Pink Floyd

Discussion in 'Music' started by Nistix, May 8, 2004.

1. Bonky

Bonky Member

They ruuuuullll!!!!!!!!!

2. AreYouExperienced

AreYouExperienced American Victim

Floyd rocks, I got to see the lazer show last month, it was fuckin awesome!

3. Peasento

Peasento Member

HAAAAA HA HA HA HA!! I love it!

4. Nermidi

Nermidi Member

Roger doesn't play drums you fool, he is clasicaly trained harp player....

and David is their dancer, He is in the cage dancing nude on overy song except when they play live.
    He also drives their van to the shows becouse nobody in the band has a drivers licence.
    I really like the song called, "Hit me baby one more time" from their album Flowers and Dingleberries.

5. TripperofMusic

TripperofMusic Member

pink floyd is a great rocknroll band

6. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

Mmmm Hmmm, of course they do. I heard of a rumor of a reunion tour with Roger Waters and David Gilmour... ha, I pretty much completely doubt it though since they hate eachother. Oh well, either way, it's cool.

7. God

God Member

Syd Barrett pink floyd, the only true pink floyd era. Long live Piper At the Gates of Dawn, and Syd Barrett, the true genius behind the band that Roger Waters STOLE from him. Lonve live Syd Barrett!

8. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

that rumour is as old as the hills. they will never regroup, even if the fate of the world lied in them reuniting as a band, it would not happen.

9. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

syd pretty much left the band. He could have fought for the rights of the group's name since he was the one who came up with it. I know the whole story goes that they stopped picking syd up for gigs, but hell, he didnt even attempt to get back into the band, so he basically quit as well. Syd was only on one album pretty much, but the band themselves created their niche without him. So, I wouldnt say that roger waters stole from syd barrett. IF anything, it was the whole band, including david gilmour. Still, the only thing they really stole was the name

10. adigaskell

adigaskell Member

Most of 'Wish You Were Here' was about Syd so his influence is unmistakeable.

Plus I'm not sure that he was in any kind of state to be fighting anyone for the rights to the group. It was my understanding that he was ditched because he was so high on acid all the time, not because of any falling out between him and the rest of the band.

In my opinion Piper at the Gates.. is well worth buying alongside Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon.

11. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

Pink Floyd is the GREATEST! It's actually hard to say that because you're talking about two things at the same time. Syd Barret and Roger Waters.

12. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

yes, he did influence them, especially Roger Waters. Syd Barrett wrote these simple lyrics within these psychedelic melodies which inspired Roger quite a bit when he was writing songs on his own. Especially on Bike, Roger took what he learned from that, and came up with Breathe in the Air...

Shine On You Crazy Diamond was written for Syd of course, if it wasnt for him, the band wouldnt have been around in the form as we all know it. They had to pay homage to the man who started it all, but still you must realize that they broke away from his influence, and put all the psychedelic music in the past and went on to other things, mostly going into the progressive genre, and a bit into the avante garde.

You are absolutely correct about Syd being ditched because of his erratic nature on stage and in the studio. They would be playing a song on stage, and he would all of a sudden start playing something else, or he would wonder offstage. He had gotten too unpredictable due in part to his LSD use and his manic depression. Their shows were suffering, so they had to get dave gilmour to play his parts, which he had done so well. The band thought they could go ahead and go without Syd to some shows. Actually, they thought they could do a Brian Wilson type of thing with Syd. That means Syd would do all the writing and working things in the studio, while dave gilmour sang and played his parts during the gigs. Syd didnt really want to do that though, so he basically went solo (and by basically going solo I mean Dave, Roger and Rick were still there helping him out in the studio).

Piper is a masterpiece, no doubt about it. But, I think Syd has this cult following and mystical quality about him that I just cant really stand. Its on the same wavelength as Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Cobain (amoung others), because these were amazing songwriters who left the music business too early leaving everyone to wonder what would have become of them if they had lingered on in the biz for years to follow. So, this mythical quality lingers around these people in great proportions that make them look like gods, which they werent. They were just humans that made bad mistakes.

13. Nistix

Nistix Member

Having been the person to start this thread I feel I have to have the last word. I believe the Rodger Waters era to be Pink Floyd's golden age! I do realise the advantages that Lucifer Sam brings to the world though as well!!!

14. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

Rogers learned a lot after Syd left. He started to get more control over the music and the themes. He moved into some darker areas, but produced some great rock. It might have been for the better for them to have deserted Syd though. Waters might not have had a chance to create DSOTM the way he had wanted to. With all the drugs Syd was taking, he'd have ended up like the Elvis of Psych. rock.

15. pink floyd

pink floyd carousing&ransacking

okay, i dont feel like entering into the pink floyd debate going on (which i think is great - i love to hear other's views on the floyd)
    BUT
    i will express my extreme love and appreciation for the band who changed my life
    i dont think any other band's music will touch me like pink floyd's

16. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

DO you have to shout, Nistix? LOl. Everyone knows they rule.

Just kidding, I love Pink Floyd. I have dark side of the moon, echoes, and I love their music. My favorite is "Wish you were here", and "Money"

HAs anyone ever played "Wizard of Oz" in sync with "Dark side of the moon"? It's triipy shit!!

17. TerminalMadness

TerminalMadness Member

It's not call "We dont need no education" it's called "the wall part 2"

18. StAlphonzo

StAlphonzo Member

Pink Floyd were an amazing band.

19. Skelter

Skelter Helter

i love pink floyd. the piper at the gates of dawn is one of my favourite albums of the sixties. their other albums are excellent too. But i don't like the albums that were released after 1983, when roger left.

20. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

nu uh, when I got the song of kazaa, it was labeled "We Dont need no Education", and Kazaa is always right!