Pink floyd

Discussion in 'Progressive Rock' started by tie_dye_kid_454, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I tried taking the s out, and that failed. I need to try the share thing after I get back into u-tube as a registered user......They were hard to get an account with in the first place, so I keep putting this chore off.

2. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

What does a YouTube account give you anyway? The option to post comments and upload your own videos I guess? I've never really been into YouTube.

3. Moonglow181

get the share link, I assume

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

You don't need to be a member on youtube for the share link..You just click it, it sits between About and add too and then another box pops up with a whole bunch of sites you can share it to kind of like the bottom of this site but all you need to do is click the url box that pops up then copy and paste it to here. If that's not working, could be something with your browser...

But Anyways Back to the Floyd...

http://youtu.be/tRTyt0okJak

5. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

6. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Nope. The share link is public. Under the video you find these tabs: About - Share - Add To - Stats - Report. Select the Share tab, then copy the link that has already been highlighted and paste it into your post. This has actually been working the same way in the old forum.

7. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

not for me it dont

8. Moonglow181

Well, Mally...It must be our servers then...I will just have to post links...I tried every thing I was told to try to fix the problem......and nothing worked for me, either.......

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJh9OLlXenM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

11. mick the whip

mick the whip Members

much better without syd

12. mick the whip

mick the whip Members

much better without syd

13. Syd Fan

Syd Fan Supporter HipForums Supporter

Pink Floyd would have had less stardom if Syd stayed on, even if he kept his sanity. It wouldn't have evolved out of art rock into more mainstream prog. That said, he did "stay in the band" even when he left. Having studied Floyd, it was interesting to learn that Gilmour entered the band as a Hendrix fan and style player. They quickly told him that he had to "sound more like Syd" does in his playing.

So that famous arpeggio style and echoes David was known for (they even named a song Echoes) is David sounding like Syd. He adopted the style well. Also the "big rock riffs" that he was known for. Listen to "Lucifer Sam" from their first album, Syd did that first. Then listen to "Let There Be More Light" from the second album and other later guitar riffs. David learned that from Syd's influence well.

David is brilliant, he's no imitator. I mean he allowed that influence, and built on it. Here's my take on what I'd prefer. The five member band they were for about 3 months, when Syd's childhood friend, David, joined. Syd getting back some of his sanity, and sharing music writing with David, and lyric writing with Roger. Imagine having more albums like Piper, while still having Dark Side, and The Wall.

14. Harpo

Harpo Member

When they were kids, David taught Syd to play guitar, so rather than David sounding like Syd, it was Syd sounding like David. Only later did their individual styles vary as they did.
    As for keeping Syd in the band and still having Dark Side & The Wall, that couldn't happen because those albums are about madness and loss. Also, if they'd kept their pop songwriter, they would not have gone exploring the world of lengthy cosmic instrumentals which led them to Echoes and Shine On You Crazy Diamond (which, again, was about the loss of Syd)

Shine On
    You Crazy
    Diamond.

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude HipForums Supporter

Yes I have THE FIRST RECORD and I love it!!!!!!! (Syd is excellent)

16. Comfortablynumb11

Comfortablynumb11 Member

Well if it wasn't for Syd Barret there would be no Pink Floyd or Dark Side of The Moon...however realistically I do not think they could have kept him in the band. From what I understand he became pretty dysfunctional...not even playing at shows, showing up all out of it deteriorating mental state. I mean it is quite sad, had Syd remained more functional and able to continue then they probably could have done even more great things with him in the band, but don't think he was there mentally in the end to do it.

Anyways I love all of Pink Floyd...really love all the early stuff, then with Roger Waters as the singer...The Wall is one of my favorite albums of all, Dark Side of The Moon is good but its probably one of my least favorite of their albums I guess, its just the one I find least intriguing but still a good album I have a vinyl copy of that, The Wall and Meddle and then most of their other stuff on CD.

17. Dude111

I have "PINK FLOYD THE WALL" on VHS and they have a guy in that,thats SUPPOSED TO BE Syd...... ANYONE KNOW IF THATS REALLY HIM??

18. Syd Fan

Syd Fan Supporter HipForums Supporter

Clever that S.Y.D. anagram. Syd and Dave were peers. David said so. David already knew how to play arpeggios and use delays of course, I just mean they asked him to embrace Syd's style.

Much as he could throw down bluesy Hendrix, he likely wouldn't have so profoundly innovated in arpeggiated delayed guitar (example - "Blue Light") if not for their asking him to do it, early on.

I agree with everything else. Syd's madness, loss and legacy wasn't just influential, its pushing him from the band allowed them to become more successful in what it'd ultimately worked out to.

David Gilmour Quote: (On studying with Syd at Cambridge Tech) We would hang around in the art department, playing guitars every lunchtime. Teaching each other basically.

19. Dude111

I absolutely LOVE THE FIRST RECORD!!!!! (Piper at the gates of dawn)

SYD IS AMAZING!!!

20. Harpo

Harpo Member

The Pink Floyd played their first gig fifty years ago this month, in February 1965