People who trip but don't bother to grow

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by unfocusedanakin, Jun 15, 2018.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Have you ever known a person who just does not seem to get the benefits of psychedelics? For me personally it's stuff like they continue to own guns, to be raicst, to be ignorant and selfish in general. They seem to treat the trip as as a casual high and it's just fun to see walls melt. They have no interest in the so called "hippie" elements of it and remain very hateful to the hippie lifestyle or any real growth in any area of their life.

You don't have to be a flower child who does not eat meat to benefit from a trip but it is sad and frustrating to me because tripping makes me ask what I can do for others not what I should do for myself. But it is prof to me that psychedelics are not magic. They can show you things but you still need to want to see them or to change. You can lead a horse to water but you can not make them drink as the old expression goes.

Too many people think if they get racist uncle Rick to take some LSD he will be a new person. If only it were that simple.

Codemouse and Epikepitepi like this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't think it's a realistic expectation to think everyone will or should trip the same or have the same feelings of intent or what not while they are tripping or to even "grow up" which I find entertaining in the way that someone thinks tripping on drugs is "grown up" or mature lol. But yeah, probably tripping on drugs isn't the answer I don't think.

pensfan13 and SpacemanSpiff like this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

There's some judgemental tone in the OP. You try to nuance it a little in your last sentence, but to me it just contradicts a little too much with the first paragraph. Like there is something wrong with not seeing change in another person after psych trips, or even with taking certain psychedelics mainly to have a good time.

Yes, most people i did magic shrooms with were in it for the fun, thrill and general amazement. Not to consciously improve their life or being. So what?

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Tripping can only work on what's already inside your head.

We can see that in the case of Charles Manson and Timothy Leary.
    Mason was insane to begin with and tripping certainly didn't help him out, and Leary went overboard thinking LSD would save the world.

scratcho likes this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think intention matters. Not everyone who trips goes into it with the intention to grow, some people just want to have a few hours of fun

Shrooms are really weird anyways because no two trips will ever be the same. Someone could trip 3 or 4 times and just have a laugh, not really have a deeper experience at all, then the 5th time they may totally get their ass kicked and have an epiphany or two

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Sounds familair :p I preferred the fun lighter experiences myself (oooh shallow! ;))

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It is interesting to me that someone could have a psychedelic experience and remain racist, but I don't think that I've tripped with anyone that is racist anyways.

As far as ignorance and selfishness go, ignorance is kind of a broad term. I think for well intentioned explorers there is usually a type of experiential knowledge gained on the formative trips, where I think the fragility of ego and much of the constructs of reality and thoughts are revealed, but I think usually one of two things tends to happen for those who don't learn from it, the person either has difficulty integrating the experience back into their normal state of consciousness so instead of persistently trying to analyze the trip, they'll acknowledge it but basically move on or they'll continue to trip and as Meliai alluded to, the trips may vary and what once was ego dissolution might change into Meglomania and then it's kind of like a zero-sum effect.

I also think with the popularity of Micro-dosing and low doses, some people probably aren't even getting full blown psychedelic experiences.

8. MeAgain

Let's say you have an extreme spiritual experience during a trip.
    Once you come down you have to integrate that experience into your normal world view. This is where the problem lies.
    Some people think they met a god of a certain religion.
    Some think they're God.
    Some think they have united with the All, or everything.
    Etc.

Here are some good resources.

scratcho likes this.
  9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

You cannot really predict the outcome of a trip before you get started.

Sometimes I've had wonderful spiritual experiences that've broadened my horizons and expanded my mind a bit more. Psychdelics can expand the mind into new horizons. And there've been times when I just have fun watching some crazy visuals, as well as seeing and hearing music differently. Then, you also have the risk of having a trip that's so bad, that you wanna veer away from psychedelics for a while.

I've had trips that were so bad on mushrooms, that I was convinced that humanity had to get rid of all our shoes so we could return to the ground, and be back to nature. As it will be our only salvation, as time is running out. And that urban living, concrete, and carpeted flooring is killing us softly.

10. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Yeah, what a bunch of idiots. I bet they voted for Trump too.

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

Have you ever known a person who just does not seem to get the benefits of psychedelics? What exactly do you mean by benefits..
    I was taking LSD in my teens and I joined the Army reserves. LSD didnt change my mind to not enter into the military complex. I do blame myself and stupid drug use in my late teens and 20s may have prevented me from being a helicopter pilot. I can fly this bitch if we need to. Combat pilots were more in need the time and no use for commercial, I just didnt feel like killing a motherfucker in my flying lawnmower then either .. And I could not do the math. :confused:

For me personally it's stuff like they continue to own guns, to be raicst, to be ignorant and selfish in general. There is a shooting in my hood almost weekly.. I am a near a 50yr old man. Ive paid well over 7grand to gain my rights to carry. A corrupt criminal court judge had my brother killed to cover her dirty work and Im supposed to trust government.. Actually I have a very good relationship with law enforcement now....And time mends all wounds and respect is returned to where it is deserved.

They seem to treat the trip as as a casual high and it's just fun to see walls melt.

I like watching the walls melt.. I remember the first time we ate some morning glory seeds. probably 13yrs old. My house had a gold wall that matched to white.. Seeing the walls wiggle was indeed interesting.. I still have the clock from the family house then that sat in the middle of the wall, and Id watch it melt away..
    They have no interest in the so called "hippie" elements of it and remain very hateful to the hippie lifestyle or any real growth in any area of their life.
    Its not much a movement anymore.. I play in a band with some geezers and hipsters.. not to excited about any movement to over turn the government..

You don't have to be a flower child who does not eat meat to benefit from a trip

I eat well, I dont need LSD to tell me how to eat.. I dont eat fast food however.. I do give fast food away to persons. Ive probably given away 1000$ worth of fast food since I started my job reviewing fast food joints.

but it is sad and frustrating to me because tripping makes me ask what I can do for others not what I should do for myself.
    Even Jesus had limits. You can not possibly give yourself to all. I need a place to stay where you live, am I welcome to crash your crib?? ...

But it is prof to me that psychedelics are not magic.
    Environment plays a heavy role, cant change shit with others, even if you are gold inside..

They can show you things but you still need to want to see them or to change.
    Does not change stereotype.. How you go to get some fuel for your car and be assaulted by ignorant rap music.?? Is LSD going to make me somehow love the words I wish no to type out this time in public..

You can lead a horse to water but you can not make them drink as the old expression goes.

Sometimes the horse needs to get out the pasture and experience the shitholes that are not watering holes..

Too many people think if they get racist uncle Rick to take some LSD he will be a new person. If only it were that simple.

If only the government would blanket fog/smoke/dust with LSD some shithole neighborhoods.. so a bitch would stop killing a mofo..

12. unfocusedanakin

Well since you brought it up yes. Anyone who would do that does not get it.

And some of the people in question have confirmed what I suspected. People enjoy being high.

13. unfocusedanakin

Sounds like I became what I hate

Codemouse likes this.
  14. Peaceful_LotusFlower

Peaceful_LotusFlower Member

I only tried mushrooms once and I took it as a learning experience since I've never been through something like that before. I know everyone comes out differently once they come down off of it. I tried not to focus on what others seem to say or think from what they learned and just took in my own thoughts. I suffer from PTSD and it was very beneficial for me. I've seen life for what it was and stopped taking things for granted that I was before. I saw things for what they were and was more aware of things. If I could, I would want to grow them. The problem is where it lies is I know nothing about growing or how to go about it. I could always learn though. Many people trip just to say they tripped balls. My experience was very different and I mostly took it everything I felt, saw, heard and tried not to take from what others have said. I've heard many stories where they thought the tree's were speaking to them. Nothing like that happened to me and would I want that to happen? I'm not sure. I don't regret my experience and glad for what it was. I've heard many crazy stories and I think a lot of it is for what people want to see or wish to see. It all depends on the person, but than again I'm not an expert to this so again I can't truly say. I'm speaking only by my opinion. I have much more to learn about psychedelics and wonder if there's a book on it. :) I'd love to hear other people's thoughts.

15. MeAgain

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

17. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I can't imagine how someone could trip and NOT grow. sad

18. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

So when I tripped and was picturing the little man in my throat trying to push the pizza back up was that something spiritual that I missed?

Asmodean likes this.
  19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

"Beware of unearned wisdom" warned Carl Jung of the products of psychedelic use.

Something to be said for that in this thread.

20. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Carl Jung also had a sado-masochistic relationship with one of his patients. But I somewhat agree with him in the example you cite above.