Political beliefs?

Discussion in 'Relationships' started by Adamskiffle, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

Please stay on topic or don’t bother responding.

2. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Could you maybe link to one of these scientific studies? I'm having difficulty finding one that supports your claim. I'm finding plenty that suggest the opposite, but nothing that supports the argument that our morals are borne out of our political beliefs.

Asmodean and Meliai like this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Aren't most ideals born from social constructs as a society gets together in agreeance or disapproval?

scratcho likes this.
  4. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Basically. But for most of us that would begin with family, friends, culture, and other things we encounter way before we form our political identities. It's why I find the other poster's claim so odd. And in an attempt to validate the claim through my own research, I wasn't able to find a scientific study that said otherwise. Personally, I feel there is an inherent humanity and that our morals could form in a vacuum but since that's impossible, there's no way to know.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Eh, I just think people follow what makes sense to them. Take me for instance, I don't have children so childcare rebates are at the bottom of my list of political cares. I don't personally need that in my life so my political ideals differ from people with children and they rightly should too, though I still don't think that should have any bearing on whether or not I can maintain a lifong commitment with somebody I love that might have children of their own, or my friendship with people that do, just as I'm not going to deter a friendship or relationship over a political ideal that affects them in a way that doesn't affect me Etc. If that makes sense.

everything bagel likes this.
  6. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Totally. And that's why support Andrew Yang and the Freedom Dividend because its universal. I dont have kids either so that stuff isn't high on my list either. But what I think democrats do too often is pander to a specific group while ignoring everyone else. And if you're not in that group, then you kinda feel left out in the cold. But giving every American adult the capital to fix their own problems is something I can get behind

Beach Ball Lady Balls likes this.
  7. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Guess my response was off topic

8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Welcome to HF where they claim to celebrate diversity. Unless it's diversity of opinion. Can't have differing traits in a relationship or even a friendship.

"Think what I think, or else!"

9. Beach Ball Lady Balls

Beach Ball Lady Balls Banned

Choice of Political Party May Help Shape One's Moral Compass

Will respond more later, I have to get some stuff done :)

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And yet if we dig up relationship threads I bet we read "it's good to have a partner into different things to keep things interesting".

6-eyed shaman likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Not that I care either way, I've found my life long Partner so I know for true that this matter in question is completely irrelevant so long as you actually respect an individual for their perception and qualities so I kind of have to agree with the bigot statement because if you can't respect or refuse to respect someone for who they are, then yeah I see that in the same context as disliking somebody based on the attribute of color alone and therefore could judge them as no better than being racist unfortunately.

Plus it's pretty sad if somebody likes someone, but they're not good enough because of a political difference or understanding, that someone would willingly give that opportunity up to have a flourishing relationship because one persons mind is geared toward a particular sector of the political spectrum that A) is all talk and B) won't effect their lives anyway. Politics is always lies, deceit, manipulation and propaganda and if you think you're correct in starting a relationships off those footprints and building blocks..... good luck I suppose lol.

12. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Wow. That still doesn't make any sense to me. I totally agree with the part about people supporting politicians and political parties and rationalizing when they directly conflict with their claimed moral compass (I've seen that quite a bit from both sides) but on a personal level my political beliefs were absolutely shaped by the morals and values I was raised with and not the other way around.

I'm not arguing with the study. I'm sure Dr. Hatemi knows what he's talking about, but there has to be a flaw somewhere. I cannot agree with the conclusions. It suggests that we are all blank slates who blindly choose a political philosophy that eventually brainwashed us. I dont buy that. We're drinking the Koolaid because it's already our favorite flavor.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you've been away for a while. this is hipforums, where every thread goes off topic within the first 20 posts.

Orison likes this.
  14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You're a clown joining in another clown here. If you read the thread you will notice Beach ball is imagining intolerance. Projecting it on somebody else.

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah, the study doesnt account for children and teenagers who have a moral code despite knowing nothing about politics or apolitical adults who also have a moral code despite not caring about politics.

Correlation doesnt equal causation. Morals may change a little after being introduced to a political party but I think that's more indicative of the level of group think that occurs not only within political parties but within any sort of organized group. It doesnt mean that value systems weren't formed before learning about politics and identifying with a political party

16. Asmodean

As Irminsul mentions: the (sub)culture and society plays a bigger role in that regard than political view or affiliation. I will add: in general. But that has been the main flaw in Beach balls argument: certainly some people might be intolerant of different political mindsets and don't wanna date a person with it because of that. But its silly to act like the far majority who concludes they don't wanna date someone with differing political views are also intolerant of people with differing mindsets in other ways. That's like concluding that if someone doesn't want to date someone with aids or big ears is also intolerant of people with aids or big ears in general.. :p

17. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Are you seriously arguing that not wanting to date someone who you disagree with on fundamental issues means that you are bigoted?

So, if I don't want to be in a relationship with someone who is going to go and picket hospitals with graphic anti-abortion signs, I'm a bigot?

Meliai likes this.
  18. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

The only way that social programs really work in the long-term is if they are universal. Nobody wants to be paying into a system that they can't access when/if they need it.

Plus, it cuts a lot of bureaucratic red tape, since you don't need to examine every single person to see if they qualify for a program or not.

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

So go ahead and dump your Trump supporting girlfriend and start dating a cute lil pussy hat wearing, leftie social justice warrior then. Walk the walk, homeslice

scratcho likes this.
  20. Asmodean

That's only an option for him if she 1) doesn't make more money than him. And 2) she stays home with the kids