Peoples Parks

Discussion in 'Back to the Garden' started by keralovell, Apr 18, 2016.

1. keralovell

keralovell Members

Hi everyone,

I am writing a book on how people protested in the late-1960s and early-1970s by reclaiming vacant lots and converting them into "People's Parks." Although Berkeley's People's Park is remembered as an isolated incident, my research traces an international movement of these activist-created urban green spaces. I've found more than 50 People's Parks from Berkeley to Johannesburg. In addition to finding information on new locations, my work analyzes how these parks were designed as well as the activities that took place in these parks. I am interested in speaking with people who have memories of the designs of and experiences in these spaces.

Please contact me via reply post or email if you have more information.

Thanks!

Kera Lovell
    keralovell@gmail.com

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i know there was one in portland oregon that was next to a catholic church that had a soup line. it had been created before i was there, and the last time i was there was in 87.
    it was really quite beautiful, though rather small.

3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I visited the "Peoples Park" in Changzhou China When I was Working there, Fascinating Place and So peaceful I never Wanted To Leave The Place
    All The footpaths through The park were Made of Old Ceramic Electrical Insulators It was Fantastic