Pit Bulls Pass ATTS Temperament Test With 86.4%

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, Apr 12, 2013.

1. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

She asked me what I would do if dogs couldn't be kept as pets. It's at the start of the thread.

2. broony

broony Banned

People fear what they don't understand, and hate what they can't conquer. - Andrew Smith

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

4. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Well, I'll give you that. I've never raised a dog, I think there's way too many, of every type. I've met a massive number of shelter animals, including all that I've ever lived with (other than the ones that half lived at my house when their owners moved out, or something like that), but have not raised a pit bull. I mean, I'd be interested to.... I said, I like them. And I'll agree, there are things that come out later in animals with unknown history, like odd trained behaviours in certain situations, strange fears, or that sort of thing.
    Well in the mainstream media crowd, and among serious owners I've met/known, like the director of my local humane society, who sees most of their behaviour problems and attacks and such from them (we're not talking super abused dogs, or anything like that -- just nice dogs, who then do nasty things). There's the totally nice friendly pit who's yard I sometimes mow, who I've been cautioned not to approach without her owner present -- she once took a chunk out of the UPS man, and has attacked the (sweet and naive) dog she lives with (and I think was raised with) at least twice -- and plays with it nicely the rest of the time. I know people who have had smaller dogs killed by pits. I have known people online (not like abusive owners) who have had their pits kill smaller dogs.

I'm not saying that they're bad dogs or whatever, they're dangerous because they're powerful dogs -- this is why I mentioned chihuahuas: they are well known to be downright poorly behaved, but no matter what, they're simply not dangerous. Nothing/nobody is 100% dependable, and I understand that pits are often great dogs, bit the damage done when a powerful killing machine snaps is a lot more worrisome than when a yappy little turd snaps.

It's like having the choice between an aggressive garter snake, and a friendly black mamba.

I'm not saying there's some great pit problem/solution crisis, like some people seem to think. It's simple: common sense. We don't need laws about who can own what kind of dog or whatever, we simply need serious enforcement of existing laws about taking care of dogs, and owners of potentially dangerous dogs, no matter how sweet, need to practice vigilance and responsibility.

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

+rep....Only Just Read This Post, Gets A Big Two Thumbs Up From

GLEN, *the CCD, crazy cat dude*...:2thumbsup:

Cheers Glen.

6. broony

broony Banned

:blush5:

7. Aerianne

My husband was attacked by a friends cat and had to go to the doctor for an antibiotic shot every morning for 5 days.

Both of us have had to go the doctor and be treated with a course of antibiotics for our own cats scratching us.

It does happen but that is off topic for the thread.

Let's get back on topic about where pit bulls fall in the scoring of the temperament test.

8. broony

broony Banned

For one, to help our fellow smart pitbulls in trying educatate the dumb humans is to call them by their real breed name.

Mine is known as an American Bull Terrier. Which i think sounds way more badass than Pitbull, cause my dog aint from some damn pit in some low hole, and even if she was, she wouldn't be no more, but she is from America. The name Pitbull needs to die, and we must resurrect our dogs original breed name.

2nd. Ya know i almost feel that test score is not high enough. I believe our terriers can get into the 90% ile no problem. Reason is cause the article says the dog gotta be at least 18 months old for the test...which is really young, and the dogs at that age got lots and i mean LOTS of energy, and lack of years in obedience training...When the dog is 4 years old with lots of work...man, the dogs gonna be higher up in test score.

9. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Some humans kill people in terrible very vicious ways, perhaps we should ban humans or certain breeds of humans.

10. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Is there anywhere else in Ontario? :confused:

11. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

I think She meant the term province. Apparently there are a lot of dumb Americans who might refer to them as states

12. deviate

deviate Senior Member

[​IMG]

Like a typical pitbull, this dog loves humans even though he has every reason to hate them.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

^^^ Is that a rescue situation?

14. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Yes, one of my favorite rescue groups.

"The thick pressure sores on this dog's haunches appear to have come from many months of holing up inside his plastic barrel trying to stay warm during the bitter cold winds of Utah's winter.

Thank you Lori ( Fusaro Photography ) for recording the hard-to-look-at as well as the better moments of this week's evaluations at Idaho Humane Society. Happier images to come as we download, sort and share."

15. deviate

deviate Senior Member

This breed tears at my heartstrings in two ways. Because not only are they the most misunderstood breed of dog, but the most abused.

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

A lot of them don't have an easy time.

17. deviate

deviate Senior Member

It seems like at least once a week I want to punch someone repeatedly, then take their malnourished scared dog they are using for a status symbol. If I was rich or even financially secure I would start a pitbull rescue.

18. Aerianne

Me too.

19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

FIXED...:2thumbsup:

Cheers Glen.

20. Aerianne

Is that what you've got going on out on your big place, Glen? A place to get homeless kids off the street?