pink floyd's the wall

Discussion in 'Cult Movies' started by moonbeam, Jun 5, 2004.

1. avacado_salesman

avacado_salesman Bath Water

I always hated watching the wall on acid. It was just so depressing when I was tripping.

2. HippieLngstckng

HippieLngstckng Bringer of DOOM!!!

YOU DID??? That was my very best favorite thing to do!
    Yeah, it was always deep and intense, but very intellectual (or so I thought at the time, but I was f**ked up, so you never know). Enlightening is the word I'm looking for. I used to love it. Damn, it's been too long. :(

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

I saw it in college. (our Catholic University thought it would be a good film to "entertain the kids." LOL) The, er, stuff I smoked wore off by the time the film started. I kinda fell asleep and woke up depressed.

One of my room mates used to try to freak me out by placing things in our dorm room in crosses, like when the guy freaks out. Didn't work for me.

4. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I don't like the wall, some of the music is ok, but I find it depressing as well, and stale.

I guess I like the animated parts the best, but I think it's not a good thing for me to watch on drugs or otherwise.

5. rg paddler

rg paddler Senior Member

The Wall absolutely grabbed me when I was 15 - I was doing an art project at school about the 2nd World War and unfortunately I ended up staying at home,drinking whiskey and watching that film all the time.I even found a derelict railway tunnel near where I lived to hang around in.Great days but I think I was a bit too impressionable at the time to be watching that kind of stuff.Can play all the songs on the piano though,and people seem to freak out when they find out its BoB Geldof of the Boomtown rats! People have heard of Band Aid - but don't necessarily know the connection.

6. Billie

Billie Member

I watched it for the first time just yesterday. I dont fully understand it.. still.. wow is all i can say .. wow...

7. RELAYER

RELAYER mādhyamaka

My favorite part is "Dont Leave Me Now". that song is the shit. I've seen it waaaaaaaay too many times though, so the childhood parts of the movie bore me to death, well besides Goodbye Blue Sky part.

8. Sophie-Jo

Sophie-Jo Member

I love it, my friends at home are obsessed with it and they got me into it! I think the Goodbye Blue Sky animations have to be the best, but there's something about Comfortably Numb that gets me everytime (mind u, try being in a field of thousands of people all singing that they're comfortably numb like at Live 8, that was quite surreal!).

As for the Bob Geldof thing, my boyfriend only saw the Live Aid show for the first time last year and when he did he was genuinely terrified that Bob Geldof was there!

9. Turn

Turn Member

Huh whats the connection? What does Bob Geldof have to do with the Wall?

And I love Goodbye Blue Sky, when that dove explodes out of nowhere, perfectly in time with the music, amazing.

10. Imagine17

Imagine17 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Bob Geldof plays Pink....

11. MeMilesAway

MeMilesAway Member

yeah all that above. my favorite part while tripping was always Nobody Home its so emotive and self-relective. I dunno it always got me all super outta body and all metaphysical.

from a lil black book to:
    I've got wild staring eyes
    and i got a strong urge to fly
    but i got nowhere to fly to.. fly to.. fly to... fly to... fly to... fly to...

Geldof was oustanding as Pink, too.

12. buttrfly)i(

buttrfly)i( Member

i cant wait to see that, its on the list of things to do.

13. pheonix

pheonix Member

i watched the wall with my dad when i was about 3 years old. for some reason the only part that freaked me out was the walking hammers. i think it was cause i couldnt figure out why they were walking.

14. Imagine17

:confused: It is actually quite easy to understand....

15. MeMilesAway

MeMilesAway Member

i dont remember 3 yrs old so that makes you pretty special. have you watched it again? if not you should.

I think the above poster makes a compelling case to stay away from drugs. Theres little coherence in the entire post. I specifically love the first and last statements. Outstanding really.

16. MeMilesAway

MeMilesAway Member

hellopeople i am sorry. but if you do drugs, think about not doing them. that's all i ask.

17. Imagine17

It has a pretty obvious meaning man. It is Pink's alienation from society from the pressures of stardom, and from his fathers death, rough childhood (school and overprotective mother), ect. Each of these elements that help bring Pink to his unstable mental health are known as "Bricks in the Wall." The wall itself is a figurative metaphor for the mental block between him and society. There is much more to it and more detail but it is also common for people to either misinterpret it or look to deep into the movie. Some people look too far into it and pull out absurd theories. The Wall is a bunch of ideas and emotions of Roger Waters thrown into one big melting pot. His view on war, stardom, insanity, Syd Barrett, his life, his father dying. My suggestion is watch the movie and appreciate it for its art and music, and also keep an open mind.

18. Zoomie

Zoomie My mom is dead, ok?

I saw it in a hippy theater near Goodman Street in Rochester NY in December 1982. I hadn't had any sleep in about 30 hours and it was better than any halucinogenic I've ever tried.

19. Imagine17

That isn't what I understand it to be its what it is