Persuasion by Jane Austen

Discussion in 'Books' started by mick_jagger_is_so_hi, May 23, 2004.

1. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

I very rarely give up on a book once I have started reading it as I think that if I have begun it, I owe it to myself to finish.
    But with this book (although I tried my best) I just couldn't take it. I am a huge fan of Austen and thought this book would be just as fantastic as the others I had previously read. How wrong I was!
    It was long winded, didn't seem to be going anywhere, the characters did not seem to stand out to me AT ALL and it seemed like even Austen herself didn't know what she was doing when writing this book! (which perhaps is true considering this was the last book she completed and she was very ill at the time)
    Has anyone read this book or *gasp* enjoyed it? I thought it was terrible.

2. Indriel

Indriel Member

No, I couldn't finish it, either, it was such hard going & I couldn't relate to any of the characters. I liked Emma, though.

3. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Never read it, I've been scared for live by Pride and Prejudice. Obviously there are some people who dig Austen and some who don't in a big way. And I'm in the latter camp.

TTFN

Sage

4. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

lol, I adored 'Pride and Prejudice' and 'Sense and Sensibility' but I must say 'Persuasion' will make me think twice about going near any of her other books.:p

5. butterfly

butterfly Member

I started reading this book, but only got as far as the first few pages, I do plan to give it a proper go though, but at least it's not just me.

6. Smudge

Smudge Member

Yes, I gave up on it too.

But the BBC made a drama of it not long ago, (I think), and I watched that and it was good.

Nothing can beat the wit of Pride and Prejeudice though:)

7. littleskinny

littleskinny Member

Don't like it at all. Not entirely sure why any of her work is such a big deal *ducks in case objects are thrown*

Read Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, or Makepeace Thackeray's Vanity Fair instead. Or the Forsyte Saga. They say the same things only heaps and heaps better!

8. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

yeah, i remeber seeing the film version when I was a kid. I've tried to read it since - but it just wasn't happening. Like people have said, it's not a patch on P&P. ANother great one though is mansfield park. Anyone read that?

9. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

I loved Anna Karenina, and the Forsyte Saga I have been planning to read for quite sometime! I saw the film of it and it seemed OK.

10. PsychadelicTreeHugge

PsychadelicTreeHugge Member

hey, i read this book. My english teacher gave it to me to read. Havnt reda any other Austen book,s but i actually quite liked it. Yes it is that kind of long descriptive book that i hate, buti t wasnt that bad. I liked the whole description and analysis of inner thought and stuff...