Pledge of Allegiance Becomes Pledge to Obama

Discussion in 'Conspiracy' started by hippiehillbilly, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Burnt

Burnt Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I think it is more voluntary nowadays, if you are uncomfortable with the Under God you do not have to partake.

2. Burnt

I think. I could be wrong

3. Fyrenza

Fyrenza Queen of the Ians

Well, good luck with finding a country that you can be proud of ~ not too many of 'em have pristine pasts...

4. Fyrenza

5. grimjivey

grimjivey Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

6. Burnt

I am proud of how far people have come in this land, overcome hate and bigotry, learned to love. We are not all excepting, but as time goes on we may learn to be. But I'm still ashamed of how we got here. A civilized race could have done this all peacefully.

7. grimjivey

I'm more proud recently.

8. White_Horse_Mescalito

White_Horse_Mescalito ""

Not sure how many of you live among the Native Americans, I do more than most. Just getting my feet wet here in the Politics Forum.. some odd birds in some of the other ones.
    I think it might me time to inject a little humor here.

-----------------------

Indian Chief, "Two Eagles," was asked by a white government official,
    "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and
    his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage
    he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued, "Considering all these events, in your opinion,
    where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then
    calmly replied.

"When white man find land,
    Indians running it.
    No taxes,
    No debt,
    plenty buffalo,
    plenty beaver,

Clean Water;
    women did all the work,
    medicine man free.
    Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing;
    all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled

"Only white man dumb enough to think he can improve system like that."
    :grouphug:

9. Burnt

10. Fyrenza

ROFLMAO !!!

11. White_Horse_Mescalito

White_Horse_Mescalito ""

Pledge of Allegiance Becomes Pledge to Obama

Interesting Interpretation. The actions of others do not dictate ours as a nation, even Obama is not running the whole show. There are checks and balance to make sure not any one person can do so. I know it's hard to believe considering the last administration.

After reading most of this thread. I see many references to our nation's past history. The slavery, civil war, Indian treaties, and the Manifest Destiny which is pretty much the cause of the effect. But you know what we can't do a damn thing about the past except hopefully learn from it.

Also we have this fearful future in front of us. The economy is sucking eggs , people are getting laid off left and right. Businesses closing down. Crime going up, real crime! not someone taking a puff of weed. That's no crime. Well sort of but that's another story isn't it. :) Yes we can take measures to hopefully make the future better. But reality is we have no friggin idea what's going to happen in the future.

All we really have is the present. We humans are mainly made out of water and we are suspended in this thing called time. Water has it's three states, solid,liquid and gas.
    The past is like ice frozen solid, it's not going to thaw out either. The future is but a fog we can barely see though, most of the time we can't see a darn thing past the front of our noses.

But the present where we should do our best to stay is liquid, flowing, refreshing, a million adjectives one can come up , certainly with a little help from the green ;-)

The point of all this rambling on is that we are not pledging to Obama , though he was elected. We are pledging to our selfs and our present space in time. We need to stay fluid and give the guy a chance. He inherited some pretty foul waters. Now if he mucks them up more , then I'll cry foul. But since we just got into the pond with him, we owe it , as a nation to be fair and reasonable.

I guess I just a old hippie who never thought I see the day that a black man is President. Because I still remember seeing the "colored" restrooms as a kid growing up. I don't only see him as a black man. I see him as a man who shows more concern for the average person than most elected officials. I do hope that he is as sincere as he seems.

my 2 cents.... if you prefer I go back to comedy, I do know a good joke about 2 Iranian brothers

12. AquaLight

AquaLight Senior Member

Thats right Fyrenza, you just sent them out to the cotton fields and made them breed like horses while being victims of a conspiracy. ;)
    And the Indians: Oh well like you basically said, tough luck for them.
    Seriously, you should ask for a refund of all that money you spent on education.

13. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

Actually the pledge has been voluntary since 1943.

http://religiousfreedom.lib.virginia.edu/court/west_v_barn.html

Every public school classroom I was in had a picture of the current president next to the flag. So I see little problem with this situation. I stopped saying the pledge at 13. There was never a problem. You just remained in your seat and stayed quiet.

14. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

Well, no, Aqua. Fyrenza is kind of correct. It is true that, while inexcusable in today's society back in the day it was commonplace. The games at the Roman Coliseum were played out by slaves. They would give a slave a sword and make him fight for his life against lions or trained warriors, just for shits and giggles. So why is America demonized for slavery? Furthermore, it is true that sometimes the American slave ships that went to Africa to get slaves bought their slaves which were of one tribe from another tribe.

None of this excuses that behavior, I'm just saying that back in the day that is what people all over the world did. As if the Italians were humanitarian while they were in Ethiopia. Or the Brits in India. Or the French in Cote D'Ivore. Or the Portuguese in Mozambique. These European powers may not have taken slaves from their colonies, but they sure killed plenty of the natives.

As for the Native Americans; I've got nuthin'. That sucked straight up. But once again, many European powers conquered foreign lands. Who was the Spanish dude that took down the Incas.. the Inca ruler tried to give the conquistador a room full of gold. The conquistador took the gold, and still killed the Inca ruler and destroyed their society. Or something like that. What about the Brits/Aussies and their treatment of the Aboriginals. I'm not forgiving anyone, I'm just saying things were different back in the day. So we can't demonize America for their treatment of other people, because everyone else was doing the same thing.

Was their a civil rights movement in the 17th century? I DON'T THINK SO!!!

15. mamaKCita

mamaKCita fucking stupid.

it's true. it's completely up to the child and pretty much always has been. though there have been teachers who inappropriately pressure the kids into doing it. when i was getting ready to go to kindergarten, though, i was really proud to learn the pledge of allegiance. my mother bought me a pencil box that had it printed inside and i worked on it every day leading up to kindergarten.

and right or wrong, it IS my country. ;) i made a promise to try to make it better. to me, patriotism means cleaning up your yard and taking care of your neighbors. it means protesting what you think is wrong, including wars and the president. yup, hippies, i think you're patriots. but i think that has absolutely nothing to do with government oversight of private sector business and nationalization. that's a bit of nonsense, i think, and proof positive that one can't really understand that mindset of another person from the comfort of their foreign nation armchair.

16. grimjivey

Excellent!!! I agree:cheers2:

17. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

Why was this thread moved?

18. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

It's a conspiracy that slaves enslaved themselves according to Fyrenza.

Also, the Boogie Obama picture by the flag is sensationalism at most. This thread belongs here.

19. drew5147

drew5147 Dingledodie

It belongs here according to you.

I believe it was dresden James who said the most willful slave are those who blissfully and unawaredly enslave themselves.

You say our economic system is not slavery, when the average citizen has thousands of dollars of debt upon his back, most of which will not be payed off in his lifetime.

If that isn't slavery, I don't know what is.

Money is debt.

Debt is slavery.

Open your eyes.

20. Aristartle

Aristartle Snow Falling on Cedars Lifetime Supporter

When did I ever say that?

I believe vehemently that our economic system is slavery.

Or was that addressed to no one in particular?

Open your eyes and open your ears please, if you were addressing me.