Phish

Discussion in 'Music' started by syd, Jan 3, 2005.

1. syd

syd Banned

I've heard a lot of talk about Phish on this forum, but i have no idea who they are. What sort of music do they do? And what albums can people suggest?

2. sleepy_ashes

sleepy_ashes Member

they're considered the quintesential jam-band, but they aren't like most in my humble opinon...

They're all very talented musicians.... their earlier stuff is a bit funkier, it's all great. They have poetic word patterns that for some strange reason remind me a bit of Frank Zappa. People often compare the to the Grateful Dead, but I wouldn't say that's musically, they're both just great at jamming and have a massive fan base.

I'd pick up A picture of Nectar or Farmhouse first.... they're both great albums and great for starters.

3. Elle

Elle Senior Member

A picture of Nectar is a good one and I also like Lawn Boy. If you want to hear some of their music just go to their website, and they have phish radio there. It plays live phish stuff.

4. tpgi

tpgi Member

Phish is the most well known jamband since the grateful dead, and in my oppinion one of the best. I would check out any of the albums that have been mentioned plus Junta. Junta was their first studio album and probably their best. If you like what you hear on the albums check out their live stuff. If you are interested in some live cd's listen to either Live Phish 6, 9, 14, 18, 19, aww fuck it cany live phish cd.

5. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

A Live One is a good disc.
    all the discs up till Rift are good.
    slip Stich and Pass is good too.
    try phish.com, they might have a track you can listen too.
    unfortunately they quit, and played there last show this august. i had the pleasure of seeing 72 shows, including 3 last year. there last good solid year of touring was 98. there last good year of recording was 94.