Peyote and nausea

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by Colt420, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Colt420

Colt420 Members

Does anyone know if there is a way to take peyote without the nausea?

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Probably not, the primary psychedelic alkaloid in Peyote is Mescaline, which even when isolated is often reported to cause nausea in many people. The cornucopia of other psychoactive alkaloids in Peyote ( compounds other than mescaline) probably exacerbates the nausea to the extent where people report vomiting from it. Knowing how sparse Peyote is in my region, personally I would not pass up an opportunity to try it, but if the prospect of vomiting outweighs it's appeal to you, I'd recommend San Pedro or Peruvian Torch cacti. These cacti contain a less concentrated amount of Mescaline but also a lot less of the other alkaloids, so in a sense it's a more "pure" trip. However a drawback in comparison to Peyote, is they require more extensive preparation processes because they are both columnar cacti.

I've done San Pedro about a half dozen times and have yet to vomit from it. I tend to wait a full hour and a half to come up before I explore much on it and have cyclic nausea from it throughout at intervals of about every couple hours but it's tolerable and well worth the experience.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Colt420 likes this.
  3. EricForman

EricForman Mellow Fellow & Jedi Knight

So what you are saying is that there may be a milder peyote but either way nausea will still be something the user will have to put up with

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Not exactly... Mescaline is the primary psychedelic in all 3 cacti. Peyote is a small round cacti, the other 2 are large columnar cacti, more of your traditional garden variety cacti.

What I'm saying is Peyote has a bunch of other chemicals in it which are more likely to elicit stronger nausea, often to the point of vomiting. The other cacti don't have these other chemicals, conceivably one could take a large dose to produce a mescaline trip comparable to that of Peyote, without the vomiting or as intense of nausea. Some nausea is bound to be present but I think it manifests itself in a qualitative difference.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  5. EricForman

EricForman Mellow Fellow & Jedi Knight

Oh. Okay. That makes sense I suppose. It is nice to know that there are those who know about it. I remember reading The Teachings of Don Juan D'Marco by Carlos Castanada. Not sure if I am spelling correctly though.

6. JE303

JE303 A little paranoid and a lot of rock and roll

Far out. I'd love to be able to take peyote and skip the throwing up.

7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Lab made Mescaline made me less sick than a cactus. My source for that no longer makes it. Even on the onions no one does. I guess it's just not profitable. Unless you find that you have to get sick.

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

i wonder how in the world peyote was discovered. I've never done it. Just acid and shrooms for psychedelics unless you count x which I've done only a handful of times. :mask:

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's been used by indigenous people of the South West and Mexico as a sacrament for a long time. Some Peyote ceremonies consisted of participants dancing all night to repetitive music, perhaps could draw some loose parallels to raves.

soulcompromise likes this.