thing.
    It got to be a fun challenging game to see what recipes we could change and/or invent without using eggs & milk (my son was better at it).
    So for now I still use milk in cereal, like cheese & eat yogurt...which drumminmama brought to my attention a couple years ago is not really veggie at all...or at least the brands I eat are not veggie.

6. sm0key42o8

sm0key42o8 Senior Member

I dont drink milk, or buy cheese. But if it is in the food I will eat it. I use the veggie slices.

7. drumminmama

oh, squakers, I thought of that thread. Lucerne (safeway) has an Organics line and that yogurt does not use gelatin!
    usually gelatin is in fruit yogurts as a stabilizer.
    Smokey, I think a lot of veggies do what you do.
    no obvious use of the products, and every step forward is worth it.
    But I'm still not teaching fish eaters the secret handshake.
    :D

8. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

oh hell, I think of u ever time I'm eating yogurt now...LOL
    My son who turned veggie is now living an hour away from you.

9. barter mama

barter mama Member

Ever tried soy yogurt? Whole Soy makes a good one & it's vegan. Soygurt is goooooood!

10. sweetdreadlover

sweetdreadlover TattooedRainbowGurl

no milk no eggs no cheese no dairy period for me....whole wheat tofu soy based products vegetables and fruit:)

11. napolean inrags95

napolean inrags95 Member

theres an option for none of the above drumminmama, the poll certainly seems to include vegans..if someone has an elitist view of their lifestyle its unfortunate, but who are you to tell them they can't? its relevant to the topic as it is an option and the poll and therefore a surrounding explanation of a dietary choice would be relevant, and it's a free-speech forum? or am i missing something?

im vegan, but make a very few exceptions. someone baked me a cake on my birthday, not knowing that i no longer ate eggs. i ate a peice of that, becuase they took the effort to do something nice specifically for me. but no exceptions because i just feel like eating cheese or something. i like being vegan.

12. sweetdreadlover

i as well enjoy how healthy i feel being vegan
    but i must say i agree with drumminmama when i was a vegetarian and still ate dairy i hated it when vegans tried to push stuff on to me..i made the desicion to go vegan on my own and it wasnt because anyone told me i should.i am not a fan of jabs towards anybody and their belifs...happy vibes guys happy vibes..be happy that no one is eatng the flesh, keep a smile and keep goin :):)*smiles*

13. drumminmama

this is called "omnivore."

14. napolean inrags95

napolean inrags95 Member

the way i see it, etiquette never dictates that you eat meat...i understand the belief that its wrong to refuse someone's good will, but we waste so god damn much food in this world, that not eating meat someone prepared for you is irrelevant in the bigger picture. and besides, why assume someone eats meat?

15. sweetdreadlover

very real point...ettiquette is not something that makes you do something u believe is wrong...etiquette is people making sure vegtarian/vegan foods r available.

16. duncan36

duncan36 Member

Well my desire to not eat meat is not dictated by intellectualism. Its dictated by my physiology.
    If meat agreed with me and I felt I got some benefit from it I would eat it. However I dont. I see my limited participation in what is obviously a cruel industry(meat) as just a side benefit to me.

Its like if someone consumes any meat they're suddenly an evil person to be hated! Theres a lot bigger bad things in the world to get upset and righteous about.

17. Rainbow Starlite

Rainbow Starlite Member

None of the above. I can't stand the taste of milk, and the idea of eating meat makes my feel ill. I also no longer eat eggs. I had some not that long ago and I felt sick after. I was just trying to use them so as not to waste them, and they were organic, so I let it slide... ewww not again!

I am newly Vegan, and trying very hard. Sometimes I accidentally eat something with a trace animal ingredient I didn't know about, but I try!

Before that, I did not drink milk or eat eggs, and I ate virtually no meat, so it wasn't a big change for me. I really LOVE my Vegan butter, cheese, cream cheese, and mayo... which are readily available at my local health food stores. Follow Your Heart and Toffuti (spelling?) make my Vegan "dairy" products.

18. sweetdreadlover

i m the least "self righteous" person you'd ever meet...all i am saying is you have to draw a line with etiquette...for instance this may sound odd but i opted to avoid my family this christmas as they love to try and critisize my way of life...hunters and fishers and loggers and such...i am not going to put myself in such a situation...so therefore etiquette is in my own favor...and even if i did show u-p i would not eat the food..they like to toss in broth when i least expect it,.

19. Alaxsxa

Alaxsxa Member

Occasionally I eat cheese but I have been able to replace eggs and milk in cooking.

20. Zimmy

Zimmy Member

I eat/drink all three... well, occasionly, I've got no moral hangups about consuming them though,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.