Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nistix, May 8, 2004.

1. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

2. moonbeam

moonbeam Member

Hehe...actually you both are wrong now! It's called "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2". Just to be exact! But i dont think it matters too much ya know! :)

3. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

Touche. That's true. I was wrong.

4. REGGAE GIRL

REGGAE GIRL Member

i think they're ok .. well... i like them :p i have thair cd *best of pink floyd* - there are 2 cd-s ... :cool:

5. Ocean Byrd

Ocean Byrd Artificial Energy

Echoes fails to capture the true essence of Pink Floyd, IMO. If you want some of the stuff that made Pink Floyd great, get: Meddle, Obscured By Clouds and The Division Bell.

All three are grossely underrated.

6. Skelter

Skelter Helter

the division bell is what made pink floyd bad. i don't like gilmour's pink floyd.

But anyway, just check out all their albums, and decide for yourself what you like.

7. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

No, the Division Bell was a wonderful album, with hit songs as "Creep" and "Lady Marmelade". Those songs made Pink Floyd. Gilmor's voice projected especially well, and Waters kicked ass on the harp and the drums.

My favorite album would be "Dark Side of the Moon", you gotta love "The Final Countdown" and "Hotel California"... it's wonderful how all songs follow a patern, like the way "Killer Queen" followes "November Rain"... they have great lyrics... I think that Elton John wrote alot for them... or maybe it was Prince, i'm not sure...

Anyhow, they're uniting again to release a new album in 2005, called "Dark Side of Sir Elton John's Bum"... it sounds promising.

8. Celebrationoftheliza

Celebrationoftheliza Member

i like pink floyd's earlier stuff best piper at the gates of dawn is my favorite album after syd barrett left it just went down hill from there

9. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

in the film, the song "What Shall we Do Now" appears right after "Empty Spaces", during Stormy's animation sequences

10. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

actually, I think it really helped out the band after syd left. If he stayed, the band would have gone to major shit. He couldnt even play, because he was so fuckin stoned out of his gourd.

11. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

no no, I thought Zeppelin were the ones that did those timeless classics such as "Feel Like Making Love" and "Running with the Pack"????

12. MichaelByrd1967

MichaelByrd1967 Garcia Wannabe

BraveSirRubin, YOU ARE A FUCKING MAD MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. sprout

sprout DeadHead

Please don't EVER mention Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin in the same tread again please?

14. iggy_and_me

iggy_and_me Member

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

15. LuciferSam

LuciferSam Member

I'm a serious Floydhead, they're my favorite band of all time, and I own all of their work except for Relics and Ummagumma (well, and MLOR, though I don't really regard that as a true Pink Floyd album. I like to think of the much-improved Division Bell as Gilmour's atonement for MLOR).

16. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Why? Zepplin also had some great hits...thier guitarist Justine Timberfuck had some great tunes... he played it like a motherfuckin roit... I loved their song "40 oz to freedom" (the opera version).

17. Lucifer Sam

Lucifer Sam Vegetable Man

Ugh... ok, first of all, Syd did not "leave" Pink Floyd; he was forced out. During the A Saucerful of Secrets sessions, Syd would sit outside of the studio hoping to be called in for help... he was desperate to remain in the band. Also, David Gilmour used to lie to Syd's face and give him a line of shit that he was going to buy cigarettes when he would actually go play with the band. It really wasn't Syd's choice... he was slowly and quietly pushed out.

Really, Pink Floyd should (and do) feel quite guilty about Syd's mental crash. (See Wish You Were Here. Roger wasn't really thanking the band's creator but rather using the album as an expression of guilt that he felt. Word has it that much of Dark Side of the Moon, is also based on Syd Barrett.) As "true" friends, the band should have stepped in and tried to help Syd instead of ignoring the fact that he was causing his own downfall. That is why the band (especially Roger Waters) have felt guilty all these years.

Ok, Syd was definitely not too stoned to play music... or write songs for that matter. I have all of his solo work that has been released and he could definitely still play after the Floyd, there is no doubting that. I wouldn't say that much of his solo work is as good as PATGOD, but seriously, how much can one man with an acoustic guitar really do? Some of his solo work contains the most beautiful and enchanting songs I have ever heard. No one can deny that he was a great pop song writer.

Also, you can't really say that Syd's replacement helped Pink Floyd when you have no idea what they could have created had he been kept around. No one knows that. Personally, if Syd had gotten some help and gotten back on his feet and stayed with the Floyd, they could have easily, in my opinion, been the world's greatest music collaboration. That may be pushing it, but PATGOD is just that good.

Too bad the band didn't really try to help Syd out... they weren't just his bandmates, they were his long-time friends for crying out loud. They should have done something...

18. sprout

sprout DeadHead

I have a deep appreciation for Pink Floyd. Pink Floyd opened the door to better and brighter things for me when I was younger, about 14. Its a really long story but basically discovering Pink Floyd put me on the road to becoming the person I am today. You could almost say they saved my life.

19. BuddahsBelly

BuddahsBelly Member

i do agree

20. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

ok, to clarify what I was saying..... Syd did leave. Yes, he was kinda pushed away by the rest of them, but he didnt mind. If he did mind, I think he would have taken control of the band and its name, wouldnt you think? after all, it was his creation for the most part. Actually, they had an idea for Syd. He was a great songwriter, and they needed help in that department. They wanted to use him as a "Brian Wilson" of the group. THat means, they wanted to use him in the studio as a chief songwriter and lyricist, while they went out on tour with Dave Gilmour playing his bits. Syd didnt go for it. He pretty much went with Joe Boyd and Peter Jenner who thought Syd was the brains behind the group. They pretty much told Syd that he would do fine without the rest of the band (you know how managers and producers get).

I do know the whole story of them going to gigs without letting him know, but if he was in his right mind, he would have stopped it. Syd went on to do some solo efforts, which was a painstaking process for those involved. The early madcap laughs sessions were insane. Syd was so unpredictable in the studio... he couldnt play the same song on each take, he would off and do something completely different. If yo listen to that album, you can hear syd fumbling through some pages of lyrics and forgetting what to sing, and whatnot (thats just a sample of all the crazy outtakes from those sessions). Im not denying that syd wrote some beautiful tunes on those 2 solo efforts, but that is just a handful of the outtakes they had to sift through. I hope you have read A Saucerful of Secrets by Nicholas Schaffner?? that give alot of insight to the whole pink floyd history. I know Joe Boyd and Peter Jenner had problems trying to keep him under control and to get the best out of him, so they pretty much scrapped their project. Roger and Dave ended up taking over the sessions.

Syd was pretty much a nutcase by the time Gilmour started to show up for gigs. Im sure you have heard of the brylcreem incident?????? Syd crushed up ludes and mixed it with brylcreem in order to get a jimi hendrix perm, the lights of the stage ended up melting his hair, and the band knew at that time Syd pretty much lost all sanity. He was unpredictable all the time. He would play other songs while the band was supposed to be playing something else entirely. They recruited Gilmour to do his singing and guitar playing. if syd ended up staying with the band, the band would have gone to shit, and that is true. They couldnt handle another recording session with him, they would have gotten way too frustrated and broken up long before a new album came out. Why do you think Syd only did 2 solo albums? he is pretty messed up.

Like I said, Syd didnt really care that he was being ousted from the band. If he really did care, he would have been kicking and screaming, and the band wouldnt be the pink floyd as we know it. They would have probably gone with an alternate name. Still, I think the band ended up benefiting because I do believe that Gilmour is pretty much a better guitar player than syd, after all Dave taught him. Gilmour had more emotion in his playing, syd was more erratic.

Yes, the band should have felt guilty for Syd's demise and they pretty much do. They just didnt know the extent of his condition, and didnt know he had an underlying mental condition. (which was manic depression). Hell, they let him and even persuaded him to trip out on acid many times. Still, I dont think they were as bad as his flatmates who ended up lacing everything in his apartment with lsd. Even his tapwater was laced.