poll for Vegetarians

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by mlinauer, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dharmadrums

dharmadrums Member

I'm a dietary vegan/strict/total vegetarian, whatever terminology you prefer. I don't eat any animal products. Congrats to everyone who has taken the time to be more conscious about what they eat and maybe even make some changes - I applaud you! Every little bit helps us all.

2. Sattva

Sattva Member

I've been a vegetarian all my life but my parents aren't strict. I've always eaten free range eggs and local (non supermarket) dairy products, but I'm interested in reading up on veganism and the case against dairy. When I'm out on my own I'd definitely try veganism, but whilst I'm with my parents it would be too much hassle to convince them to buy expensive soya products from the supermarket rather than equally expensive milk from a local organic shop.

3. Profeta

Profeta Member

If you're vegetarian for ethical reasons, and you're trying to understand why people don't eat or drink eggs and milk, here's a few links.

Peaceable Kingdom
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7013048855715857701

And Of Course The Most Famous One
    http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming.asp

Both...are a little bit gruesome, the first far less than the second, and you've probably seen both.

But, for the case of health reasons, when going Vegan (No Milk or Eggs), there is no cholesterol, and you'll have a hard time finding what is bad for you (like sugar).

Oh also....free-range eggs, it's just the same as normal eggs (most places), and the government doesn't even check up to see the farms that are calling themselves free range, in places it could be worse than a normal factory, saying that chickens live happy lives and get to feel the sunshine and walk around, most never see sunshine or walk in their entire lives in a so called "free-range farm".

4. magnalodium

magnalodium Member

Free range meat gets too much excersise, it ends up chewy and stringy.
    The less free the animal is to move, the better it tastes.

Organic just means no chemicals were used on there, there is absolutly no controls on organic food for natural toxins. Regular food has much more stringent control over what is allowed in it. A little fertilizer never hurt anyone.

5. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i'm the same way and ive been veggie for like 20 years or more
    i tried givin up cheese and eggs and even goin full vegan but it just wasnt right for me but gotta respect those who do
    i've contemplated the fruitarian even breatharian lifestyle when i was younger and i did live 2 months off only oranges but for me i love the food i love and as long as i never have to eat meat again im happy

6. RumpusParable

RumpusParable Member

i've been lacto-ovo veggie for a few years now. have been working towards strict veggie through many tries to finally gave up dairy. a couple of months ago is finally clicked and i've not had dairy since.

i'm giving up only one unhealthy and/or inhumane part of my diet at a time.
    i still eat eggs, so am now ovo-veggie. eggs are a very rare part of my diet already, and are not addicive in the manners of dairy or sugar, so i'm going to ease them out later.

am waiting to make sure i'm solid on the dairy this go (feels like it, but being cautious) and am currently working on refined sugar. I now only have white sugar & high fructose corn syrup items about 1-3 times a month.

7. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

I eat cheese and eggs, no milk only soy milk. I only eat eggs beacuse I am a boxer, and a new dad and dont really feel like making proper meals :( but still, :)

8. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

so it's the quick-easy protien, Relayer?

9. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

yep!

10. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Im trying to cut them all out completely. I no longer eat cheese alone, or by eggs or milk (i use soya), but still eat products with these things in

11. Atumnnn

Atumnnn Member

I unfortunately eat eggs (only from free range chickens) and eat my dairy products. However, I am only 16 and have only been a vegetarian for nearly two years, and I have a feeling that once I move out on my own then I will make the full switch. Currently I eat one vegan meal a week, avoid leather, refuse to eat products containing non-vegetable base gelatin, and am trying to cut down on my milk intake. I live, however, in a largely omnivorous family right now, so we don't have a lot of veggies, and the ones that we do I already have to practically beg for, therefore right now, it would be illogical for me to give up eggs and dairy completely.

It takes more effort, but if you are having trouble deciding, then just look into how they "take care of" the laying hens and the dairy cows, it brings me to tears every time.

Good luck, and you are still making a huge difference by choosing not to eat meat!

12. Atumnnn

Atumnnn Member

Profeta, where did you get that stat about the free-range farms? Are you gonna make me give up my eggs completely? ;(

13. drumminmama

Autumnn,
    free range is really a different cage size and amount of natural light.
    For soem people, eggs from hens not fed commercial feed which can contain cattle, and their own litter and feathers (this same mx was also fed to US cows until the Washington state BSE case), are OK.
    It depends on WHY you are veg. Not all vegetarians and even strict vegetarians (vegan is the full ethical lifestyle) are at this point for an animal rights aspect.

Since in many of the chicken houses one sees in Tyson land (Ark-Okla) have maybe three windows, small, on a hundreds of feet long stretch, any light is an improvement.
    Eggs are also healthwise far worse than a steak. their only saving grace is the speed at which the body can access the protein, but the cholestoral levels accompanying it are, in my eyes, unacceptable.
    I learned that the farm where I bought my yearly dozen eggs in Oklahoma (years ago) was actually a gamecock raiser (it was legal then)! I'd wonder if free range eggs are coming from clandestine raisers as an income stream.

14. Pax

Pax Member

I eat all of those. So does my mum who is also a vegetarian, although she doesn't eat them directly, she eats cake with egg in, chocolate, has butter or margerine, whatever! on her toast and crumpets, but we're both vegetarians, just not vegans, which I personally feel the question should be aimed at, although I thought vegans ate none of that stuff, but yeah, I eat all of those three, but I don't eat meat.

15. drumminmama

errr... the question is what vegetarians eat, since they are likely to have one or more in their diet.

16. MollyThe Hippy

MollyThe Hippy get high school

vegetarians can eat the poll but vegans can't

17. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

i live in a farming community-its hard enough to find products without meat or meat by-products in them, im not going to deny myself of milk or eggs or cheese-sorry! i dont want to starve! it could be worse, i could be eating the cow instead of its milk-:(

18. DQ Veg

DQ Veg JUSTYNA'S TIGER

:lol: :hysterica :hysterica :lol:

19. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

as of a week ago i have eliminated dairy and eggs from my diet.
    i will NOT support the animal cruelty that comes from the dairy and egg industry.

i just remember, every glass of milk comes with a slice of veal and an eventual t-bone steak, and every egg comes with an eventual chicken wing.

20. Vegan Girl

Vegan Girl Member

I used to vegetarian, but made the switch to vegan and I feel liberated by NOT including animal cruelty in my diet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.