Poll : Daylight savings time 'fall back' is stupid and should end

Discussion in 'Politics' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Oct 16, 2019.

?

Keep the clocks the summer way all year ?

1. Changing the clocks twice every year is incredibly stupid and needs to end

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. No, I like this dumbshit twice a year

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Please stop this, everyone hates it .

Its starting to get dark early so what do they do ?

They change the clocks to make it even worse.

Leave it the summer way.

2. Si69

Si69 Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

depends where u live.,...in north of scotland we have light till midnight in summer, but WITH clock changes its not light till 0900 and dark at 4pm in winter. Stopping the clock change would be light only between 10am & 3pm!

Simon

3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

They did exactly what you suggested back in the 1970's The UK changed to British Standard Time. (somewhat funny, considering that the entire world time is calibrated around a clock in Greenwich).

However it was changed back after a few years, due to the number of commuters, particularly children travelling to school, who were killed travelling in the dark in the mornings.

4. morrow

morrow Visitor

I actually remember that.. living right near the docks of liverpool, the smog from the sea engulfed the streets, then as it was so dark.. children were not allowed out, we all walked in a line from and to school.. the school sold little reflection arm bands.. wow you opened a memory bank Will, thankyou x

wilsjane likes this.
  5. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

I honestly don't give a damn either way. That said your dumbass bias is on full display @TheGreatShoeScam. Not only are you ignorant enough to belittle anyone who disagrees with your view in the poll itself, you couldn't even be bothered to include a vote for those who don't care either way. Also to state that "everyone hates it" is a bald faced lie.

wilsjane likes this.
  6. wilsjane

I am not going to say that I like changing the clocks, but as you can see from my reply, it is worth it to avoid children getting killed and injured on their way to school along dark country roads.
    I wonder whether the OP will bother to reply. LOL

Running Horse likes this.
  7. morrow

morrow Visitor

That's so not like you... even if I missed something... you ok hun? Talk to me! X

8. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Change the time school starts not everyone's darn clock.

"For the first time, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is urging education policymakers to start middle- and high-school classes later in the morning. The idea is to improve the odds of adolescents getting sufficient sleep so they can thrive both physically and academically.

The CDC’s recommendations come a year after the American Academy of Pediatrics urged schools to adjust start times so more kids would get the recommended 8.5 to 9.5 hours of nightly rest. Both the CDC and the pediatricians’ group cited significant risks that come with lack of sleep, including higher rates of obesity and depression and motor-vehicle accidents among teens as well as an overall lower quality of life."

":Moving bedtimes earlier is not going to fix the problem, particularly for adolescents. Teens stay up later not because they don’t want to go to sleep, but because they can’t. Due to the delayed release of melatonin in the adolescent brain and a lack of “sleep drive” in response to fatigue, teens do not feel sleepy until much later at night than young children or adults and have difficulty falling asleep, even when they are tired.

That’s why the American Academy of Pediatrics is focusing on school start times. “Although many changes over the course of adolescence can affect the quality and quantity of sleep, one of the most salient and, arguably, most malleable is that of school start times,” it says."

Read more Students Aren't Getting Enough Sleep—School Starts Too Early

So don't tell me its about the Children because after this came out they did nothing to correct it.

9. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Not changing the clock is not a good idea in our Northern latitudes. Darkness till 9am In December is not cool. In summer the extra hour in the evening doesn’t do much either. It also depend on what side of the time zone you live.

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats kind of idiotic. Start school later they are just going to stay up playing video games or be on their iphones later

wilsjane likes this.
  11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I love it Spring Ahead, Fall Back.

Daylight saving time ends at 2:00 AM on Sunday November 3, 2019

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

From what I've heard, most recent research shows that kids and teenagers are supposed to go to bed later and sleep later anyway. Apparently it's how their internal clocks work or something. Some schools actually are starting later now for that reason.

Also, the school excuse for the time change is pointless now. It's not like kids are actually allowed to walk to school anymore.

13. wilsjane

Absolutely. If schools started at 2'pm they would stay up ALL night.

Their are plans in London to introduce fines for parents driving children who live less than 2 miles away to school. The idea is to reduce air pollution from the vehicles and child obesity at the same time.

In Jane's part of Ireland, people are up working on the farms at sunrise. I can just imagine their reaction if their lazy kids asked for a ride to school with anything less than 2 broken legs. LOL

14. wilsjane

Take a look at my reply to VG. LOL.

15. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Your ol' lady owns a whole part of Ireland? The hell.....I need to go live there. Janesland where the Guinness never stops flowin'

16. wilsjane

The decisions are probably made here in London. During the longest days, it is light at 4'am, so changing the clocks to add an hour of daylight in the evening makes a lot or sense. Most UK cities and major towns are at a similar longitude or further east.

17. wilsjane

Owns, you made me laugh. The differences in grammar always produces plenty of fun on the internet. In London we wear a pair of pants. In Ireland, they would look at you blankly and ask why you wore 2 pants.

No Guinness in her part of the world either. Murphy's brew the stout in County Cork.
    You could get Guinness in the city, but ask for it along the west coast and you would go out of the bar with a wellington up your ass.

Finding a bar can also be a problem at times.

Ireland-Dunguaire-Castle.-County-Galway.jpg

Running Horse likes this.
  18. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I already covered that. This time I put it in red. I remember my high school starting at 7:35 it was damn torture.

The American Academy of Pediatrics urged schools to adjust start times so more kids would get the recommended 8.5 to 9.5 hours of nightly rest. Both the CDC and the pediatricians’ group cited significant risks...

Its a pretty big deal when both the American Academy of Pediatrics and the CDC say something is harming kids.

Too bad the "schools" new world order indoctrination centers don't give a crap.

19. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Lets see the poll numbers in a few days when people get home from school and work and its dark out cant do much outside. Totally sucks

[​IMG]

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I wouldn't mind ending daylight savings time but I would rather keep it on winter time rather than summer time. Because if it was summer time all year round it wouldnt get light until after 8 am during the winter. I hate the few weeks before the time change because the days are getting shorter and its soooo damn dark in the morning. It was light today before 7 am and that was awesome.

And there's no real need for it to be light outside in the summer until almost 10 pm. I'm usually in bed by 10 lol so it bugs me when the sun doesnt go down until 930