Peyote Question

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by oldordie, Sep 3, 2012.

1. oldordie

oldordie Guest

I have a question about the ways to use peyote. Is it possible to smoke Peyote? My daughter is a member of a coven that is considering what the use of mind altering drugs would do for them as a group. One of the people in her group insists that Peyote can only be swallowed. I know it has been almost 40 years since the only time I did Peyote, but I swear we smoked it because we didn't know what else to do with it. It seems to me that we grated it fine then mixed it with marijuana to be able to smoke it. I remember it tasted horrible and made us all cough like we were ready to spit out a lung. I do seem to remember a nice trip, just nasty getting there. Am I remembering wrong or is it true that if you remember those days you were not there?

2. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The mescaline molecule would break down with the heat of a flame. But there are other alkaloids in the cactus that have an effect on you. Some of them could be active by smoking perhaps.

3. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

No one in their right mind would waste peyote by smoking it.
    You can only get proper effects from ingesting it.

4. Colimon

Colimon Cheesus Christo

I hear this untrue statement from MOST people who haven't taken it/really know what it is. Not all of it, but alot of it stems from the movie Zoolander when the character Hansel (Owen Wilson) says: So I'm rappelling down Mount Vesuvius when suddenly I slip, and I start to fall. Just falling, ahh ahh, I'll never forget the terror. When suddenly I realize "Holy shit, Hansel, haven't you been smoking Peyote for six straight days, and couldn't some of this maybe be in your head?" This causes GREAT misconception, and a lot of people I've talked to say they either got the smoking peyote myth from word of mouth or this movie.

5. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Even if the mescaline wasn't destroyed by the heat and flame you'd still have to smoke a helluva lot

6. Black_Lotus

Black_Lotus Member

Has anyone ever played GTA Lost and Damned?
    There's a cut scene where this biker guy hands another biker guy a bong inferred to be filled with pot. The biker smokes it, and the first biker guy says
    "haha, that was topped with mescaline, you're going to be trippin' for days"

I never thought much about it, so I always thought you could smoke it. But ever other time I've read about peyote and looked into, I think you can only eat the buttons, or consume a liquid extraction of mescaline.

7. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

Yeah lol, Those Houser bro's are such jokers. I think it's Dan Houser who oversees the dialogue... I love all the GTA drug humor. It's always so delightfully over the top :2thumbsup:

8. oldordie

oldordie Guest

Thank you all for the information. I am now convinced that whatever it was we smoked was not Peyote. Small town in Michigan, 1970s, none of us really knew what Peyote looked like so who knows what it was we smoked.

9. cuscowahca

cuscowahca Guest

Peyote and San Pedro are sacred plants and are not to be smoked. it is to be consumed by eating it Peyote, or SP drinking it in the powder form or cooked cactus form.