Picked my own shrooms. Are they safe?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by mikefarley001, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Desos

Desos Senior Member

lol i remember going looking for mushrooms and finding lots looking like these. psychedelic mushrooms are a little harder to find but i think they always come back at the same spot if u can find where some are u can come back next season to harvest more.

2. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

^^^i think that's why you're supposed to "flick and pick." flicking the shroom before you pick them will make it drop some spores. though if it's opened up, it's probably already dropped some.

thanks for the shout-out, noxious.

3. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

Yeah but those people have the good sense to leave them alone.

4. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

1) Get a copy of Paul Stamets Book " Psilocybin Mishrooms of the world"

2) most shrooms grow on wood chips or in well manuted areas

3) most shrooms flesh bruises blue when picked

4) most shrooms have black or purplish black spore prints

When picking mushrroms the first ing to look for is good indicators like the bluing reaction and then take a spore print. i have been picking for 10 years and always take a print of every mushroom i find before eating it just to make sure it has the proper colored print.

If you are going to go picking....... Learn about them first. The San Fran bay has a huge mycological society....... Join them and go on some forrays with them and learn from them..... Don't just blurt out you are looking for shrooms because they will think you are a narc. Give it a few weeks and the shroomheads will make their presence known.

They also have a mushroom cultivation class..... Shrooms are some of the easiest mushrooms to grow.

http://www.mssf.org/cultivation/
    Youll be picking and buying home grown in no time

5. porkstock41

can you tell me how you go about taking a spore print, grainpsilo?
    what's the easiest way? what's the best way?

do you do it once you get home, or right where you find the shrooms?

thanks.

6. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

I've never eaten shrooms that look like that. I would be super careful and maybe get a book.

7. BlueLightRain

BlueLightRain Member

put a cap on a white piece of paper and put a glass over it. It will make a spore print.

8. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

I handle the mushrooms gingerly by placing them in a small box lined with tissue paper when out in the field so the specimens stay intact.

Cut the cap off the stem as close to the gills as possible with small scissors amd place on white paper and place a cup over it.... Give it 4 hours and youll have a good print.

I usually use tin foil though because i like to preserve the wild genetics.

9. porkstock41

you put the cup upside down so the mushroom is protected inside?

and what do you use the tinfoil for?

10. Grainpsilo

Grainpsilo Member

You put the cup over the top to keep air currents to a minimum..... Spore are very small and the slightest draft will blow them away. It also keep the humidity up around the cap so it doesn't dry out to quickly

The tin foil is folded in half and the edges are sealed up. This keep the spores safe until I can put them on agar and try to isolate a good strain for indoor cultivation.

11. ericmst18

ericmst18 Guest

Be carefull and have 911 on speed dial lol

12. nectar

nectar Member

There are so many species of wild fungi- really you should have some idea of what you are looking for before you go and pick any old thing!
    Learn poisonous ones too so you know what to avoid! Death Cap, Destroying Angel, Panther Cap...these are some that spring to mind.
    People say you can handle these mushrooms and live to tell the tale...personally I wouldn't want to risk it.

13. B-Kind

B-Kind Guest

Wrong kind...all of em....quick and easy test...the correct shroom will turn blue purpleish if u break stem and blow on it...no other shroom mimics this...if it turns blue or purple its the correct kind, that is also why the ring, or skirt on it is purple it is the fleshy material that covers the bottom of the shroom and is white until the shroom grows enough to open and this causes this fleshy material to break loose from the bottom of the shroom releasing the spores and as a result the fleshy material dies and turns purple or blue in the process...black is wrong kind...no color change is wrong kind...unless it is a already dried shroom then you may see no color change. do not eat shrooms unless u know they are the correct kind or they could kill you even if u go to the hospital there is no cure for a death angel ingestion. Slow agonizing death....u can find many pics of correct shrooms on the net silly..and there are several different kinds but I know of none that mimic the blue or purple color when u break the stalk...

14. Ol' Zeus

Ol' Zeus Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

You are wrong on your assumptions. There are several other types of mushrooms that bruise blue that aren't magic, and purple bruising is entirely different than blue bruising when it comes to mushrooms. There are also magic mushrooms that rarely exhibit any bluing at all.

15. B-Kind

B-Kind Guest

well if Im wrong then I do stand corrected thanks for the input... In my personal experience however these are the only ones I ever picked because I do not know all of the different species but I do know these....and by the way...I have never seen a different one turn blue...but I am not the shroom know it all...like I said I only know the ones I have picked, and Ive picked em well over 30 years..and Ive tested the blueing effect on every single species Ive ever encountered in my fields of choice and no orther has ever turned blue for me and the purple blue is only way I know to describe it because sometimes they do turn darker blue and purple and it varies from shroom to shroom of exact same species...in my personal 30 years of picking and tripping on them..I do not doubt there are some magic shrooms that do not turn blue...but I have never seen one turn blue that wasn't magic...once again..this is only my personal experience though and certinaly I haven't picked all of the species of magic shrooms,,,just the ones that grow in my area...in my area...NO Shrooms turn blue...except the right shrooms ...and the right shrooms always turn blue...and sometimes so dark that I refer to it as purple...but its the same species...
    So mabee I need some schooling in the difference in bluing and purpling...for me though...this strategy has never led me wrong...and once again...Ive never had any other species period turn blue...just the magic ones in the fields that I used to frequent...and they are always the same kind. I never knew of any other mushrooms to turn blue, but I haven't picked em from all of the places in the world that they grow, but my test has always held true in my area, and believe me, Ive picked a lot of shrooms and spent a lot of time in fields checking all shrooms I could find to see if any of the other ones turn blue and I have never had one turn blue other than the good ones...the ones I eat and have eaten for over 30 years...I tripped my first time at 14 on shroom tea my cousin made, the next day I had him take me to the field and show me the same kind he made the tea out of....Ive been picking them ever since. So if there are some good ones that do not turn blue, then I do not know because I never took a chance and ate something other than what I knew to be the right kind...mabee I missed on some species...but I sure found a correct species this way.