Politics are so boring…

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Wrameses, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Wrameses

Wrameses Members

Sorry I don’t want to offend anybody who is into it. But it always have been boring to me and hard to understand. Like every time I hear about I instantly want to fall asleep..

~Zen~ likes this.
  2. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

I hear and understand and see it happening all around me.

I blame TRUMP.

Before trumpism arrived there was some glimmer of hope for the future and people would unite together to accomplish goals.

Now it is all about the hate each side has for the other with no compromise ever on anything.

And the world crashes, burns and humanity suffers.

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes it can be dull. But it affects us profoundly. Gotta at least keep an eye on it, as in WTF are the President, Governor, Mayor, local senators and reps, etc. up to and is it right or wrong? Just enough to form an opinion.

erofant, WOLF ANGEL and ~Zen~ like this.
  4. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

The secret of boring politics is, "There is no spoon". There can be no politics, when a third of the country wants to do away with the supreme court altogether, half the damned country doesn't even know there are three branches to the federal government, and places like Minneapolis are threatening to "Defund" the police, for not representing their interests. When everybody is yelling, nobody is listening, and Fox News makes a killing.

Politics is all about the money, and Donald Duck doesn't so much want to rule the world, as own it.

5. It is boring to me too

6. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Since Politics governs every aspect of your lives, you should take an interest in order to change things for the better both for you and the community in which you live.

7. ~Zen~

Very true...

Many of us see the current state of politics as a stalemate between opposing forces, which refuse to compromise.

While standing firm to one's beliefs is admirable, a sense of cheerful compromise is desperately needed to unblock the inertia. Without that, it's all lies and hatred which leads to frustration at inactivity, and thus a sense of boredom with the whole scene.

8. Vladimir Illich

No Zen matey, quite the opposite. Too many politicians have been willing to compromise or even abandon their principles for short-term political power - SO WRONG !!! One should NEVER sacrifice ones principles, however tempted to do so !!!

9. ~Zen~

Sorry to disagree, I don't know of any politicians who did that, they were that way to start. Ran on those platforms of hate and division, and got elected to do more. And they are not in it for SHORT TERM power, it's the long game that counts.

Things were different in the past, but we passed a point where there were ethics and fairness in the world, that is gone.

So I guess you are right, politics are anything but BORING. Stressful, divisive, hate-filled and fueled, anything but boring.

Regarding the sacrifice of one's principles...if someone's principles are evil, I think a change is in order. Perhaps they need to be sacrificed for the common good?

erofant likes this.
  10. erofant

erofant Members

I read a VERY interesting article a few days ago titled, "We're Amusing Ourselves to Death." The crux of the article was this ...... as a society, we pay FULL, FOCUSED attention on who won Dancing with the Stars, which Hollywood star is cheating on their spouse, who won a car race or a ball game, and all the BS gossip/misinformation on social media ...... to the exclusion and dismissal of the things that really matter - like the growing likelihood that the U.S will break apart & fall. Millions of U.S. citizens STILL believe the BIG LIE .......... that T**** won the election, despite documented proof he lost ..... BIG-TIME.

There's a VERY recent set of polls taken of a cross section of U.S. voters (both Republicans and Democrats) that demonstrated the majority of U.S. citizens think democracy has failed, that we should separate into "red" states and "blue" states, and that many states should secede from the Union. The last time such opinions were evident was right before the civil war ........... which a good number in those polls said should happen again. Just grasp that - if you can !!!!! Many Americans now think the only way to solve our problems is by breaking the U.S apart and with outright civil war !!!!

I want ALL of the readers to remember one thing ............ despite having political differences, since 1865 and the Civil War, we here in the U.S have NEVER been so strained and hate-filled that we want to again split apart and shoot at each other in another civil war. When did ALL this recent doubt about everything in the U.S. begin?? It began with T**** saying he "thought" Obama wasn't a legally-born citizen. Despite Obama producing his real birth certificate, millions believed T**** and his "birtherism" LIES and BULLSHIT. That's when T**** sowed the seeds of DOUBT about everything and anything that we U.S. citizens have always had faith in. THEN ......... T**** rode that self-stoked doubt wave into the White House, where he continued to throw gas on the fires of doubt, hate, division, racism, bigotry, suspicion about ALL of our U.S. institutions - including our elections. When T**** made the comment that,".....the only way we can lose this election is if there's voter fraud and rigging the election."

That bold proclamation from a "man" (?) whose whole life has been built on lies and deception. He cheated everyone he dealt with. U.S. banks wouldn't even lend him money anymore - that's why he went begging to Deutche Bank and Credit Suisse.

Think about this, when has any former president - defeated for re-election or finished their second term - gone on a constant TIRADE about predecessors, election fraud on a MASSIVE SCALE, casting doubt on the very institutions that we've held dearly as U.S. citizens, and a country as a whole?? Name a president who tried to overturn a free and fair election ......... because he lost. George H.W. Bush was defeated by Bill Clinton - but HE never acted like a spoiled baby brat, and accused our election system - and all state election boards nationwide - of rigging the election against him. Neither did John McCain when he lost to Obama. Neither did Hillary Clinton when she lost to T****. No former president has attacked women, people of color, bona fide war heroes ( T**** avoided military service by his daddy-pressured deferral because of "bone spurs" !!! ), and insulted the very system of government laid out by our founders. Consider T****'s cozy, praise-loaded relationship with Putin ......... and how T**** has set in motion the opening of flood-gates of doubts about our free, democratic elections, our free society, democracy itself, the rule of law, etc. Could T**** be a secret "mole" for Putin??? What T**** has laid waste to here in the U.S as far as confidence in our system of government ....... is - and has been - the dream of Putin for years. The biggest embarrassment Putin ever endured was the collapse of the Soviet Union and it's autocratic dictatorship style of government - led by the U.S. and it's free, democratic, capitalistic system. What an orgasm-inducing DREAM for Putin to see doubt, misinformation, fears, and lies being sowed in the U.S. !!!!!!! The U.S. breaking apart, becoming so weak we couldn't stop an invasion if we tried. Putin could walk right in and take over. We fought OURSELVES into oblivion.

This seeding of doubts, the verbal attacks on our very systems of government, the LIES and accusations, the hatred and division ........... this ALL STARTED WITH T****. Political head-butting has never happened like this - to the point where many citizens now want a civil war ........ AGAIN ......... and to break the U.S. apart. For T****'s TREASONOUS words and actions ......... if anyone should be executed ......... it should be HIM. No other president has been so evil, divisive and treacherous to the survival of the U.S.A.

Sound far fetched????? The U.S. is ONLY 245 years old - a mere fetus on the timeline of history. Even the mighty Roman Empire - with world control, fell from ROT from within. Even one of our founders said the greatest danger to our democracy would be from an enemy within.

The ignorant, arrogant, overly self-confident refrain of sooo many here in the U.S. is ................ "Oh - that'll NEVR HAPPEN HERE." How many millions have D-I-E-D to protect the very systems of government we now so eagerly attack from WITHIN.

If this train-load of treasonous, lying bullshit isn't enough to make one take an interest in the politics of your own country ......... Then we deserve to fall apart. What's that saying ......... united we stand .......... divided WE FALL. Even Jesus said it ......." A house divided against itself CANNOT STAND." ( for the Christian folks out there. )

Tishomingo and ~Zen~ like this.
  11. ~Zen~

Very clearly true to me.

If people would just listen to truth instead of blah blah blah things could improve.

Since the 1970s I have noticed a rise in violence as media changed from the positive, to the negative aspects of life.

I watched in horror as an entire territory went from peacefulness and happy times into anarchy, drug addiction and mass corruption of a society, by simply introducing television to the locals.

12. Vladimir Illich

Its not necessarily the television station per se, but Rupert Murdoch's 'Fox News and the right wing slant placed on everything by the Fox news editors Zen matey.

Tishomingo and erofant like this.
  13. erofant

erofant Members

We had a number of time-tested, objective, truthful & trusted news sources that got us through WW I, WW II, the Korean War, the Viet Nam War, and world events for decades. But then multi-billionaire Rupert Murdoch felt the world should see things through HIS eyes - with HIS version of reality. His Fox empire - while claiming to be "fair & balanced" - was in fact just the opposite ....... slanted steeply to the right - into fringe territory. Why??? Because it served Murdoch's business purposes.

So now others have seen the path to ratings riches by fueling lies, division, hatred, mistrust, misinformation, and sowing the seeds of doubt all throughout the U.S and elsewhere. Fox, the late Hush Bimbo, Steve Jones, and ALL the other "shock-jocks" as they were originally called, got rich - and continue to get rich - by flapping their lying lips on various media.

What they may NOT realize is that they may bring about the demise of the very freedoms they enjoy now. If an autocratic government takes over - as THE REPUBLICAN PARTY now is advocating for - they will NO LONGER get paid to flap their lips. They'll be told what to say - if they aren't imprisoned. Their riches - made by fomenting "outrage" and division - may be taken from them ......... by the autocratic leader's inner circle.

14. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

You and so many others. Which is why the system is so screwed up. Why should you follow such a boring process that keeps the lights on, the roads driveable, the air somewhat breathable, the welfare checks coming in, the economy solvent, etc.? Such a YAWN. I expect you'll have a few more years before the civil war and/or Fascist dictatorship arrives. Then, I expect, you'll be singing the same song as the unvaccinated Covid casualties: "Why didn't somebody tell me?" Reminds me of the story of the Calvinist who went to Hell. He cried out "Lord, I didn't know it would be like this! A voice came back from On High: "Well, you know now!"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    erofant likes this.
  15. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You may have hit upon it there. Politics are so boring because it maintains shit we take for granted.

16. erofant

erofant Members

I'm not picking on anyone here, but ....... For all the big-mouthed YAPPERS who think politics is boring and "the government" is the evil entity we have to get rid of - whenever there's a weather disaster, an earthquake, a bridge collapse (look for more of those), polluted drinking water systems or wells, wildfires, flood, or a shortage of food - those same big mouths are the first ones bitching. "Why isn't the government helping us?? We need shelter, water, food, and medical assistance. We have no power - our refrigerators and freezers have food spoiling in them." After the recent tornadoes in the Eastern U.S. a few weeks back, a guy was complaining on a TV news broadcast that, "We need federal help here - but it'll probably be WEEKS until they get here. They're slow." After ANY floods that happen, the calls go out, "We need a federal disaster declaration here."

Well ........... it seems that the nasty old "big government" monster is only bad & evil if it's helping OTHER PEOPLE. If "we" need it .......... it's OK and "WTF is taking it so long to get here."

This is called the book definition of selfishness and HYPOCRISY. ( If I need something - it's fine & dandy. If YOU need that same thing - well that's a different story. It's a waste of tax payer money, it's more bureaucracy, red tape, and it's just more evil "big government." ) Many of those selfish, hypocritical DOLTS scream that "the government is on our backs" ......... when in fact "the government" HAS THEIR BACKS.

Politics is one thing - the struggle to see who gets the biggest slice of the economic and power pie, with the LEAST amount of regulations that make the playing field fair.

If politics isn't worth paying attention to because it's boring - consider this ........... politics affects EVERY part of EVERYONE'S life ............. and there are astute politicians who COUNT ON voter apathy / lack of voting participation to achieve THEIR OWN GOALS. They hope you don't care - or vote. And it's usually the richest Americans who count on that voter apathy & lack of voter participation to reach their greedy, money-grabbing goals.

Vladimir Illich likes this.
  17. erofant

erofant Members

Here's why politics SHOULD NOT be "boring." Since politics / politicians are about legislating laws that govern our country ........ and how those laws favor - or deter - certain people ........ read and digest this.

In the November issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine, there's a chart showing the "projected" pay increases for 2022 across all job/career sectors. The article says this is happening in a "strengthening labor market." (that means workers finally have a little bit of leverage when it comes to pay increases. This has been caused by the Covid pandemic keeping workers from risking death to go into a crowded workplace with unvaccinated & unmasked co-workers.) Anyone notice the SUDDEN offering of higher pay, sign-on bonuses, extra paid vacation time, paid family leave, higher 401-k matches?? If employers can afford to pay those extras now ( and it won't bankrupt them - or they wouldn't even bother! ) ......... it makes you wonder why they DIDN'T before the pandemic changed their one-sided, employer-dominated playing field. It's called GREED.

The pay increases range from WHOPPING 2.4% to a mind-boggling 3.6%. This range is across all job sectors including health care, financial services, and high tech semi-conductor manufacturing. Gonna order your yacht?? Maybe a 4th vacation home - this one in the Caribbean??

Contrast those miniscule pay increases to the last 10 years of executive pay increases. Executive pay has increased an average of 30% EACH YEAR for the last 10 years!!!!!!!!!!!! And executives HIDE their pay packages by publicly revealing a "base pay" of maybe $750,000 - but the REAL pay is done with company stock & stock options. The "base pay" may be $750,000 - but the real, actual compensation is usually in the multi-millions paid in stock shares or options to buy or sell stock at guaranteed prices. This is how things R-E-A-L-L-Y work in the executive pay arena.

Any wonder why John Deere workers are on strike for better pay and a bit more lunch time allotted?? More and more American workers are walking off the job, or are leaving their jobs entirely. Workers are sick and tired of putting in LONG hours for no extra pay & no bonuses for achieving goals. ( A REPUBLICAN-crafted law in the U.S. allows employers to classify workers as "exempt" from being paid overtime pay, so many employers list their employees as "exempt" or "management" to avoid paying overtime - usually 1 1/2 times regular pay rates. This was a REPUBLICAN-CRAFTED and REPUBLICAN-SPONSORED law. And this is only one example of the many anti-worker laws written by THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. What they legislate (laws) is public record / knowledge. Because sooo many people think politics is "boring" - they pay no attention to who's screwing them over as workers - until it's too late and the laws are on the books.

The REPUBLICAN PARTY friendly toward working Americans??? Kinda goes against their mealy-mouthed claims (lies.)

This is why politics SHOULD NOT be boring .......... because the "politicians" make the laws that govern everything - including how workers get paid ..... or NOT PAID ....... and which small segment of our society can get richer & richer on the backs of their workers. And who gets to HIDE their income from taxes with laws written to allow such "tax havens." ( How much of YOUR income can you HIDE from the tax man??? ) Who we vote for - and KNOWING which political party A-C-T-U-A-L-L-Y stands with workers of all varieties & their families - makes a huge difference in all of our lives.

18. Vladimir Illich

Our politicians play 'rough' over here !!! - a disgruntled constituent of a scumbag 'nasty party' MP managed to stab and kill him this afternoon.

Tory MP Sir David Amess dead after being stabbed at constituency meeting

PA Reporters
    15 October 2021, 3:08 pm

Conservative MP Sir David Amess has died after being stabbed multiple times at a meeting with constituents.

The suspect, a 25-year-old man, has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the Tory veteran was stabbed several times during a constituency surgery in Essex.

The 69-year-old victim, who has been an MP since 1983, was fatally injured at Belfairs Methodist Church in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex midday on Friday.

The father-of-five is the second sitting MP to be killed in such circumstances in five years, following the death of Labour MP Jo Cox in 2016 as she attended a constituency surgery.

Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab tweeted: “Heartbroken that we have lost Sir David Amess MP.

“A great common sense politician and a formidable campaigner with a big heart, and tremendous generosity of spirit – including towards those he disagreed with. RIP my friend.”

Health Secretary Sajid Javid described him as “a great man, a great friend, and a great MP” who was killed while fulfilling his democratic role.

Former Conservative prime minister David Cameron added: “This is the most devastating, horrific and tragic news.

“David Amess was a kind and thoroughly decent man – and he was the most committed MP you could ever hope to meet.”

Witnesses described the scene as “very distressing”.

[​IMG]
    (PA Graphics)
    A police spokesman said: “A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man was stabbed in Leigh-on-Sea.

“We were called to an address in Eastwood Road North shortly after 12.05pm today.

“We attended and found a man injured.

“He was treated by emergency services but, sadly, died at the scene.”

Police said a knife was recovered.

Detectives are not looking for any other suspects and have asked witnesses with footage such as CCTV to come forward.

[​IMG]
    Armed police officers at the scene near the Belfairs Methodist Church in Eastwood Road North (Yui Mok/PA)
    Witness Anthony Finch described seeing someone being taken out of the building and put into the back of a police car.

He told Sky News: “We arrived to do some work on the adjacent building… and at the point when I was crossing the road I saw an upset lady on the phone saying ‘you need to arrive quickly, he’s still in the building’.

“There were loads of armed police, overhead there was an air ambulance as well as a police helicopter. Obviously wondered what the hell was going on, you don’t often see armed police around the local area.

“I saw the suspect get put into a police van, get taken away and then they cordoned the whole road and pushed us all down the road.

“What we then heard was that it was David Amess.”

He told LBC: “It’s very odd and it’s very distressing, that’s for sure.”

Councillor John Lamb, who was at the scene, told the PA news agency: “He’s a family man, he’s got four daughters and a son.

“He’s always trying to help people and especially refugees he’s tried to help.

“He’s a very amicable person and he does stick by his guns, he says what he believes and he sticks by it.”

Aerial footage showed multiple police officers outside the church and an air ambulance at the scene.

A large cordon extended down Eastwood Road, with members of the public gathering behind it, and multiple side streets closed off.

Brendan Cox, widower of Labour MP Jo Cox, wrote on Twitter: “This brings everything back.

“The pain, the loss, but also how much love the public gave us following the loss of Jo.

“I hope we can do the same for David now.”

Flags have been lowered to half-mast outside Parliament following the death of the Southend West MP.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police.

19. erofant

erofant Members

^ ^ ^
    Sadly - I see more violence coming in the world of politics - worldwide. Too much misinformation, too many outright LIES, too much frustration by the public over necessary, urgent matters that should NOT take decades to resolve. Combine those facts with some politicians & political parties that want to be in total, absolute power forever - regardless of the will of the people - and you have a very volatile environment ripe for violence.

Here in the U.S. these days, we have - because of LIES and misinformation by one D. T**** and his LEMMING MINIONS - recent polling that shows a majority of Americans want a shooting civil war ............ AGAIN.

I've said to my family, friends, and neighbors that I see more killings and more hatred going forward. If I could go back 30 years and ask myself if this kind of hate-filled, LIE-INFESTED environment would happen here in the U.S. - - - I'd have answered "Hell no" !!! I'd have been wrong.

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Kamala Harris is phenomenal.

I crave progressive nuancing from Joe Biden. But somehow I learned to accept that is not in the cards...

Our hope now lies with you, AOC... :rolleyes: :D

& Now, onto the business of electing Alexandria Ocasio Cortez president! None of this House Rep. nonsense!

I don't think politics are that boring. Sensationalist though... It feels like things are blatantly gravitating toward captivating audiences and garnering media attention.

Half the time I wonder how much of the activity in our domestic political sphere is legitimately motivated and what is for show.

:cool: