Political Parties

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kayatree, May 24, 2004.

1. kayatree

kayatree Member

I'm registered as an independent... mainly because I couldn't bring myself to participate whole-heartedly in one party or the other.

It seems to me, the more I read and listen, that both parties have pretty good ideas (and pretty bad ideas). I don't understand how most people could side with one or the other. I mean, I could never do that - even if I agreed strongly with one perspective or opinion.

Is there a reason that people register with parties? Do you have to generally agree with what they say or is it just some kind of political strategy? I'm confused. Am I the only one?

with love,
    kayatree

2. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

I guess people register with a political party because they identify with a certain ideology. I'm a registered Democrat (or well, I've been voting Democrat my relatively short life) because I've always thought the Democratic candidate "sounded" better than the Republican, and I agree with the Democrats on more issues than Republicans. But recently, I've - I don't know if I'm turned off by the Democrats - deciding to stop voting Democrat blindly (I will never ever be a Republican, so don't worry), and... put more thought into I vote for.

3. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

In many states, you are required to register with a political party in order to vote in the primary.

In my case, I'm not currently a member of a political party, although at various times I have been a registered Democrat, Republican, and Libertarian, depending on my political leanings at any given time in my life.

4. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

i dunno why ppl vote for independent and green party etc, seriously every1 knows they arent going to win so why waste ur vote?

5. Maverick

Maverick Banned

I'm with Jet. But I hope Nader stays in. It just pulls votes from Kerry. Go Nader.

6. kayatree

kayatree Member

Why not vote for the independents or the green? You vote for what you believe in... you don't vote for someone else because you think it doesn't matter.

Also, some people vote for the greens or independents because it takes away votes for the democrats or republicans.

kayatree

7. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Me, i dont vote. I belive that the last presidential election was fixed, I dont belive in the electoral vote proccess, I belive it should be a vote on majority rule and i also dont trust governments much anymore on any side of the spectrum. The governments of the world have to much control over the american people and are to busy brain washing, i consider them one big cult.:cool:

8. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I am also an independent voter, except I agree very little with the Democrat or Republican parties, who are both ultimately controlled by Corporate America, hense, the power-elite who are ultimately the ones running this country.

I often vote Libertarian or Independent, though I would probably vote Democrat or Republican if I believed in the person running and what they stand for (it's unlikely, though, since I agree little with what either party stands for).

To the person who said that it's pointless to vote anything other than Democrat or Republican, that just is not true. When you vote for third party candidates, you are at least doing something to try and bring these parties to the forefront of the political system in America. As long as people have the mentality that you either vote Democrat or Republican, this country will always be ruled by the two-party duopoly we are currently seeing.

Change has to start somewhere, and people can't expect there to be an immediate change either, because that is simply unlikely to happen.

9. dotadave

dotadave Member

Could you at the very least vote minor party? The election process is seriously fucked up partially because voter turnout is so shitty.