Polish Folk...

Discussion in 'Poland' started by A-Shwa-Child, May 31, 2006.

1. A-Shwa-Child

A-Shwa-Child Member

Hey, I'm Polish and im in the middle of getting dreadlocks...
    Well I was sappouse to go to Poland this year (I dont know if I am or not...), but my mom dosnt want me to get(pay for) a passport with my hair. Also my mother dosnt want me to go to Poland with my hair beucase my hair symbolizes dirtyness and of "low class", or something like that in polish. In other words she dosnt want to be seen with my kind of hair because she cares to much about what other think of her...

So Im wondering, Do people in Poland with dreadlocks are considered "dirty" (i wouldn't be surprised)? Are folks with dreadlocks sterotyped like here? I really dont know what kind of questions to ask. If you from Poland or in Poland please just give me the run down the the attutid towards dreadlocks...
    Ps... Any "Eastern Countries based opinion" is welcomed :)

2. Shadowplay

Shadowplay Member

To be fair, I think your mother's reaction is pretty universal. People of the older generations are going to stereotype you as a hippy no matter where in the world you are, so I say go for it. I haven't noticed any larger differences in hairstyles among youths in different European countries. There are the same subcultures everywhere.

Hope this helps somewhat.

3. Sun_Angel

Sun_Angel Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

hehe,I think like Shadowplay.It's universal reaction of your mom.Here is many,many,many,many people with dreads and it's ok! We have very big rasta culture, many reggae bands and lot of festivals.And people accept it ...

Pozdrawiam :)

4. A-Shwa-Child

A-Shwa-Child Member

Oh well, Its final about my decision and my parents decision. They say i have to cut my hair to go to poland. My position is not to cut them, becuase there getting so close. BUT my dad says he going to pay for my passport anywas :D, but not for the trip, untell i cut my hair...
    That means if i score a job, I can make my way to Gathering of the Vibes in New York :D
    Ps: What city are you from?

5. Ann-Akim

Ann-Akim Member

bratja slavjane....poland..

6. Sun_Angel

Sun_Angel Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Krosno

7. Nirali

Nirali Member

When I was thought about getting dreadlocks, reaction of my mum was: ,,don´t do it, cos you have a shitty hair...people with dreadlocks have always beautiful awesome hair"...so opposite reaction ;)

8. Mike31

Mike31 Member

From what I have read poland is a very prowhite country and the cops are strict. You walking around looking like a usa pot head and you will be in jail fast. I personally cant stand white people who dress and act ghetto. Im willing to bet its like that there also.

9. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

Generally I agree but depends where. Before the fall of communism in the Eastern Bloc, Americans were the shiz. Not so much true anymore.
    Folks in the bigger cities in the west (e.g. Wrocław) and south (e.g. Kraków) tend to be more easy going. Warsaw is a mixed bag but leans conservo. The farther east and more rural you go, the more you find members of the PiS party and addicts of Radio Maria. Notable sort-of exception is Rzeszów. Spots of ugly nationalism show up here too. You better watch your back and worship Jarosław Kaczyński and Father Rydzyk, or they might burn a cross on your lawn, so to speak.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh man, I remember this thread too. I specifically remember the mom not wanting him to have dreadlocks. As soon as I read the opening sentence I was like hey I remember this!

11. soulpoker

soulpoker Senior Member

He describes a typical Polish mother, concerned more about showing others how good of a mother she is than being a good mother.

Irminsul likes this.
  12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I get it. To be honest my mother was EXACTLY the same in that regard, albeit Deutsch. Any guy with long hair, she thinks they're druggo head banging metal heads, no hopers. She only likes clean cut people, professional looking. Anything else is trash to my mother.

Naturally, we clashed a lot. She's gotten over it as we've grown and got older. I mean going by her way of thinking 20 years ago you'd think I'd be some deadbeat scumbag crack head junkie! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: but I showed her... Her and that. .. Father of mine. :sweatsmile::sweatsmile: