Peter Max

Discussion in 'Old Hippies' started by Duncan, May 15, 2004.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Anyone ever own a Peter Max poster ?

Haven't seen it for years, but I still love the work !

2. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

No, but I had a Peter Max clock; it was sort of a pink and black, warped checkerboard design. Very cool, but I lost it in a fire in the late 70s.

3. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

my mom had this big giant one, like some kind of poster for giants

4. Fizzyliftingdrink

Fizzyliftingdrink Member

I have a peter max calendar from a couple of years ago.
    One weekend my mom and I were in Toronto for an art show, and the hotel that we were staying at was having an auction that was mainly of Peter Max work! It was so cool. There were a few originals there, everything was way to rich for my blood, but it was so neat to go right up and look at them. There were a few Dali scetches too, which completely blew my mind!!

5. earthfog

earthfog Member

6. imhip

imhip Member

Back “in the day”, I was a Max fan.

You can see his style influence in some of my original work:

[​IMG]

But, when he “sold out to the man” and became a capitalist pig, he lost favor with me and many of his hippie followers.

“More than 72 companies distributed Max's designs, selling over $250,000,000 worth of merchandise.”

As I recall, he went “corporate” and rarely had a hand in millions of products produced under his brand.

imhip

7. unionpacificrailroad

unionpacificrailroad Member

Peace,

i have heard of his art. it is verry special because he just used it differently. estead of just money he put heart and soul into his artwork!

later

8. thatcrazygeminiberni

thatcrazygeminiberni Member

I had many posters in my room at my parents house(I was 14)Peter Max( A rainbow head or something), "This is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life" and assorted blacklight ones. I ran away from home and my mom tore those bad boys up. They're probably worth a nice sum of money now!

9. gdhmomchild

gdhmomchild Duct tape abuser

Actually I still do, except they are signed limited edition prints, lol, times sure do change. He was one of my major influences in art while growing up (I'm still doing that btw) and i had lots of stuff he did, posters and magazines that featured his artwork. Had a cool one that had all of the astrology signs. I catch him once in awhile on one of the T.V. shopping networks that periodically feature his prints but I stopped looking after the last expenditure. I don't like alot of his newer work. He gets on a theme I don't like. The two I have is his old style, one small one of his "Zen Boat", and the other is poster style,"Sunrise".

10. mosaicthreads

mosaicthreads Member

Love Peter Max! My walls were plastered with his posters when I was a teen.

My kids all love him too....they have grown up watching Yellow Submarine. Now my grandson loves it too, he wore out the video we had of it. I'll have to get it for him on dvd for his 3rd birthday. :O) Shhh....don't tell his mom.

11. riversong

riversong Member

Yep, and I've still got it! Found it in a box last year and it blew me away. It's very fragile so I plan on getting it framed someday soon. I love it, not just because of the art, but because of all the memories, too.

12. Unkle_John

Unkle_John Member

I have a Playboy issue with a Peter Max cover.
    Infact if anyone who has watched "Friends" (I don't, my wife does) that issue is used as a prop. I should sell it on ebay.... hmmmmm.

13. Mistress_Sassafras

Mistress_Sassafras Member

I just found this thread so sorry if it's been exhausted already, but it reminded me that I have a Peter Max curtain panel somewhere in a box in my storage unit.
    Totally forgot about it until now.

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I went to a lecture Max gave back in oh, 70- 71 at the college I was attending. Very good.

If I remember correctly he was a commercial artist making very big bucks then went into seclusion for awhile and developed his trade mark style.
    I imagine he had to go commercial eventually if he hoped to keep his work in the public eye and earn a living.

15. Nathan11

Nathan11 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I really dig thoes first pictures up there ^^.
    They look like the art in 'Yellow Submarine.'
    Bitchin.