penn and teller

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by Willy_Wonka_27, May 19, 2004.

1. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

have your ever seen that one episoad of penn and tellers Bullshit on showtime

the one about how the government is lieing to us about recycleing helping the earth...but its really costing us more money ....and producing more energy and wast

and they say that 1000 years of americas trash if land filled insted of recycled could fit in a small 35 by 35 mi plot...

this episoad really intrigued me...its sorta like the government is brainwashing us...

but i belive that soon the recycling industry will be refined and will be cheeper and produce less energy

heres the web site for that episoad http://www.sho.com/site/ptbs/topics.do?topic=r

ive been thinking about boycotting recycleing ...but i dont have all the facts yet

2. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

I saw the episode, but it's nothing I didn't know already. I have a solution to end all garbage problems: I say we just clear out the state of Montana (y'know, give the residents a hundred bucks or so for their trouble, their houses are on wheels anyway so it's not much to ask) and build a big fuckin dump over it. Then we use life-sentenced prisoners/death row people as forced labor to run the place. Problem solved. Hell, with all that space we could probably take in a bunch of Canada and Mexico's garbage as well, it'll even help us climb out of the budget deficit!

So who's with me?

3. adigaskell

adigaskell Member

Bjorn Lomberg said pretty much that exact same thing in his book 'The Sceptical Environmentalist'. Does make you wonder.

4. Tamee

Tamee naked

I don't understand that.

5. MaxPower

MaxPower Kicker Of Asses

Don't understand what?

6. Tamee

Tamee naked

that is what I don't understand.

7. ~Sam~

~Sam~ Cosmic Traveler

I watch Penn & Teller, saw that episode too...

Landfills are a Very different animal from those of even the 60's, 70's and 80's.

They're now lined with geotec clothe, piped and plumbed to remove the leachate. The leachate is treated onsite, and returned via trickle filters to the landfill.

The process is so effective that after a few years, the water is fit to drink, the bottom layer of fill does not turn anaerobic, and the individual landfill cells are reduced in size and their viablitliy is significantly increased by years.

Now... even though Penn & Teller might have been right in their proclamations, consider this...

What would all those guys who tip our recycle bins into the dumpster do for a living? And like P&T said; "It gives us something to do that makes us feel better about ourselves doing Something for the environment."

I miss having glass jars of all sizes around though. I can't find gallon glass jars, or even quart glass jars to put my goat milk into for my customers... goat milk wouldn't taste too good stored in plastic containers... uck! makes me wince.

8. Muzz

Muzz Member

Real men do their own recycling. :D