Please explain the harvesting and curing process

Discussion in 'Processing Marijuana' started by giutax, Aug 15, 2006.

1. mokie48116@yahoo.com

mokie48116@yahoo.com Member

Mold/fungus uses an anaerobic process to live, so the 7-day water cure will rid you of the mold, due to its dieing and being washed away. It does also remove the chemicals that are left in the plant when it is chopped. If you use organics (mostly supplied by worm castings, bat guano and fish emulsions) the usual 7-14 day flush of plants is mostly unnecessary. Unfortunately, the water cure also removes some of the terpines and other things that make it taste good. It does not affect the potency much tho.

Peace...j.b.

2. dimples74

dimples74 Member

3. Clockwork_007

Clockwork_007 Member

Hey everyone. I just want to make sure I have this process down completely and tightly....for the sake of simplicity, I'm using the "hang dry" method. Sure it's more obvious but that isn't an issue for me and I'm just too afraid of mold to use the afore described paper bag trick.

1.) cut stems from main stalk of plant
    2.) prune leaves off stem, leaving only buds.
    3.) hang buds upside down in well ventilated area, preferably with the use of a floor fan or some other ventilation device.
    4.) let buds hang until the stem is dry enough that it can be snapped in half.
    5.) Remove buds from stem, placing in a mason jar or other closed container. DO NOT PACK IN, ONLY GENTLY FILL.
    6.) Leave in container, opening once a day for 15 minutes to allow air to exchange in the jar. If desired, CAREFULLY remove buds and re-arrange before placing lid back on jar. Continue opening the jar on a daily basis. Recommended minimum cure time is 2 weeks, but longer is better.

So how did I do? hahaha. Thanks for the input guys. I'm no professional, but everybody needs a hoby, right? :)

- J.D

4. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

The stems don't have to snap in half, they only need to make a cracking noise, or 50% humidity!

5. julia123

julia123 Member