Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nistix, May 8, 2004.

1. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Uh... I didn't post that... wait... there's another Lucifer Sam?:H:&

On Syd Barrett, I think by most accounts, he was too erratic to play in Pink Floyd when he was forced out, he just couldn't work with others anymore. He's one of the great tragedies of that time.

Nicholas Schaffner's book on the Floyd is good, but I'm waiting on Nick Mason's upcoming book for the "official" account. Schaffner's book is heavily biased towards Gilmour, in the Great Waters-vs.-Gilmour Debate amongst Floydians.

2. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

nick mason's book was supposed to be out years ago, is it ever going to even happen?

3. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

It's actually very close to coming out, it was supposed to come out years ago, but Gilmour nixed that because he had some undisclosed problems with Mason's account, whatever those may be.

Here's some info on this site's front page:

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/

4. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Hmm... well, if you look at Syd's condition at the time, I don't think he could have even fought the band. Actually, I do believe that even after Gilmour was recording with and playing with Pink Floyd that Barrett still thought he was in the band. I mean, even in 1975, during the Wish You Were Here recordings, Syd stumbled into the studio and asked the band when he should go and get his guitar so that they could start recording. That's why he kept hanging around the studio when he wasn't even in the band anymore. He really had no idea what was going on... I mean, he DID feed his two cats (affectionately named "Pink" and "Floyd") doses of LSD. That's pretty wild.

I just think that the band (and his other friends as well) should have tried to help Syd. They knew of his previous mental unstabilities (with the death of his father at age 12 and all) and they should have gotten him... forced him into getting some help.

Also, I know about their idea for a "Brian Wilson" / Beach Boys situation, but they didn't actually inform Syd of this... they snuck around and tried it on their own, which just wasn't right. At that time, Syd basically had a child's innocent mind... he was totally out of himself. I agree that Gilmour replacing Syd in live shows makes sense as Syd was just not capable at the time, but they shouldn't have given up and left Syd behind... they should have done more, even if it was just to get Syd healthy and not back in the band.

On a similar note, I read a story that during the early Madcap Laughs sessions that one time, Syd stopped right in the middle of a recording and said "I have to go to the bathroom." So the producers, a little confused, told him to just go to the bathroom. He wouldn't and/or couldn't go alone. One of the producers had to actually walk Syd down the hall, into the bathroom, prop him up against a urinal, take out his penis, and hold it while Syd urinated.

Basically, like many I guess, I feel sorry for Syd and wonder what he could have accomplished. I love all of his work, even when his voice "cracks" and he's turning pages

Oh, and LuciferSam, sorry man!:( I really had no idea that you had that name until I had already made this account and then saw one of your posts... I still may re-create this account. I don't want to ruin your cool name :D! Hehe, I saw that you posted somewhere and I thought it was me, but I was like "Wait... I never posted in that thread!"

5. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Hey, it's cool, I'll leave up to you whether you want to change it or not, this sorta thing just happens.

I'm a big Syd fan too, although I love the later Floyd just as much. Thinking of what the Sixties were like, I think people just didn't notice Syd's burgeoning psychosis until it was pretty much too late, you know, not too easy to tell when someone's starting to go nuts as opposed to when someone's just on an acid trip. By 1975 and that famous incident in the WYWH recordings, he definitely was gone.

6. Lucifer Sam

Hey, thanks! I may still change it though... I'm sure there are a bunch of other names I could think of :H.

I also like the later Pink Floyd as well. I have Relics, Ummagumma, Dark Side of the Moon, and Wish You Were Here all on vinyl. I like the later Pink Floyd, it's just that it's SO different from their early days... sounds like a totally different band to me. So basically, I kind of consider the post-Syd Floyd to really be a different band alltogether (although still a very good band.)

Yes, that's a good point. However, it was very obvious that Syd was using way too much LSD. I think there were a bunch of signs early on that showed that he really did need some re-hab or something.

Yes, definitely. I read that none of the band members had any idea who he was and that they were asking eachother who he was until Rick (I THINK it was Rick) realized that it was Syd. Supposedly, he kept getting up and brushing his teeth and then sitting back down. Yeah, he was REALLY far gone by that point.

On a similar note, I just brought a new Syd Barrett CD home a few minutes ago: The Radio One Sessions. I'm excited to check it out and hear what are said to be his last "listenable" recordings. Perhaps I'll post back with my impressions.

7. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

Yeah, I'd like to hear "Vegetable Man" sometime, it was reputedly too freakishly grim to release on an album. The seventies were probably his worst decade, mental health-wise. By the time of the 1975 sessions, Syd had completely transformed, having shaved his head, and put on a lot of girth.

My only Barrett album is the "Wouldn't You Miss Me?" compiliation, it was the only Syd album I could find in my town.

8. Lucifer Sam

Yeah, I'd like to hear that too. There are still a number of things I need to seek out of Syd's. I may order a couple of things from the internet if I have to.

Actually, I don't have that one... yet :sunglasse. Fortuantely, I haven't had too much trouble finding Syd's albums near me. I found The Madcap Laughs right at the local mall, Barrett at a semi-local music store, Opel at the local bookstore, and The Radio One Sessions at the same bookstore. Now, all I really need is Wouldn't You Miss Me? and one or two 'bootlegs.'

A short review of The Radio One Sessions:
    The album contains eight tracks. The first five are nice quality and are actually the tracks that make up the more commonly known Peel Sessions. These five tracks were recorded in 1970 for the "Sounds Of The Seventies." (Whatever that is) The following three tracks are, well, terrible quality. They are off-air recordings that sound like they were taken with a crappy, hand-held voice recorder. They are really the saddest of Syd's recordings... he was losing it.

Tracks:

1. Terrapin
    2. Gigolo Aunt
    3. Baby Lemonade
    4. Effervescing Elephant
    5. Two of a Kind
    6. Baby Lemonade
    7. Dominoes
    8. Love Song

9. Young One

Young One Member

I hereby dedicate my first post to a great rock band, Pink Floyd! My dad is a big fan so that is how I got into them...Dark Side Of The Moon rocks and is one of my favorite rock records! :)

10. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

You needn't really get Wouldn't You Miss Me? if you have the other Syd albums, unless you really, really want to hear the only two "new" tracks on it. It's basically a lot of Syd songs picked out from the old Syd albums, and to lure in completists they took a couple unreleased Syd tracks from the old vaults (and they'll probably continue to milk Syd fans like us by slowly trickling out the unreleased material), "Bob Dylan Blues" and one other one I'm not remembering at the moment.

11. Skelter

Skelter Helter

'Two of a Kind' ?

12. Lucifer Sam

Yep, I want it for "Bob Dylan Blues."

Well, are there at least some cool photos of Syd or some kind of interesting biography or something included? I'd kinda hate to spend $15 - $20 for basically one song and not even get some cool liner notes or something. Alas, it IS Syd we're talking about here, so I guess you have to pay the price :D!

13. DazedDreamer

DazedDreamer Member

PINK FLOYD ROCKS MY WORLD!

14. God

God Member

Syd Barrett is GOD! And, when are they gonna make a movie or documentary about him????

15. Lucifer Sam

He is?! But, I thought YOU were God... :)

I think there are already biographies about Syd out there. Check on e-Bay, perhaps. Also, one time, late at night, I saw on VH1 (yeah, what are the odds?) a biography on Pink Floyd that mostly covered Syd and the early Floyd. That was the first time that I ever heard of Syd or saw a picture of him. The stories they told about him seemed so amazing and, well, weird. Heh, seems funny to think back to that now that I know so much more about Syd Barrett.

16. Skelter

Skelter Helter

You can download that VH1 documentary from www.sydbarrett.it

17. Lucifer Sam

Hey, thanks Skelter! I can't do it yet (I have dial-up), but my DSL should be installed in about a week. Great, I'm excited to check it out again!

18. infinite

infinite Member

The Wall, my favorite album ever. I recently bought The Wall Live 1980-81, it's freakin amazing.

19. Skelter

Skelter Helter

so, do you have DSL now?

20. Lucifer Sam

Heh, yeah, I've had it for a while now. I guess I got it around the beginning of July. Anyway, I did download both biographies from sydbarrett.it. They're quite interesting, but I was upset that both used the same interviews. Definitely worth a download though.