personality vs. looks

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by mariecstasy, May 12, 2004.

1. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

Let's say you meet someone and you think they are amazing. You like everythng about them......their sense of humor, their sense of values, their outlook. You find their way of thinking beautiful and inviting. You learn from them. You long to be with them. You know you have found your soulmate.

Now let's suppose that you know this person inside and out, mainly because they are right for you and there's nothing they do that doesn't intrigue you. But the twist in all of this is you have never met them. You have only talked to them on the phone or read their words on paper or on a screen, perhaps this screen.

So you plan to meet them. You two are super excited about the upcoming union. You plan it! You fly to go see them. You get off the plane and see they across the room holding a sign of "welcome so and so" You go to them. Your heart is pumping, you can't believe it is finally here, the moment you have been waiting for. You get to them and find them very unattractive.

Would this change the way you feel?

2. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

forgot to answer my own question

I would hope that it wouldn't make a difference to me. I would hope that I would view the person through our spiritual connection and not with my earthly eyes. I would tend to believe that if I ahve felt so strongly about them thenI would continue to see them with my heart and not my ego.
    But I don't know.
    Can you answer this with all honesty

3. 7river

7river on a distinguished path

no.

as i think i shared with you, this happened to me with someone from the forums.
    although she is atractive, it was not an issue. there was a connection and it did not change at the airport.

4. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

nope you must have me mixed w/ someone else. i didnt know this of you

5. 7river

well i shared this with kim. sometimes i think the stories i share with her i share with you and vice versa...i should just send two copies of my emails/pm's for now on:) you two have very similar energy.

6. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

we noticed that when we met. and when we discuss our lives and views and such.......we find that we may have parrallel lives! its amazing. i love that woman so much. you have good taste in friends

7. Lilyrayne

Lilyrayne Chrisppie

This happened to me once. It was NOT a romantic relationship, just a really good friendship (or so I thought).

I took notice of the fact that this person wasn't that good looking, but that was about it, I really didn't notice after that becuase I liked who I thought they were so much.

On the contrary, I once met someone that turned out to be really good looking but he had such a bad vibe, I turned right around and left. He never even saw me.

8. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

yes there is a person who I think has a great vibe, great personality.... shes been one of my best friends for a couple years now, and I totally dig her, yet she has a significant other :/

9. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

madcrappie.........that sucks.it sucks when its a love without hope of a future

10. 7river

there is always hope for the future of this love...you must know this and continue taking in the experince life gives you until one day you both will burst into infinite light
    and then you may meet again

11. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

now that reminds me of my favourite song in this wholewide world
    it is The Promise by Tracy Chapman. i do not know her real meaning behind the words. i do not know if it is 2 lovers that have already met in this life and have gotten seperated by some means and are hoping to be back together.

or if(and this is how i see it) they are 2 lovers that havent yet met in this world and know of each other. are very familiar w/ the warm embrace of each other. the kisses of each other. of the chemistry of being w/ the other.
    everytime i hear this song from day one. it makes me cry. it makes me feel that my soulmate is out there and we will be connected. i love this song so so so so much.
    download it if you have never heard it

12. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

when i first met my glorious husband, i did not find him physcially attractive at all, aside from the hot ass (he does have an excellent body, exactly like that David statue). it was something else more basic and unseeable, like gravity that pulled me to him. in fact, it wasn't until i had been with him for a few months, in fact had moved in with him,when he smiled at me one time and something changed inside of me. all of the sudden, his enormous smile, his everything, made my heart flip over. he was gorgeous! who knew? i didn't! but that was over 6 years ago, and every time i look at him i think "how did i EVER find him anything less that totally, absolutely beautiful?" something changes in you head when you heart decides you need to shift your paradigm. you find out beauty really is in the eye of the beholder, just give it time, patience, and don't fight it for the sake of your own ego.

13. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

that was very touchy kc. i am glad that you have a love so strong in your life!!!

14. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

Looks definitely do not matter to me when I have a connection with someone. The thing is, when you love someone, or have that beautiful bond with them, they are amazingly beautiful in your eyes. They shine, and there's no flaws. :)

15. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i agree. this is how i feel. but i learned a long time ago that you dont know how you would react. that is why i stated how i feel i would react

16. antithesis

antithesis Hello

People won't believe me probably, but that's ok because I know I mean what I say, but I don't think I would find them unattractive if I liked everything about them. I am being completely honest when I say that it is someone's personality that makes them attractive or unattractive to me.

17. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i completely believe you / that is what i was trying to say too

18. antithesis

antithesis Hello

Thanks Marie, I hate being disbelieved.

Something that happens to me all the time is that I think someone is completely beautiful and everyone else is like, "OMG, they are soooo ugly".

19. olhippie54

olhippie54 Touch Of Grey Lifetime Supporter

That happened to me last year. I talked to this person online, on the phone. Exchanged letters. I had pics of her and knew she wasn't beautiful, but in the pics she did seem at least nice looking. I made the trip to Australia to visit her and upon meeting her at the airport I was a bit shocked. She's 5 years younger then me, but looked all old and weather worn. However, I had one of the best 2 weeks of my life. We chose not to continue with any intimate relationship because of the distance. But, it was an experience I'll never forget or regret.

20. Sus

Sus Hip Forums Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I had that experience once...met someone online, and just fell in love...when I saw a picture of the person, they were not at all my "type"...but it didn't matter...I lost the relationship when the person's significant other (which I didn't know about) came back on the scene...my heart was just broken. We met in person later, and it was an interesting experience...but never got to a romantic place.So, I just kept moving right along...