Phish spliting up! Coventry last show...

Discussion in 'Events and Festivals' started by BuddyBuds, May 25, 2004.

1. BuddyBuds

BuddyBuds Member

I hate to be the one to break this (atleast as far as I've seen)

from www.phish.com

AN ANNOUNCEMENT FROM TREY 05.25.04
    Last Friday night, I got together with Mike, Page and Fish to talk openly about the strong feelings I've been having that Phish has run its course and that we should end it now while it's still on a high note. Once we started talking, it quickly became apparent that the other guys' feelings, while not all the same as mine, were similar in many ways -- most importantly, that we all love and respect Phish and the Phish audience far too much to stand by and allow it to drag on beyond the point of vibrancy and health. We don't want to become caricatures of ourselves, or worse yet, a nostalgia act. By the end of the meeting, we realized that after almost twenty-one years together we were faced with the opportunity to graciously step away in unison, as a group, united in our friendship and our feelings of gratitude.

So Coventry will be the final Phish show. We are proud and thrilled that it will be in our home state of Vermont. We're also excited for the June and August shows, our last tour together. For the sake of clarity, I should say that this is not like the hiatus, which was our last attempt to revitalize ourselves. We're done. It's been an amazing and incredible journey. We thank you all for the love and support that you've shown us.

-- Trey Anastasio

what the hell???

2. jackerouac

jackerouac Member

i just saw it on the website ..........i have tickets for camden and hope to purchase coventry if not sold out ........damn is all i can say

3. peony blossom

peony blossom Member

I know, i'm ready to start crying.

4. Maria420

Maria420 Member

OH MY GOD

APRIL FOOLS??!?!??? RIGHT??????????

5. BuddyBuds

BuddyBuds Member

i wish it was my friend...

it's like a bad dream I can't wake up from, see you all at coventry hopefully, you know they'll go out with a bang

6. Maria420

Maria420 Member

Hell Fucking Yea!!!!!! I Just Bought 7 Tickets!!!!!!!!! I Wish I Had Money To Buy 77 More

7. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

i'm right there with you, this sucks

8. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

oh i need to go see coventry bad, but theres no way i can afford the loot, cus im not workin roght now and i just bought 2 for deer creek and a bonnaroo, so you kids are gonna have to sneak me in to the vermont fest.

9. 7leafclover

7leafclover Member

This sucks so bad...The festival will be amazing tho.

10. mellimel19

mellimel19 Member

Coventry is going to be sooo sad, but I also feel obligated to be there as part of a proper farewell to a beloved old friend, who has done so much for music and for me personally, as I'm sure they have done for many of you as well. See you all there. :(

11. drbeaker

drbeaker Member

This is unfair! Phish aren't allowed to break up until they all die, just like the dead. Those bastards!

12. dhs

dhs Senior Member

As stated in another forum - everyone should be pissed at trey for this

see, i expected this to happen soon. This was not the 'band's' decision - it was Trey's. He's cut from the same mold as an artist like Sting - he's a fabulous talent, but he's an ego maniac who has to do Trey's thing. Now that his success with Phish has enabled him to embark on a succesful solo career where its all Trey, all the time - he's going this route.

I'm sure if you talked to Paige, Mike or Fish - none of them would've agreed to this. Those who have met Trey and seen the way he interacts with the other band members would know that this statement is a cop-out for him quiting.

Like I said folks, you should all be pissed at trey for this one.

13. DrDooblittle

DrDooblittle Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

^^^^ true true. in treys message he said that everyone didnt have the same feelings toward the band splitting up. trey still is an incredible musician though.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

On a lighter note, ill be at both deer creek and alpine shows, so all i can say to trey is thanks for the memories past and soon to come :)

14. BuddyBuds

BuddyBuds Member

I don't know if anyone saw Jimmy Kimmel Live last night but here's a little blurb or what he said on the show:

"The band phish broke up today, you know the band phish? it's really a shame, i'm sure all their fans will be upset next week when they come down from whatever drugs their on."

what an ignorant bastard I say, but sadly most of the country holds this same exact view. To them, phish is a band for crazed drug addicts. It just doesn't seem right, so phish was discovered by a drug influenced subculture, that doesn't take away from the immense talent the members have, especially trey. Maybe i'm wrong, but i think part of the reason for the split may be trey hoping to escape the stigma of 'drug addict' among the wider population, and finally be appreciated for his abilities..

whatever the case, he'll allways be a jedi

15. bradofcentralpa

bradofcentralpa Member

hey...it isn't like they aren't making music in other bands though...i think trey's band may be the best thing at bonnaroo this year. but w/ the breakup, i'm extra glad i'm able to go see em in august in jersey.

16. lildeadheadash

lildeadheadash Member

I thought you guys were hippies?
    Instead of being pissed off and mad at Phish you should be grateful that you got to experience them! What if Phish was never even around? Appreciate the music and one day you will be able to tell other people about them. Some things just can't last forever.