Pit Bulls Pass ATTS Temperament Test With 86.4%

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, Apr 12, 2013.

1. broony

broony Banned

Like anything on this planet. All they need is love...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIASWv9GYC8"]Pitbull Love - YouTube

2. deviate

deviate Senior Member

3. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

Pitbulls are misunderstood

barefootconservative likes this.
  4. deviate

deviate Senior Member

You're from Canada right? My mom lives in Toronto where they are banned. Crazy that an entire province would ban a dog.

5. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

No, I don't think that would do any good. The majority of bad owners aren't going to have their dog registered anyways, I think it would be a waste of time and money. The only owners that would comply are going to be the good owners. At best, it would educate the loving but naive pit owners.

I would however, support more resources going into shutting down puppy mills, and arresting those who breed and train pits for fighting (and just plain irresponsible breeders who will sell pups to anyone with the cash). I think that would be more effective. A good breeder will insure that their pups go to responsible owners, and send anyone else away. I've been involved in breeding Bullmastiffs for a few years now, and you would be surprised how many calls I've gotten from people asking how well they fight. One guy even told me he'd pay double my asking price if the dog could take down a pit. I told him to go fuck himself.....but there are too many breeders who do it just for the money and would have taken him up on that offer.

I've even cut ties with a couple of people who were selling the dogs to people who knew nothing about taking care of a large dog. They had all the love in the world for the pups, but love alone does not make a good dog owner. Ive sold pups to in inexperienced owners before, but on the condition that they let me teach them how to care for the pup. I added in the contract that I can come by at any time to check on them for the first year, and if I'm not satisfied with how they are being raised I can legally take them back and place them in a better home.

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

It's not that they can't pass a test, it's that they are not reliable about their temperament.

I don't really care if a shih tzu or a chihuahua is more aggressive than a pit bull, the difference is that when a chihuahua mauls you, you have drool on your pants, and whan a pitbull mauls you, you're in a hole in the ground.

My chihuahua does territorial things that would be entirely unacceptable of a large dog, she's very protective (in a scared way) of the house, trembles when someone she doesn't know comes up the drive, growls at my friends until she's been around them for a long time, hides behind me, growls when I touch people she doesn't know, etc. But she's just a flighty/scared little dog, she's 4lb and can't hurt anybody even if she wanted to, which she doesn't really. If I had a pitbull that did that sort of thing, and training didn't help, I'd have it put down, it would be terrifying.

I understand that there are loving dog owners who take good care of pitbulls, but part of taking good care of an untrustworthy (not, of course, unlovable) dog is.... not trusting it. What's horrifying isn't when a mistreated dog mauls somebody, it's when a well loved, trained, and cared for dog does for no reason. And pits are famous for this.

I say all this liking pitbulls. And I think passing laws about who can own various dog breeds is fucking stupid. The answer isn't outlawing or regulating breeds, it's common sense and a realistic approach to it. There can't be denial about it, if you like the breed the best way to prove it is NOT to ask for disaster to show how docile and trustworthy it is, it's to treat it realistically, because it's not a docile and trustworthy breed.

I like chihuahuas, and would suggest them to most people. Nice personalities, good companions, easy (safe, and generally managable and portable) size. But I wouldn't dream of saying that they won't be territorial, or loud, or aggressively defensive and loyal to one person -- maybe not every one will be, but even in those that are not, the chihuahua will come out (the difference is, if you're not prepared, you'll be aggravated. If you're not prepared for a pit, someone dies).

7. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

What would you do Roo, to solve the pit bull problem?

8. deviate

deviate Senior Member

Pitbulls do not bite out of nowhere like a lot of other dogs. They also don't redirect aggression. And that entire battery of testing is about measuring how even the temperament of a particular breed is. These dogs were bred to be balanced in temperament. It's always so obvious in these kinds of discussions who has no real world exposure to American pit bull terriers.

So many of you are afraid of guns, afraid of dogs. I mean seriously.. should everything that is capable of harming humans be banned?

9. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

At the very least fixing them so they don't breed anymore.
    Pretty much every post in this thread has just proved my point. People are comparing which breeds are more dangerous than another - these comments, plus all the usual harping on about who is a responsible dog owner, who hasn't trained their dog properly etc, etc. If so much fucking work has to go into training a dog so it doesn't maul people, doesn't that ring a bell that it's not a safe animal to have around babies, children, visitors and strangers???!

*Waits for more dislikes of this post*

10. deviate

deviate Senior Member

No shit, that's because they aren't tempered like Chihuahua's which are mean little shits. 99% of pits would never act like one of those dogs, and those that do are either abused to be made that way or have some kind of disease.

It is very very easy to tell when a pit is going to attack something.

11. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

So, wiccan witch (which by the way you have no business calling yourself because Wiccan Witches know that all life is sacred), you would sterilize all dogs on the planet and let the remainder die off? Just put the species into immediate extinction?

12. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I've said this before, but you have to work to get a pit TO maul people. They naturally love humans, that went into their breeding for hundreds of years. For good reason. There were always handlers in the fighting ring.. anytime a person got bit they killed that dog.

A lot of them will naturally go after small animals and other dogs, that is what you have to try to train out. This place is so full of ignorance sometimes it's mind blowing.

13. broony

broony Banned

This thread is crazy.

First person to put up argument towards pits loves cats.
    2nd owns a chihuahua
    Then their is a real witch in here...

14. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I'm not saying they act like chihuahuas, I'm using an example of another dog on that list, and why the problem is not comparable. As I said, my dog would probably fail that test, but it simply does not matter, because she does not have the ability to hurt anybody, even an infant.

Again, it's not when an abused pit attacks someone, it's when their unpredictability comes out. They're very well known for it. Maybe they have been bread to not attack humans, but aggression is sometimes aggression. I would assume that the unpredictable attacks often, like with a wolfdog or something, involve an involuntary movement or other behaviour from the human, that identifies them as pray and activates that instinct.

And ehh, sorry you pit apologists don't like chihuahuas or their owners, but.... who would see THAT one coming :rolleyes:

15. broony

broony Banned

This is a load of shit, and when people say this, it always comes from those who have never raised a pitbull. If you raise it from puppy and love it and dont beat it with disipline. They are not unpredictable.

If you get something from the pound with unknown history that is different as with ANY dog.

16. deviate

deviate Senior Member

There is a HUGE difference between animal aggression and human aggression. Any experienced dog handler knows this.

And pits are known for being unpredictable along which lines? In the mainstream media crowd?

17. deviate

deviate Senior Member

:smilielol5:

18. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

LOL!!!

You know a thread is near the end of intelligent discusision when it turns to name calling that is totally off topic!!!

I do certainly believe that if you adopt animals they should be desexed, to stop thousands of animals being born that can't be cared for properly. That is actually how you try to stop feral cats and dogs, along with other animals from roaming around hungry, ill, savage and dangerous.

YOU asked ME what I would do to all the dogs if people could no longer have them as pets. Short of mass killings, which although I don't like dogs, I certainly don't want a dog bloodbath, fixing them so they don't breed and roam around as feral dogs (see above paragraph) would be the most humane option.

So, you asked a hypothetical question and didn't get a hypothetical answer that you liked??? How about finding something a little more important to worry about. :rolleyes:

19. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The point that may be overlooked here is that the higher a breed scores on the temperament test = the more predictable good temperament is.

Questions about a breed being "unpredictable" have been answered by the ATTS findings.

20. deviate

deviate Senior Member

That is some of the most fascist mentality bullshit I have ever heard. I'm with you on spaying and neutering to keep homeless animal populations down, but what the fuck are you talking about if people could no longer have them as pets?