Phantom of the Opera

Discussion in 'Movies' started by RainbowCat, Jan 6, 2005.

1. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

Yes! i just saw this mve and it was AWESOME! i havnt seen the play, and i know i should, but the movie is great. i totally recommend it. but i dont think everyonw would like it. can see the bad parts of it. the mood is a little wierd, but overall it's wonderful. go see it if you feel like it!

2. Super_Grrl

Super_Grrl Crazy love

Whoohoo that was SO good!

3. morningglory

morningglory Member

I've been wanting to see that!

4. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

If you're familiar with this musical, then the movie is delicious, although if you go and see the show live you'll be impressed a lot more. If you don't like musicals, or Andrew Lloyd Webber's music, then there's a high chance you'll get bored watching this, as the whole movie consists almost entirely of music. Anyway, the music I found to be so relaxing that even if you fall asleep in the aisles, it'll be the most refreshing sleep you've had in years. Just make sure the Phantom doesn't see you.

5. roly

roly Senior Member

i loved it..i loved the richness and general lushness of the acting, music and set design, magnificent...i was blown away and i truly did escape into the realm of the film...
    Roly.xxx

6. puddin

puddin Banned

What is it about?

7. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Not so sure about the Lloyd Webber bit. I generally can't stand his stuff (although in fairness, that usually has more to do with Tim Rice's lyrics!), but Phantom is an outstanding gem in his portfolio. I can see this movie appealing to people who may not like the rest of Lloyd Webber's work.

I've seen the stage musical twice - once in London, and once in Liverpool - and while the film has its flaws (usually where it detracts from the original), it's still a sumptuous and absorbing adaptation that more than does justice to its source material. I thouroughly enjoyed it. Oh yeah, and Minnie Driver as Carlotta is an absolute fucking blast!

8. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

i LOVE LOVE LOVED the music in it! SO much ENERGY!

9. V-Agent

V-Agent Member

If i don't see another overblown hammy Andrew Loyd Webster musical it won't be a day too soon, I have very little patience for someone who keeps rehashing the same formula time and tired time again.

Having said that, I grabbed a copy off Bit Torrent and had a bit of a chuckle at it, but it'll be ice cream day in hell before I hand over a single dime to see something that was already well past it's use by date in the late 80s.

10. DoktorAtomik

Formulas tend to be formulas because they work. Having said that, I do detest most of Lloyd Webber's stuff. But Phantom is his one worthy production in my book. But then perhaps that's just the goth in me speaking :&

11. nathalie7777

nathalie7777 Member

That was an awesome movie, I loved it

12. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

I can't believe that everyone actually liked this film. I thought it completely sucked.

Good Points:
    1. Emmy Rossum can sing. I thought her acting was rather suspect (I thought she seemed more indecisive than tortured), but she can definitely sing.
    2. Minnie Driver was fantastic. It was almost worth watching the film just to see her perform.
    3. The opening sequence with the special effects that melt the abandoned theater into the lush opera house of years past.

Bad Points:
    1. Gerard Butler: Can't sing and is way too pretty and too young to be the phantom.
    2. Patrick Wilson: Can't sing and is so incipid as Raoul that I kept hoping the phantom would throw him off the roof, strangle him, drown him or do whatever else it might take to get rid of him.
    3. The 30 foot tall monks in the cemetary. Makes you realize just how Schumacher destroyed the Batman franchise.

13. DoktorAtomik

I thought his singing was acceptable. I also don't think he was too young to play the phantom. Emily Rossum was 16 at the time of filming, and their were concerns that audiences wouldn't react well to an older phantom perving over her. Not a decision I'm convinced about, but I can see where they're coming from. Too pretty? Possibly. They really needed to mutilate him more :X

I enjoyed the movie's portrayal of Raoul more than either of the stage productions I've seen. I think Raoul needs to be a little insipid personally in order to explain why Christine doesn't just ditch the cripple and get down to some serious squelchies with Raoul right from the get go. ;)

Don't remember the monks. The whole cemetary scence was fucking ridiculous though. Raoul's got the phantom on the floor and at his mercy, and he just walks the fuck away?!?! I could live with that if it wasn't for the fact that the very next scene centres on an elaborate plot to capture him. I was by far the worst aspect of the movie for me.

Bottom line though was that the music and atmosphere were compelling enough to make the film pleasantly distracting. It wasn't a masterpiece by any definition, but it was a good popcorn movie.

14. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

i dont think the phantom looked right, either

15. Co0kiezGurl

Co0kiezGurl Banned

I love the stage show. I've seen it 3 times. I really want to see the movie too. What I REALLY want though, is the book. Every Phantom fan I've talked to has said that the book is a must read. There are apparently 2 versions? or more? Not sure...I know I've heard of 2...just by 2 dif authors...one is generally preferred over the other, but the author's name escapes me now.

16. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

The book was written by Gaston Leroux.

17. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

ah ha! i found it.. see, another phantom post

18. Marlyn

Marlyn Member

I did not know that Emmy was 16 in that movie - like i know thats how old Christine is in the book, but isnt she much older in the play? and isnt this movie based on the play which is INCREDIBLY different from the book?

I thought this movie was awesome and I enjoyed Gerard's singing, in fact I'm, listening to the movie version for Music of the Night and am mentally writhing in pleasure :p It was FAR better than that of Micheal Crawfords (famous for his performance as the phantom). I thought that yes the phantom is supposed to be not pretty, but i enjoyed the pretty part very VERY much :p yummy. Plus the story, Oh my GAWD the story!! So damn romantic! I can even compare it to my second favorite story (*story* not necessarily play/book) Peter Pan, second only to the Phantom of the Opera. I thought that Peter Pan was an extremely romantic story (ya there kids but its a first love thing - you have to read the book and not watch the horribly butchered version by *shudders* Disney) So yeah, thats all i really have to say about this movie...i guess..

19. Marlyn

Marlyn Member

I think the two versions referred to, are the play and the book, they differ immensly.

20. Doran

Doran Member

First off let me just say Hollywood has been out of ideas for quiet some time. Then let me say that Hollywood likes to add randmon "action" and "drama" that doesnt exist in the orignal works.

There is the sword fighting in the orignal Phantom of the Opera. If your going to adapt a play to movie format, they should stick to the orignal as closey as posible.

Remakes are also getting tiresome. Such as:
    Flight of the Pheonix
    Assault on Precinct 13
    Phantom of the Opera
    The Manchurian Candidate

Walking Tall
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Stepford Wives
    The Grudge (origanly a Japanese Film)
    Shall We Dance
    (origanly a Japanese Film)
    The Alamo
    Dawn of the Dead
    The Lady Killers
    Man on Fire
    The Punisher

All these movies were realease in the last year. Im not sure where Hollywood is going with this, they cant even make movies that different (but like another movie made already) they just do remakes and sequals.