Peta Videos

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by WaitingForTheSun, Jun 15, 2004.

1. WaitingForTheSun

WaitingForTheSun Member

So I'm a former vegetarian. I was veggie for about two years from when I was 12 to when I was 14. I've been pondering whether or not to become a vegetarian again recently. Meat just makes me sad. Then last night one of my friends had a Peta DVD called Meet Your Meat. It was footage of slaughter houses and dairy farms. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. I realized how nasty these places were already, but actually seeing the video confirmed my suspections. Then it also showed footage from animal testing labs and it showed how people make goose liver, which made me want to vomit. I'm thinking I'm going to become vegetarian now, but that doesn't seem to be enough. These animals are being beaten to death and killed violenty in other various ways. Does anyone know of anything that I can do to promote animal rights? I really want to get active in this, I just don't know how. Thanks for your time.

2. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

I've been a vegan, and a PETA member since I was 14...I'm 27 now. I think the best thing for you to do would be to join the peta2 streetteam. Go to www.peta2.com to sign up. And feel free to email me if you have any questions. :)

3. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Yeah man, the street team's great! I love PETA, they made me go veggie the vegan a few years later(well, I'm currently in the process of gradually switching:))

4. peacegal

peacegal Member

Well, one of the best ways to go about it is by making changes in your own life and informing yourself (which you have already begun to do, which is great) before taking on the world.
    Trying to go from meat-eater to activist overnight is a major cause of "burnout" and frustration in new vegetarians. It's no wonder, because figuring out your new eating habits AND learning about all the issues AND advocating to others is quite a mental load for anyone.
    My suggestion is, get your bearings with the veg thing first--focus on replacing the meat in your diet so you won't feel something is "missing". You can also join some animal rights organizations to learn more about the issues. May I suggest Compassion Over Killing? www.cok.net . They are a small, but worthy organization which focuses on factory farming issues. Their newsletters are informative, colorful, and worthwhile; they are a good way to learn about factory farming and veg*an outreach.

5. wastingthedawn

wastingthedawn *~Pure Light~*

Spread awareness! That's the best way... However do not be too "You sadistic murderer...", or "You need to stop eating meat now..." to people. Just gently educate people and let them know about better alternatives because people so often get really defensive about their meat and are really against change...and thats valid we cannot make their decisions or force them into anything they don't want to do, but we can help everyone get informed and hope they make the right choices...good luck:)

A good start would be getting some free leaflets off PETA or any other liberation company, sometimes it helps start the conversation and provides more eyes-on proof...

6. Megara

Megara Banned

ick, dont encourage someone to join PETA...they are a buch of freaks.....look at their commercial comparing the holocaust to animal slaughter...thats absolutely atrocious to not only the 12 million people who died in hitlers holocaust, but everyone who fought and died freeing europe from his grips.

goodluck on promoting animal rights, but you can do better than these whackjobs.

7. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

PETA people are insane! There are so many alternatives that are less radical but just as effective. Check them out instead. People will hate you less and you will be less annoying. Hopefully. :D

8. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

You know, I've been in PETA since I was 14 (I'm 27 now) and always will be. I'm not a "whackjob" (and I find it odd that on a hippy message board such ignorance would even be allowed. Calling names is very unhippylike in my book. I will resist the urge to point out that only people in Kindergarten call names.) I'm also Jewish and am related to Holocaust survivors. PETA wasn't actually the people who started the whole comparing animal cruelty to the Holocaust idea. It was actually a JEWISH HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR who did...his name was Issac Singer. Educated jews like myself know that and support the PETA campaign. It is the uneducated Jewish people and the uneducated Gentiles who don't "get it".

9. rubymontana

rubymontana Member

Reasons to be careful with these people.......

Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it. -- Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA (Vogue, September, 1989).

On the consequences of stopping animal research: "Don't get the diseases in the first place, schmo." -- PETA's David Mathews (USA Today, July 27, 1994).

Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughter houses. -- Ingrid Newkirk, PETA's President, The Washington Post, November 13, 1983.

There is no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They're all mammals. -- Ingrid Newkirk, PETA's President (in The Washington Times August 29, 1999).

Surely there will be some nonhuman animals whose lives, by any standards, are more valuable than the lives of some humans. -- Peter Singer, godfather of the animal rights movement, Animal Liberation: A New Ethic for Our Treatment of Animals, 2nd edition, 1990. (Peter Singer is a philosopher upon who's views PETA was founded)

We need a drastic decrease in human population if we ever hope to create a just and equitable world for animals -- Freeman Wickland, Animal Liberation League, and editor of "No Compromise" in "No Compromise", September 1996.

These are quotes from ALF: It is well documented that PETA funds ALF:

Fire is a tool. Nothing does the amount of damage that fire can. Arson works. Make sure that all buildings or vehicles are free of creatures before lighting one single match. Arson should only be used when it can be guaranteed that the fire will not spread to the sheds the animals are in. -- (In the ALF publication "The Final Nail", under section entitled "Smashing the Furriers").

It would be really great if all these fast-food outlets, slaughter houses, these laboratories and the banks who fund them exploded tomorrow -- Peta Spokesperson Bruce Friedrich.

We are capable of dealing with anyone. No one has died yet but that time will come. -- Keith Mann of ALF, as quoted in the Evening Standard Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause. -- Alex Pacheco, Director, PETA.

I would be overjoyed when the first scientist is killed by a liberation activist. -- Vivien Smith of ALF (USA Today, September 3, 1991).

Peace,ruby

10. Slewinca xracer

Slewinca xracer Member

I am also a member of PETA2.com and it's great! It's completely free, and their message boards are a great place to get advice and support on going veg and other things. Oh and I am not a "whackjob" either. And I am also Jewish and I don't find PETA's "holocaust of the animals" campaign insulting at all. It's just comparing one evil to another. It doesn't make the holocaust any less of a tragedy to be compared to another tragedy. Have you even looked at it closely? www.masskilling.com Here's the page on the campaign's analogy http://www.masskilling.com/analogy.asp
    WaitingForTheSun, here's a website that has a ton of info on factory farming that's from Farm Sanctuary. www.factoryfarming.com
    PETA's website has tons and tons of info on what animals go through in labs, circuses and factory farms. www.peta.org It will also tell you what you can do to help the animals in your daily life. Here's a list of all PETA's sites, http://www.peta.org/other.asp www.caringconsumer.com is a good site on finding cruelty free alternatives to animal tested cosmetics and so on.
    There are a lot of animal rights organizations out there, www.animalsvoice.com can help you find them. But I'll list some here for you.

www.farmsanctuary.org
    www.farmusa.org
    www.mercyforanimals.org
    www.fund.org
    www.idausa.org
    www.LCAnimal.org
    www.friendsofanimals.org
    www.upc-online.org
    www.aavs.org
    www.navs.org
    www.api4animals.org
    www.awionline.org
    www.freedom4animals.org
    Here are some links that can help with going veggie: www.goveg.com www.tryveg.com www.vegforlife.org www.eatveg.com www.madcowboy.com www.navs-online.org www.pcrm.org www.earthsave.org www.ivu.org www.vegsource.org http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/4482/index.html
    I hope all this helps you.

11. Megara

Megara Banned

I thought hippies were supposed to be liberals who were open to diversity? It seems many are just as close minded or even worse than religious zealots.

If someone compares 12 million dead people to 12 million dead chickens, i will call them a whackjob, because they are. To debase humans to that level degrades them to the level of animals, which is exactly what the nazi's did to them. There are far more effective ways to portray animal cruelty than to pick probably the worst even in human history.

I didnt know that all educated jews supported PETA...sounds like a baseless assumption and stereotype personally. I guess the huge outcry over that was just the uneducated jews then.

12. Slewinca xracer

Slewinca xracer Member

Pardon me rubymontana, but where did you get those quotes? Let me guess, the center for consumer freedom? activist cash? Well if that is the case, let me tell you honey, they aren't doing this for altruism. They are funded by outback steakhouse, phillip morris and many others, are against mothers against drunk driving, the CDC and more. Go here: www.consumerdeception.com
    But let me tackle some of those quotes one by one. (I don't have the time for them all)

Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it. -- Ingrid Newkirk, President, PETA (Vogue, September, 1989).
    The point is animal research may very well not find a cure for AIDS since it's extremely difficult to give an animal even HIV. Face it, animals are different physiologically from humans. If we were the exact same, there would be no need for veterinarians!
    On the consequences of stopping animal research: "Don't get the diseases in the first place, schmo." -- PETA's David Mathews (USA Today, July 27, 1994).
    Ever heard the phrase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"? There are ways to prevent diseases, eating right can prevent heart disease, diabeties, cancer and stroke; safe you-know-what can prevent the spread of AIDS. www.aavs.org www.navs.org and www.pcrm.org can help explain how human research (via epidemiology and other ways) is way better than animal research.
    Six million Jews died in concentration camps, but six billion broiler chickens will die this year in slaughter houses. -- Ingrid Newkirk, PETA's President, The Washington Post, November 13, 1983.
    Please see www.masskilling.com
    There is no rational basis for saying that a human being has special rights. A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. They're all mammals. -- Ingrid Newkirk, PETA's President (in The Washington Times August 29, 1999).
    Animals (at least most of them) are equal in terms of their capability to feel pain and suffer from it. This is how they are alike. There are several books on this topic that are on www.amazon.com that I suggest you check out.
    Surely there will be some nonhuman animals whose lives, by any standards, are more valuable than the lives of some humans. -- Peter Singer, godfather of the animal rights movement, Animal Liberation: A New Ethic for Our Treatment of Animals, 2nd edition, 1990. (Peter Singer is a philosopher upon who's views PETA was founded)
    I don't really know on this one. The guy wasn't perfect, I hear that he didn't think veganism was needed (something that is advocated by PETA). As far as I know PETA has never said or done anything to suggest that some animals are more important than humans, since as I said before, they believe all animals (including humans) are basically equal.
    These are quotes from ALF: It is well documented that PETA funds ALF:

Fire is a tool. Nothing does the amount of damage that fire can. Arson works. Make sure that all buildings or vehicles are free of creatures before lighting one single match. Arson should only be used when it can be guaranteed that the fire will not spread to the sheds the animals are in. -- (In the ALF publication "The Final Nail", under section entitled "Smashing the Furriers").

It would be really great if all these fast-food outlets, slaughter houses, these laboratories and the banks who fund them exploded tomorrow -- Peta Spokesperson Bruce Friedrich.

We are capable of dealing with anyone. No one has died yet but that time will come. -- Keith Mann of ALF, as quoted in the Evening Standard Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause. -- Alex Pacheco, Director, PETA.

I would be overjoyed when the first scientist is killed by a liberation activist. -- Vivien Smith of ALF (USA Today, September 3, 1991).

For one, the ALF (Animal Liberation Front) isn't an organization in terms of having a president and such like PETA. It's a loose-knit group that does things like bombing labs and rescuing animals (<that's the only thing I support the alf in, rescuing animals) and calls themselves ALF. Regarding Bruce's quote, it sounds like wishful thinking. If peace activists said that they wanted gun stores to blow up you wouldn't bat an eye because you know they wouldn't do that. In an action guide from PETA that mentions the animal-freeing actions of the ALF, it sats this: "Not all these actions are necessarily endorsed by PETA, and PETA does not condone illegal activities."

13. Megara

Megara Banned

nice spin. Animals are worth something, just not as much as human beings. Yes, i know, i am the great devil for caring more about humans than animals, i know, save your insults please.

which baseless assumption have i made exactly?

Somethings PETA does are admirable..comparing the holocaust to animals being killed to eat was atrocious.

14. HappyHaHaGirl

Do you remember a year or so ago when some terrorists in the Middle East strapped a bomb to a donkey and set it off, killing some kids and wounding dozens of people? Then PeTA started bitching because the donkey died. They were like, "Yeah, it sucked that those poor innocent children got whacked, but this horrific donkey murder is atrocious!" I'm not making it up. I'll try to find the article. I think it's just ridiculous.

15. HappyHaHaGirl

16. Megara

Megara Banned

thats quite shocking Happy, that people would bitch about a donkey dying when people nearly died.....shows what lack of values some people have.

Didgeridoodoo: note that i said some THINGS...people arent things. Yes, i do believe if someone values animals that much that they think its acceptable to compare the holocaust with animals being killed for sustenance that they are "whackjobs." Sorry, but a human life is worth more. Now before you spin what i say, animals lives arent worthless, quite the contrary..they just arent on the same level as humans.

17. Megara

Megara Banned

*scratches his head* i'm really starting to wonder now...are we reading the same words as each other?

18. interval_illusion

interval_illusion Deceased

Probally not- as some people never did learn reading comprehention. :)

19. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

Actually, I should have been more clear. Educated Jews KNOW that it was a JEWISH HOLOCAUST SURVIVOR who first made the comparison between animals on factory farms and Holocaust victims...not PETA. Those who know this (my Rabbi included) either have no opinion on the campaign or are for it. So, if you want to call anyone a "whackjob" you should call Issac Singer that. He was the one who first made the comparison, not PETA.

20. vinceneilsgirl

vinceneilsgirl Member

Thank you sweetie, this leads me to another point. :)

PETA is working to protect the rights of ALL members of the animal kingdom, both non-human AND human (lets not froget our basic biological facts-humans are animals). A lot of what we say and do is either ignored by the media or twisted by it. It's the same with the other groups I work with...

1. Alley Cat Allies...the myth is that we just want all cats to run wild in the streets. The fact that most people responsibly TNR means nothing, apparently.

2. The American Jewish Committee...the myth is that we only care about the rights of Jews. Silly when you consider the fact that we marched with King.

3. Amnesty International...the myth is that we only care about HR abuses in other countries. Then explain our campaigns against the death penalty here.

4. Anne Frank House...the myth is that the diary isn't authentic. I have no comment for this.

5. Earth Island Institute...the myth is that we want to put people out of jobs. Wrong-we want people to stop using the money excuse as a reason to destroy the environment.

6. The Ginny Fund...same myth as Alley Cat Allies.

See? Rumors and the media in general can't be trusted.