planting seeds

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by 7river, Jun 5, 2004.

1. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

question...a 14 yo girl (friend of my niece) is making communion today...having a celebration. she looks up to me as a type of father figure and i know it is customary to give a gift.
    do you think a copy of daniel quinns "story of b" would be inappropriate?

2. sylvanlightning

sylvanlightning Prismatic Essence

I'm not familiar with that story. Whats it about?

I'd go with "The Book" by Alan Watts as a gift for anyone.

3. 7river

it is a parable about a monk in a christian sect that is given the responsibility of investigating any claims of the anti-christ with intentions of destroying it. so the monk travels undercover and goes to hear the suspect "B" speak and finds himself conflicted because B's words ring true. the message B is giving is of love and unity. sustainability and respect if i remember correctly. maybe even painted a picture of the church as an obstical between man and god. i can't remember, but one can come to the conclusion that in fact the church is the anti-christ.

i did not give her this book. i was in a sarcastic and cynical mood that day.

i recommend the book. i will also look into this book from alan watts, thank you.

4. sylvanlightning

sylvanlightning Prismatic Essence

'The Book' is a seed I hope to pass onto my daughter in 5 or so years. Thank you for sharing your insights. Keep planting seeds of kindness and beauty.

5. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

_the book: on the taboo against knowing who you are_ is quite a nice little read...

~
    maybe a few other thought-provoking books:

the perennial philosophy / aldous huxley
    island / aldous huxley
    stranger in a strange land / robert a heinlein
    godbody / theodoer sturgeon
    cosmos / carl sagan
    leaves of grass / walt whitman
    the last temptation of christ / nikos kazantzakis (well, maybe when she turns 18 ;) ...)

6. 7river

excellent!

good information coming out of this thread...who'd a thought? :)

oh, and when i said i was feeling sarcastic and cynical that day, i ment the day i wrote the thread.
    thanks for the positive vibes :)