Podcasts

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Meliai, Oct 16, 2018.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Screenshot_2018-10-16-16-04-12.png
    Thrown off by that addition part of the definition of plus. Gotta read between the invisible lines I suppose.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  2. deleted

deleted Visitor

alex jones.

3. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Very interesting...
    I mean... Clearly heterodox, but interesting.

4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I am forever addicted to Stuff You Should Know. I also listen to Jordan Peterson's podcast and Joe Rogan.

S-Town is an amazing podcast if you are looking for recommendations. It is similar-ish to Serial, but I think it is much better.

Othersin my rotation: This American Life, Freakanomics.

Meliai likes this.
  5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Here's my top 5 topics of why he's a controversial figure, I'll spare as many details as possible but some of them are more or less embedded in the description, so I gave you a spoiler button

• Part of the Atheist "Four Horsemen"
    • Islamic Immigration
    • Psychedelics (notably MDMA and LSD)
    • Freewill
    • Morality

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    Meliai likes this.
  6. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Yeah...perhaps it is unfair to wish this, but I wish the Church overall could lean that way.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I just read a piece he wrote on islamic immigration, I think in a way he plays both sides of the aisle. Which is actually refreshing, I have grown tired of immoderate, immoveable black and white politics. He appeals to the right in his criticism of radical Islam and appeals to the left in his condemnation of Trump's immigration policies. And makes a perfectly reasonable argument that the west should be promoting liberalism in Islam as the best protection against radicalism. Which the west sort of has a bad track record of doing the exact opposite of that. But I digress.

8. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think Joe Rogan wins as the most popular podcaster amongst hipforumers

He's a good dude. I like that ol' Joe

Orison likes this.
  9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I get the impression, primarily from the works of Harris I read/watched prior to this decade, that his criticisms of radical Islam developed out of his position as an atheist and it is a subset of being critical of religion's tendencies towards extremism in general. As the topic of Radical Islam and immigration has come more to the forefront of media and politics in this decade, I'm not sure if Harris' views have become more politicized in the context of left/right than he intended them to be or he has taken a more political stance on them. I think Harris' biggest concern in regards to Islam is that he views the Muslim World, in general, as having to overlook many segments of the Koran in order to legitimately denounce the actions of Islamic extremists, some of which involve immigration.

Meliai likes this.
  10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

same. actually, i've never bothered to learn what exactly a podcast even is. obviously i have a decent idea by now, but not exactly.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  11. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

His podcast is much better now than it used to be, in my opinion. More polished, more professional.

12. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I used to listen to Mike and Mike, but Greeny went to another show, and I don't like listening to females talk sports. :p

14. deleted

deleted Visitor

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I lovehate him. His jokes aren't funny, and sometimes he cracks himself up to the point where it really distracts from the person he is interviewing. Or he goes off on rude tangents--like spending 15 minutes railing on fat people and how they are all lazy slobs. Unnecessary. But I like how open minded he is about many things, and how talented he is at asking people questions in a neutral way.

16. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

(Dan) Savage Lovecast.

Always Savage Lovecast.

eggsprog likes this.
  17. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

What an idiot. I listened to and enjoyed a few podcasts of his back in 2011. Then moved on and had no clue he was still doing it until the whole thing with Elon.

An entire podcast network I enjoy is Channel Zero.

18. eggsprog

eggsprog anti gang marriage HipForums Supporter

Okay, just looked through my list of podcasts on my app again.

Reply All is a good one, generally internet-related stories but not exclusively.

On Drugs by the CBC is cool - lots of history, social commentary type stuff.

Try Science VS too - she takes an objective view of controversial issues and just examines the current science/research in a really accessible way.

19. deleted

deleted Visitor

20. deleted

deleted Visitor