Pencil

Discussion in 'Home Schooling' started by Alanaw, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Alanaw

Alanaw Members

Hi. Are there any artists here? I need an advice. I'm looking for mechanical pencils. Who what uses?

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I still have my old England Eagle Turquoise 10 lead holders.
    [​IMG]
    They hold 2 mm lead I believe, and have a clutch mechanism. You push the button on top and the lead frees up so you can slide it in and out. I used them for drafting mainly. You can put in any hardness of lead you want.
    To sharpen them I used one of these:
    [​IMG]
    That's a Frederick Post Cast Iron Drafting Pencil Sharpener Model 1099 #12. You put the pen in and turn the top around.
    I don't have one of those anymore so I use a cheaper plastic model something like this:
    [​IMG]
    Faber Castell still makes a clutch pencil for around 11 bucks.
    Clutch pencil TK 9400 2mm 0H (#139420)

[​IMG]

3. Alanaw

Alanaw Members

I found another. You can read this article Best Mechanical Pencils: Top 10 on WoWPencils and do conclusions. I use Zebra DelGuard and I like it. What do u think?

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I'd go with the Staedtler, I've used those. But note it needs a pointer (sharpener).

That's one reason I like theses types of pens, you can sharpen them to a point or use sandpaper and flatten one side..

5. I'm a fan of the pacer pencil that way you don't need a sharpener.
    However, In my drawing class we have to have a range of greylead pencils.
    you know 2b - 8h

6. this is fun

this is fun Banned

Just bought a 12 pack of paper mates pacer pencils.

7. LittleFritter

LittleFritter Members

I only use mechanical pencils for light outlines before I go to work with my heavier pencils, so the ones I use aren't anything special; just whatever is cheap at Walmart. For the refined art over the initial mech pencil outlines I use Wolfe's carbon pencils exclusively. They're by far the best and the come in B, 2B, 4B and 6B (hardest to softest). They're easier to sharpen than charcoal and far smoother.

MeAgain likes this.