Peyote please read!!!

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by richm534, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Peyote*coyote

Peyote*coyote Member

Glad to hear the love for this medicine from many points of views. Remember it's between you and the medicine. I don't think its anywhere close to extinction, I would recommend another substance if you wanna get visuals. The peyote is the real mccoy, I've been raised my entired life with this medicine, I mean the law has only been placed by the white man in power. I think it's wrong to exclude any peoples, but it is what it is. As a real full blood native, I still think it's bull shit that I have to show my BIA official certificates from different indian nations recognized by the friggin feds to show my blood quantum and then if I get caught transporting medicine to a ceremony that I must hire a laywer for thousands of dollars to prove my bonafide intentions. IT's the fuckin law that has to change.

2. Holy Ancient Megumi

Holy Ancient Megumi Member

i agree with Soaring Eagle , i have done ceromialy and tho it is restriced it is for reasons , honor and show respect to peyote. if it disaperse other bottons will to , respect what u dont know respect a ppl a nation that u dont know , love them as ur own , honor their sacred , learn from elders and from that what brought all to be even peyote
    Wakan Takanka all my relatives

3. Jim_Morrison_Reincarnate

Jim_Morrison_Reincarnate Member

you don't know what the fuck your talking about. Peyote is NOT endangered. It's in decline because of the native american church. the NAC harvest MILLIONS of peyote buttons a year. So if anyones to blame its them.

Second, 100 year old button? unlikely. If you did, it would be very minimal because the mescaline content is 2 percent of what a "fresh" button would be. Also, Mescaline by itself makes you sick. So good luck avoiding that.

4. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

i can respect soaringeagle's view of peyote as sacred and worth saving, however his claims that there is strychnine in peyote, and that san pedro is endangered are untrue. San pedro grows much faster than peyote and is found in gardens in here in the US, as well as wild all over western South America. I literally can go down the street and purchase a rooted san pedro from a nursery. It's a much more sustainable crop and isn't being harvested faster than the species can reproduce, unlike peyote.

It's not just the NAC that is overharvesting but the widespread poaching of the cactus takes place in Mexico by non-indigenous people. a lot of people destroy the plant in the process of harvesting it. fortunately large populations still exist in extremely remote areas and there is time to help propogate the species by seed and give it a fighting chance for survival.

100 year old buttons do exist, and are quite large, however i was under the impression that these are sacred grandfather peyote, and are revered and given tobacco offerings- not eaten.

5. Holy Ancient Megumi

Holy Ancient Megumi Member

i have learned that from an elder , i rember the story of grandfather Peyote the elders message" respect Grand Father , and he shall repesct you he shall watch over you "

6. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

Alot of people grow peyote in the netherlands and in Texas. Peyote is very sacred. If you are looking for mescaline kicks you could just drink san pedro or st. peter. I know in my faith I would never use the great grandfather peyote in my extractions. The peyote should be consumed in a ceremony. The NAC should learn to farm the medicine. You can graft the grandfathers to the St. Peters to induce rapid growth. The flower can be pollinated using a Q-tip during flowering to produce seeds.

7. DeepMotherFucker

DeepMotherFucker Member

Native americans have eating it in there religion, i dont think they get introuble growin on reservations.

8. Omacatl

Omacatl Senior Member

most of them don't grow it though. millions of buttons a year are purchased from cacti harvesters in southern Texas and taken back to the reservations in the US and Canada. if they do grow it, its not enough to even put a dent in the impact their consumption takes on the wild populations of peyote.