Poison Ivy - Help!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by sweatininthesouth, May 22, 2004.

1. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

I finally found the reason for this horrible rash spreading and itching all over my body -- Poison Ivy. Searched out the spot I was gardening in last week and there it was, all over the place. I didn't know that's what it was!!!!

Can anyone recommend a treatment that has really worked for them in stopping the itching and spreading???? Natural or over the counter treatments?????

2. Cornball1

Cornball1 Member

I've heard that if you pack wet clay or mud on poison ivy it can help dry it out but I have never tried it. I just use soap and water to nutralize the oils then some stuff called ivevest to treat the iching. What ever you do try not to scratch it, it will spread. If it gets to bad you may have to see a doctor to get put on some medication.

3. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

thanks for the advice cornball. I finally realized after a week and a half that the sores need to be dried out. I may have some scarring after all this.

4. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Yeah, I used to run scolding hot water over it and it would dry it out twice as fast as if you were to leave it alone. Plus, soon as that hot water hits it, I get this orgasmic wave all throughout my body. Wish that feeling could last forever.

5. Cre

Cre Senior Member

This is so true! Hot water works better than anything to relieve the itching.

I am sorry you are going through this. I just went through a horrible bout of it a few weeks ago. I was planting sunflowers in our yard and took great pains to stay away from it, but apparently I looked at it wrong and it got me. :( Within two days it was spread to my face, mouth, ears, and everywhere you can imagine down south. I had to be put on prednisone (steroids) to control it. I get it really bad.

The hot water trick works better than any over the counter stuff you can buy. It releases the histamines in the rash that cause the intense itching. Plus for a quick (but not long lasting) relief, take an old sock and fill it with oatmeal and tie the end off and bathe with it.

Good Luck!

6. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

Thanks for the advice y'all. Everyday is a little bit better than the previous day, so I think it's slowly subsiding. Now my skin is just super dry and itchy from being so flakey -- this really sucks! I'll try the oatmeal-in-a-sock trick. Maybe aloe would be a good thing to apply now, as these are starting to heal.

7. FireQuint

FireQuint Member

Don't be afraid to pop the blisters either. That fluid needs to be released.

8. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

FireQuint.....totally cool link you have there.....I just sent it to some friends....beautiful!! :)

9. ganja fairy

ganja fairy Member

poison ivy sucks. i get it really bad every year, i think i only have to look at it to get a rash.

the best advice i can give is to learn to recognise it and avoid it, and wash with soap if you think youve come into contact with it. theres a brown soap you can get at health food stores that neutrolizes the nasty oil and can keep you from getting a rash, and it also helps dry it out if you already have it. regular soap does the trick too though. if you cant get to soap, theres a plant called jewel weed that often grows in the same areas as poison ivy that neutrolizes the oil as well. it has orange flowers and a watery stalk that is purplish near the roots, and if you break open the stalk and rub the juice on any place that might have touched the ivy, you wont get a rash. also dont forget to wash any clothes or anything else(i got it from my dog before) that might have touched it, cuz that oil can get around. and whatever you do, for the love of god, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR CROTCH!

to dry it out and help stop the itching tea tree oil has worked best for me. you can put it on directly or add it to a clay mask. you can add lavender oil too. this can really dry your skin out, but you probably dont care if youre itching like i do. just moisturize when the rash clears up. hope you find something that works for you.

peace

10. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

thanks Ganja, I like those natural remedies for itching. I'll write those down for future reference! We went down to the GA coast this wknd. and I swam in the ocean, itchy sores and all. The salt water was such a welcome relief and my itching has ceased! :)

11. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

There is a medicine you can get OTC called Domboro. It is a Burrough's Solution for irritated skin and it works wonders for Ivy. Use it and then put some strong hydrocortisone on it. You mix it with hot water and use it as a compress.

One of my kids got a terrible reaction when she was little (she SAT on it) and we use Domboro, Cortisone and Ibuprophen and Benadryl. She was running a fever, it was so bad.

Some people are really susseptible. We have it all over our acre, too. Bear and I are not too effected by it, but one of our kids, Moon, is. I cover it with a plastic bag, put on gloves and pull it up and throw it away. DO NOT BURN IT!! You can get the oil in your lungs and end up with pnenmonia.

There is a product called Ivy Block. You put it on before you go out, wash it off when you get it and it prevents the oil from getting to you.

I hope you are feeling better.

12. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

Thanks Maggie. I haven't heard of Domboro but I'll jot it down for future reference too. I'm afraid my little ones will get in the stuff one day, so I'm checking for it in every area of our yard. I'm glad I was the one to get it first and not them!:)

13. schatzi

schatzi Member

someone probably already mentioned this, (I didn't actually read any of the responses) but there's some pink stuff that usually works. I have no clue what it's called, sorry. Wow, I don't think that helped much!

14. hnugginbuggin

hnugginbuggin Member

FireQuint, I know exactly what you mean about the whole orgasmic rush in the shower and everything!!!!! holy shit, i have it ALL over my body plus im all preggo and due in august so i doubt i can get steriods for it. i've had it almost a week now and have gone through about 5 tubes of anti-itch cream. i have taken an oatmeal bath, taken 1 or more orgasmic hot showers a day and still it's not fading. But yeah, they say the closest way to have an orgasm is by sneezin, but try fucking boiling hot water on a poison ivy rash! LOL! it's so funny. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@