Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Moon_Beam, May 12, 2007.

1. Power_13

Power_13 insult ninja

People who are wrong, but will argue to the death that they're right.

People saying "could care less".

Redundant apostrophe's. Hell, even doing that one as a joke made me wince.

2. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

Historians on Radio 4 who talk in the present tense when describing centuries-past events, as if they're trying to explain things to dim schoolchildren.

3. Moon_Beam

Moon_Beam zaboravljas

Someone changing the channel without asking when anyone when people are clearly watching

People who leave sharp objects like scissors, pencils etc in chairs or beds

People who don't say goodbye before hanging up

People who don't make the bed in the morning

People who blow their nose in front of me

People who along to songs out of time

People who leave drawers, cupboard doors open

People who swear in the middle of every sentence

People you have just met hugging and giving you a kiss on your cheek when you leave

Novelty ties

Fashion (that can be a pet peeve can't it?)

Pet peeve itself

People who see one documentary and then forever more insist that it is true

4. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Could you just sum it up with "people"? :D

If i have a cold, im going to blow my nose whether you happen to be around me or not...Trust me, you wouldnt want it any other way if i decided to refrain:) I would however try do so in a ladylike manner , not in a great load spluttery kind of way

I usually make the bed in the afternoon:D

I leave drawers open

I prefer to say "i love you" or "see you later" or "see you soon" or whatever applies rathr than goodbye...it seems too final

:confused:

I agree about touchy feely when youve just met kind of people though, theyre a pain in the arse

5. Moon_Beam

Moon_Beam zaboravljas

Yeah, I guess I could actually! People annoy me!!

Oooh even the thought makes me feel funny

Well I guess people who don't make the bed once they awake!

Yeah, I mean people who just hang up and not say anything, love you, or see you later is fine!

6. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

I have two pet forum peeves

1) People, who when discussing a topic, start to repeat the same thing over and over again as if by saying it over and over again the other person will say; now that you’ve said it 300 times you’ve convinced me.
    Please, come up with a new way of saying it! Like the Grateful Dead sang; don’t dominate the rap Jack if you’ve got nothing new to say, please don’t block up the track this train’s got to run today!

2) People, who when tactic number one fails, starts calling the other person names. Like calling someone an idiot will cause the other person to say; well of course that’s why I didn’t agree with your argument, I’m a idiot, thanks for pointing that out, now, I agree with you!
    All name calling tells me is that the person has a weak argument and is trying to cover up that fact by calling the other person names!

7. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

Following on from OWB's points: people on forums who think calling other people stupid makes them smart.

Though I think this thread is mostly about "real life" irritations.

Hey Brother, it's a rare pleasure to meet someone older than me here. never trust anyone under 30, that's my watchword.

8. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

gaah, I just had to turn off Start the Week because one of these guys was saying "Stalin's already got control of part of Poland ..."

9. lithium

lithium frogboy

"Somewhat of a..." when it should be "something of a..."

So heh, incorrect use of language generally:tongue:

10. razy

razy Fazed and Contused

those packets of cheese that you just can't open.

and those packets of coffee that you think, ah I can pull the top seal apart, I don't need scissors, but oh brother yes you do :mad:

11. PinkMoon

PinkMoon Senior Member

Lithium: You are a man of sense.

People who get they're, there, and their mixed up

12. mellowthyme

mellowthyme Member

How certain building programmes in this country are more about creating an image/impression rather than achieving quality.

Example; it's been the government's drive to encourage people firstly, to become more active and fit and secondly, to persuade people to use alternative transport. Bullshit rhetoric, I know. So, there' s a new bypass built very near to where I live. This road has the national speed limit and the methods of encouraging cyclists to use the road is to paint a white line and call it a cycle path. It would have been more cost effective to do nothing. It's an absolute waste of time. Anyone who has visited mainland europe would appreciate this. What about spending money on creating a dedicated cycle lane as they have in Holland. It may help people feel more safe to use it, whereas it's really a catastrophe waiting to happen.

13. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

(though i don't do this one as much now)

I just thought i'd compile a list of everyone's pet peeves that if they knew me in real life would make them hate me.

And goodness could people mention 'slow walkers' one more time? I don't think it's been covered enough. :tongue:
    Doesn't seem that people realize some might walk slow because they are in physical pain, and are moving as quick as they can.

I'm adding to the list of pet peeves with my own.

Inconsiderate people.

Pushy people.

People that try to force their beliefs on you (not necessarily religious beliefs, but say even like a vegetarian constantly telling you 'you should be a veggie' everytime you talk to them, i'd consider that a belief as well).

'Hippie-types' that think everything should just be on a trade basis and they should never have to pay for something they want because 'money is evil'. Granted money is evil, but it is also what pays for materials to make things, and pays for the electric so I can see to make an item.

People that sell you something online, and then when the item never actually reaches you over a month later won't do anything to try to help and track down the item because "you should have paid for insurance" when they were charging £14 for postage and another £14 for insurance.

Family members that forget you exist on the biggest holiday of the year and don't call you until a day later saying 'oh i forgot you' even though you called them the eve of the biggest holiday of the year to tell them how much you missed them. This forgetting of theirs leading to you being unable to talk to all the family you would have been able to otherwise.

And finally:
    Mom being unwilling (or maybe forgetting again) to pop a simple small box of Cream of Wheat into a padded envelope and post it over because I can't seem to find it over here, and have been asking for months for this, but still none to be seen.

14. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

what on earth is Cream of Wheat?

must be one of those expat things, the way Brits abroad can't survive without Marmite ...

15. phoenix_indigo

Cream of Wheat [​IMG]

(this person obviously put cinnamon on theirs - i prefer mine with a small bit of butter and a little brown sugar) :)

if anyone knows where to find some here, please give me a clue.

*edit*
    in searching i found a site that sells American food but it's only worth it if i have money to get more than one thing as the postage is £3.99. :eek: so one box of cream of wheat would set me back £8. (would probably cost my mom $6 to buy and post to me) *grumbles* :tongue:

16. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

Looks rather like semolina to me. Have you tried using that as a substitute?

17. phoenix_indigo

semolina is grits and made from corn ;)

18. phoenix_indigo

oops let me correct myself, semolina apparently refers to maize and wheat. how confusing is that. :tongue:

i was always under the misguided impression that semolina was only corn based.

19. lithium

lithium frogboy

Lateness

20. Jaitaiyai

Jaitaiyai Cianpo di tutti capi

being late.